What bizarre rules issues have you encountered?

Re: What bizarre rules issues have you encountered?

Personal Immunity to running: means you don't move.

On the whole "area" of affect doesn't go up bit... while I agree that that isn't fair, technically, by the vocabulary used, isn't it correct? Wouldn't it be more appropriate to say "Volume of Affect" to indicate 3D splash zones?

Edit: of course beyond the automatic default (I believe) that all powers can be considered as one hex tall, if necessary.

If we were going to go that literally then we would require a Power called Physical Blast because "Energy Blast" can only go vs ED, since it is "Energy."

Using literal logic based on what we mechanically name something is bad form on the best of days.

and yes, all Powers are considered 1 Hes Tall if appropriate (Force Wall).

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By any chance was there a new star in the East about that time?
No, but the sun goddess was trapped in the forest by said unicorn. And the forest was the easternmost part of the world.

So kinda?

And yes, the baby is the messiah

One messed up messiah, too, if he ever finds out the last unicorn tried to eat him as a fetus.

My GM is messed up - but a great story-maker

If we were going to go that literally then we would require a Power called Physical Blast because "Energy Blast" can only go vs ED, since it is "Energy."

Using literal logic based on what we mechanically name something is bad form on the best of days.

and yes, all Powers are considered 1 Hes Tall if appropriate (Force Wall).

GURPS also defines all AOE powers to be 2 hexes (6 ft.) tall. So I have to give the GM a break.

I think I'd say that the villian shouldn't be able to time his jump to actually miss the AOE. How do you see an Instant power coming and then have time to jump over it? Doesn't make sense.

Or if Instant powers actually take an entire segment or phase, then how do you levitate your whole body in the air for a full second, or worse a whole phase?

Not too many weird rules here, just weird players. Rabid dwarves for starters. Then there's hobbits who ride lions. Just, no.

I think I'd say that the villian shouldn't be able to time his jump to actually miss the AOE. How do you see an Instant power coming and then have time to jump over it? Doesn't make sense.

Or if Instant powers actually take an entire segment or phase, then how do you levitate your whole body in the air for a full second, or worse a whole phase?

IIRC he had a half phase reserved, and aborted to a dive for cover. Again, flight or 14 inches leaping and I would not have said a word. But an inch and a half?

IIRC he had a half phase reserved' date=' and aborted to a dive for cover. Again, flight or 14 inches leaping and I would not have said a word. But an inch and a half?[/quote']

Would that be a good Limit for an AOE power? Surface only, anyone can hop over it like playing jumprope?

Certain ice powers that freeze the ground like a "curtain" sweeping over the terrain. Once the leading edge has moved past you, you're safe (you're also frozen, if you didn't jump, but the frozen area needs to no longer be "active", if those without Personal Immunity want to walk over it later).

Would that be a good Limit for an AOE power? Surface only' date=' anyone can hop over it like playing jumprope?[/quote']

There are a few powers like that in the USPD that are AoE with 'Only vs targets on the ground', which could easily be rephrased as 'only vs targets in contact with surface'. Generally stuff like Earthquakes and Ice Sheets.

Would that be a good Limit for an AOE power? Surface only' date=' anyone can hop over it like playing jumprope?[/quote']

That actually is a good question. Radius by definition (and Explosion, Cone etc) by definition exist in three dimensions. Is there a suitable area effet for a 2 dimensional space? Maybe a -1/2 on the AE? Or maybe -x1/2 on the AE? I hate to use multiples (x2, x1/2) on powers because it can lead to some funky non-friendly math (especially with Disads) but this might work out okay.

There is also the 2-Dimensional (-1/4) limitation for AOEs and Explosions

Found page ref: 250 in 5Er

I personally agree that it should be worth a little bit more than -1/4, especially for radius.

And if a player tried attaching this to an AOE line...:ugly:

Lets just say I'd be a bit annoyed if I suspected it wasn't an innocent mistake

Interestingly enough, when these threads were up on the board a few monthes back, this was actually an issue in our game.

The wizard was pregnant, and we encountered a unicorn. She was actually dumb enough to go off alone into the forest with it. We were all very surprised that she escaped unharmed.

I'm sorry, I've read your later posts.

Apparently the unicorn was quite evil... but I don't get the reference from which this is drawn.

Explain?

Edit: If there is a specific AOE 2D limitation available, then by default I would have no hesitation in ruling that by default AOE is 3D (in the unlikely chance there was some disagreement). Even if there wasn't, I would still rule so. I would just pause for a second to gather my thoughts on how to best explain why this is messed up to be any other way.

Interesting. 3 pages in and the best we can do with regard to bizarre rules issues is bizarre GM or player behaviour - and my observation is that that is largely system independant.

Speaks well for hero system.

Cheers, Mark

LAW_sign.jpg

This hard-hitting and emotional series from NBC’s “Law & Order” brand chronicles the life and crimes of the Sheet Audit Unit of the New York Police Department, the elite squad of detectives who investigate points-based crimes. Created by Emmy Award-winning producer Steve Long, “Law & Order: Character Sheet Unit" is now entering its seventh season. Combined with “Law & Order” -- the second longest-running drama series in the history of television -- and “Law & Order: Supervillainous Intent,” the brand marks an impressive milestone this Fall celebrating its 600th combined episode on a 14 or less.

The only one I can think of is what happens to the stun damage when you blast through an Entangle to hurt someone inside. It's not defined in the rules... according to Steve the entangled character takes Stun - (Def + body remaining of the entangle).

-Nate

The only one I can think of is what happens to the stun damage when you blast through an Entangle to hurt someone inside. It's not defined in the rules... according to Steve the entangled character takes Stun - (Def + body remaining of the entangle).

-Nate

It is defined in the rules. The Entangle's DEF+BODY act as Armor vs any attack that hits the character, with the exact same mechanics of any other defense (as far as the application of STUN and BODY to the target are concerned).

It is defined in the rules. The Entangle's DEF+BODY act as Armor vs any attack that hits the character' date=' with the exact same mechanics of any other defense (as far as the application of STUN and BODY to the target are concerned).[/quote']

Can you give a cite from 5th or 5er for that?

Fourth edition stated that clearly:

When the Entangled character is attacked' date=' The Entangle absorbs STUN and BODY equal to the total of its DEF + BODY, then the Entangled character takes the remaining damage normally.[/quote']

but I can find no such text in 5er.

I assume that it's still that way, but I don't see it actually spelled out.

I unfortunately don't have the book with me, but I can look when I get home unless someone else beats me to it.

I met a GM once who had outlawed Elemental Controls and forced all players to take a Multipower of useful abilities, including most of the "special" powers such as Life Support. Even more odd, he was perfectly okay with any sort of VPP and encouraged their use in game, especially cosmic ones.

I met a GM once who had outlawed Elemental Controls

That reminds me. Did not see this, but heard of a GM that insisted an elemental control could have only one of four Sx.

Earth, Air, Fire or Water.

LAW_sign.jpg

This hard-hitting and emotional series from NBC’s “Law & Order†brand chronicles the life and crimes of the Sheet Audit Unit of the New York Police Department, the elite squad of detectives who investigate points-based crimes. Created by Emmy Award-winning producer Steve Long, “Law & Order: Character Sheet Unit" is now entering its seventh season. Combined with “Law & Order†-- the second longest-running drama series in the history of television -- and “Law & Order: Supervillainous Intent,†the brand marks an impressive milestone this Fall celebrating its 600th combined episode on a 14 or less.

:rofl:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Egyptoid again. (crap)

5ER p167 Attacking An Entagled Character (bottom right column)

After Subtracting the BODY+DEF of the Entangle from the attack apply damage normally.

5ER p167 Attacking An Entagled Character (bottom right column)

After Subtracting the BODY+DEF of the Entangle from the attack apply damage normally.

After reading that section, and rereading, I have to side with Dr. Device that the book isn't clear. I stand by what I said and believe it to be official, but according to what is written in the book, it makes it sound like the Entangled character is immune to harm (except from NND type attacks) until the Entangle is destroyed. The exact phrasing almost says exactly that: "After the attack does damage equal to the Entangle's current DEF+BODY, the Entangle is destroyed and the Entangled character takes the remaining damage (if any) normally." (Long, Hero System Fifth Edition: Revised, p. 167) Well, maybe not exactly that, but it seems to imply that the Entangled character only takes damage once the Entangle is destroyed, as this is the only statement relating to how an Entangled character takes damage from normal attacks.

I would go with that you have to first destroy the Entangle before you can do any damage to the character (assuming that the Entangle is not transparent to the appropriate type of damage). This would make the Entangle opperate more like a Force Wall or a Vehicle, which I would prefer to it working like a Force Field or Armor.

I've always treated the remaining DEF+BODY as defenses for the Entangled character, with extra STUN damage still getting through even if the Entangle isn't destroyed by the attack. Otherwise you end up with a rather efficient method of creating sniper mentalists. It also doesn't make sense that normal attacks should have no effect if the Entangle isn't broken through, but NNDs, Drains, Flashs, etc all have full effect.