What bizarre rules issues have you encountered?

What seemingly bizarre rules issue(s) have you encountered and how did they come up?

I'd especially like to find out how about that one in the faq, about a pregnant woman's defenses applying to the fetus.

Please, share your stories - and, hopefully, some laughter -.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: What bizarre rules issues have you encountered?

A GM once told me a villian with no flight or superleap could dodge a 6d6 area effect by jumping upward.

"He's got a 15 STR, he can leap a hex and a half straight up."

"The area effect has a 6 hex radius. He's still in the area."

"No, it's area, a circle, not a sphere. It's only 2 dimensional. It doesn't go up."

IIRC I finished the evening and didn't go back.

A GM once told me a villian with no flight or superleap could dodge a 6d6 area effect by jumping upward.

"No, it's area, a circle, not a sphere. It's only 2 dimensional. It doesn't go up."

I wouldn't have even finished the evning. Any GM that lets crap like that go by i want no part of.

RE The Pregnancy Question in the FAQ... a year or two ago there were a couple Pregnancy threads and I think it came out of one of those discussions.

Guest Celt

"He's got a 15 STR' date=' he can leap a hex and a half straight up.... No, it's area, a circle, not a sphere. It's only 2 dimensional. It doesn't go up."[/quote']

See, now that's just jerking around. I'd have done the same as you.

I would have calmly asked how to buy an AoE attack with a spherical area and see what his answer was. Likely he'd fumble around a bit, unable to give a straight answer, then even agree that he was wrong or adamantly say he's right. If he persists that he's right, then I'd demand a rule to make AoE attacks affect a sphere. The GM may be always right, but that doesn't make him smart.

I would have calmly asked how to buy an AoE attack with a spherical area and see what his answer was. Likely he'd fumble around a bit' date=' unable to give a straight answer, then even agree that he was wrong or adamantly say he's right. If he persists that he's right, then I'd demand a rule to make AoE attacks affect a sphere. The GM may be always right, but that doesn't make him smart.[/quote']

I did, his answer was buy "any area" and stack them.

[edit] BTW, I should have mentioned this was pre-FRed. BBB, or possibly even 3rd edition. FRed is very specific about radius indicating a sphere, not a circle.

Well its not so much a rule but a lack of imagination.

I ran into a GM that was running a 2nd/3rd Edition AD&D game that a bunch of us attended just once (mostly to support the organisation in uni). Whenever you rolled a fumble you threw your sword into the forest.

A few months later he wanted to try his hand at hero. Roll a fumble and you threw your bracer/sword/gun/arm into the forest.

SIGH.

I don't recall many truly bizzar rules issues, but I do remember once when one charactrer was engangled and wanted to use her sonic scream to escape. According to the rules, she should be able to do this, as her sonic scream was just an EB (no Modifiers). This was in fourth edition so there were no rules concerning Point of Origin, but I ruled that because of her SFX, she should not use her EB to escape the Entangle. This causes a bit of an arguement, but I stood by my decision, stating that there were several things her EB could do (or I'd allow it to do) that other EBs could not, such as automatically break a suitable fragile object, such as something made of glass, crystal or ceramic, without even making an attack roll (and could occasionally due to across an area). She could also routinely get a bonus using her EB as her voice when she speaks during the PRE Attack.

She eventually bought a Damage Shield to use vs Entangles, defined as a sonic resonance through her Force Field.

What's so weird about a fetus getting the mother's defenses? Full Cover is Full Cover.

I prefer to think of the mother as having a Limited Entangle that blocks the Sight Group and is Vulnerable to attacks from the inside (when the baby's of the appropriate str, the little tyke can bust out with only a few hours work... in most cases).

What's so weird about a fetus getting the mother's defenses? Full Cover is Full Cover.

I believe the original question actually asked about Mental Def.

I couldn't find it in a search though.... My Hero Boards Search Fu sucks.

What was the question? Can you Mind Control a baby? That's one way to induce labor I hadn't considered...

What was the question? Can you Mind Control a baby? That's one way to induce labor I hadn't considered...

you know, it was one of those threads I only half followed and didn't contribute to. I don't remember the exact nature of the original question...

Back when I was GMing Runequest I rulled that a pregnant woman and the foetus added their POW together to resist hostile magic. Don't remember my reasoning.

Back when I was GMing Runequest I rulled that a pregnant woman and the foetus added their POW together to resist hostile magic. Don't remember my reasoning.

Instinctual self preservation...?

Sounds like the basic Resisting Hostile Magic rules for cooperating characters. Unless the fetus didn't cooperate, in which case straight to bed no dessert! Ahh, POW and RuneQuest. Good times.

The mother's MD protecting the fetus? WTF? Only if it was UBO or AE.

Hmm. The only really weird rules issue I can remember (other than some slightly flaky, if legal, constructions) is someone who thought, nay INSISTED, that buying Personally Immune on his Running meant he didn't take as much rebound damage when he did Move-Throughs/Bys.

Sounds like the basic Resisting Hostile Magic rules for cooperating characters. Unless the fetus didn't cooperate, in which case straight to bed no dessert! Ahh, POW and RuneQuest. Good times.

The mother's MD protecting the fetus? WTF? Only if it was UBO or AE.

Even if the fetus were not a fully developed sencience yet?

Hmm. The only really weird rules issue I can remember (other than some slightly flaky' date=' if legal, constructions) is someone who thought, nay INSISTED, that buying Personally Immune on his Running meant he didn't take as much rebound damage when he did Move-Throughs/Bys.[/quote']Hate to admit I tried that once. Didn't get away with it.

Hate to admit I tried that once. Didn't get away with it.

Well, when he tried that stunt in my game (the guy was addicted to speedsters, I swear), and he didn't listen when I told him that wasn't how it worked and he was to buy +X PD, only vs. Recoil damage and didn't ...

Well, he tried to run and didn't move. :)

Personal Immunity to running: means you don't move.

On the whole "area" of affect doesn't go up bit... while I agree that that isn't fair, technically, by the vocabulary used, isn't it correct? Wouldn't it be more appropriate to say "Volume of Affect" to indicate 3D splash zones?

Edit: of course beyond the automatic default (I believe) that all powers can be considered as one hex tall, if necessary.

Personal Immunity to running: means you don't move.

On the whole "area" of affect doesn't go up bit... while I agree that that isn't fair, technically, by the vocabulary used, isn't it correct? Wouldn't it be more appropriate to say "Volume of Affect" to indicate 3D splash zones?

Edit: of course beyond the automatic default (I believe) that all powers can be considered as one hex tall, if necessary.

Picky, picky, picky. ;)

I'd especially like to find out how about that one in the faq, about a pregnant woman's defenses applying to the fetus.

Interestingly enough, when these threads were up on the board a few monthes back, this was actually an issue in our game.

The wizard was pregnant, and we encountered a unicorn. She was actually dumb enough to go off alone into the forest with it. We were all very surprised that she escaped unharmed.

Interestingly enough, when these threads were up on the board a few monthes back, this was actually an issue in our game.

The wizard was pregnant, and we encountered a unicorn. She was actually dumb enough to go off alone into the forest with it. We were all very surprised that she escaped unharmed.

By any chance was there a new star in the East about that time?