Nickelback "Saving Me" Power - SPOILER!!!

kjamma4

How would you model the “power†in the Nickelback video of their song, “Saving Me?â€

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

A guy is saved from being hit by a bus and he suddenly can see numbers floating above the heads of everyone on the street (and also the numbers of an unborn child still in the womb). The numbers represent the number of seconds left in that person’s life. He cannot see any numbers above his own head. He sees a woman with rapidly decreasing numbers and saves her (presumably “adding†to her numbers) and then the woman has the power as well.

Re: Nickelback "Saving Me" Power - SPOILER!!!

To me this is, depending on how much information you want to give to players and how much you want to spread the power about, either precognition or danger sense with a limited 'sticky' advantage.

The seconds are indicitive of how much time a person has in their life without some external action - otherwise you would not be able to 'save' them and pass on the power. The numbers are simply SFX.

As a GM I'd be leery of giving this to a PC as indicated as they would be asking all the time about people - I might simply have an aura that changes colour when someone is close to their end-point.

Doc

To me this is, depending on how much information you want to give to players and how much you want to spread the power about, either precognition or danger sense with a limited 'sticky' advantage.

The seconds are indicitive of how much time a person has in their life without some external action - otherwise you would not be able to 'save' them and pass on the power. The numbers are simply SFX.

As a GM I'd be leery of giving this to a PC as indicated as they would be asking all the time about people - I might simply have an aura that changes colour when someone is close to their end-point.

Doc

Good comprimise... probably a "Simple" Sight based Detect... and much easier to juidicate.

Good idea. It might be standard with the player/character to just note when someone is in the "red."

[As a side note, I'd consider this as much a curse as a blessing. Imagine knowing the time a loved one had left and every thing you did might change that number. You'd spend your entire day fiddling with things to increase the number (and of course missing out on doing things to enjoy the time you had with them). Shudder.]

Detect Life Expectancy, Sense. No Conscious Control, Independent.

The power is a curse. You can see how long every person you look at has to live. You can't turn it off. The only way to get rid of it is to pass it along to someone you've saved from an accidental/untimely death.

Detect Life Expectancy, Sense. No Conscious Control, Independent.

The power is a curse. You can see how long every person you look at has to live. You can't turn it off. The only way to get rid of it is to pass it along to someone you've saved from an accidental/untimely death.

And in the video, it's not entirely clear if saving someone rids you of the power/curse.

And in the video' date=' it's not entirely clear if saving someone rids you of the power/curse.[/quote']

Yes, it's clear. The first man is standing around and frantic looking at the corner, and then after he saves the man from getting hit by the truck he has a peaceful expression. The same with the second man after he saves the woman and you see his perspective and there're no numbers over everyone, and then you see the woman's and she is seeing all the numbers.

In the Wild Cards series, there's an ace gang leader named Warlock who claims to have the power to curse his enemies so that they die within 24 hours.

In reality, he has the psionic ability to perceive a "mark" on the face of someone who's going to die within 24 hours.

GURPS Wild Cards designed it as Precognition, Only to See Imminent Death, Always On.

So maybe Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (80 Active Points); Only to Perceive Imminent Death (-2), Precognition Only (-1), No Range (-1/2), Always On (-1/2), Vague and Unclear (-1/2). Total cost: 14 points.

He also affects vampiric behavior to cover the fact that he's terrified of mirrors for fear of seeing the mark on his own face.