Holy Killer Angels

Michael Hopcroft

Re: Holy Killer Angels

Getting back to the actual topic, what would be a good Package Deal to give a member of such an order? And how does the GM enforce the limitations involved?

Leslie Fish posited something similar in her seminal filk album Firestorm: Songs of the Third World War. In the world she proposed, the technolgoical level and progress of society were in such steep, rapid decline that she considered it kinder to kill the badly injured outright than have them suffer through a lingering demise. She referred to the reluctant "euthanasiasts" as "sad-eyed firemen".

There is much about Fish's worldview that is hard to admire: in her eyes vigilantes are noble and cops base, true justice rough and freedom "wild", "wooly" and uncivilized.

Getting back to the actual topic' date=' what would be a good Package Deal to give a member of such an order? And how does the GM enforce the limitations involved?[/quote']

Depends on how such people are viewed. If they are the legitimate enforcers of a socially accepted cult, then they might be regarded with some distaste, but it is recognised they do a necessary job: kinda like corporate attorneys. If they are less favourably viewed, they might be shunned or even ostracised.

Either way, a social limitation sounds in order. How severe it is depends on how they are viewed. For the group, I mentioned, it is: Social limitation : member of the church militant (frequently, major). People tend to regard identified members of the cult as wild-eyed fanatics. In areas where heresy is common, it is assumed they are looking for victims and might be targetted "in self defence"

Another option is reputation: again what it is depends on how people see the group. It is even possible that they might be seen as heroes, giving them a positive rep.

Finally, depending on who their enemies are or how they are organised, they might get a hunted. That cold be "watched" if the cult calls them up now and then with a name and address for rub-outs or a more violent hunted if enemies of the cult try to take them out.

As for package deals, if their work involves fighting, then standard warrior skills and talents. If it involves assassination, stealth and infitration skills and if divine magic is available, they would probably have that.

cheers, Mark

The Vatican's Section XIII is my game is alot like this. Though not all are so nice about it.

What I created for the basic memebers was

KS: Catholicism

KS: Heretics

Language Skill: Latin

PS: Priest (there are only a few lay brothers or sisters. Most are nuns, priests or monks)

Mental Defense: 5pts. (for dealing with vampires)

WF: Small Arms (standard agents use Vatican City Arms Research (ViCAR) weapons)

+3 with chosen weapon. (typically a ViCAR .44 Mag automatic)

Disads: Social: Must follow orders. Psych: Religious Fanatic

This is just from memory, I'll look at my notes at home later. Should be easily adapted to fantasy though.

Getting back to the actual topic' date=' what would be a good Package Deal to give a member of such an order? And how does the GM enforce the limitations involved?[/quote']I think ninja packages with the pysch and social disads of a monk/priest would be a good start. Most of the clerics/priests have some sort of "must obey tenents of religion" disad, and limits on their powers like "only when serving purposes of god."

IN a lot of ways, these sound like Sith assassins, in both form and strength of belief system. I just started playing KotOR II, though, so my mind is trapped thinking in that vane. Throw in some cool tattoos/religious markings and you should be good to go...