"Hey! Look at me!"

Tornado

Re: "Hey! Look at me!"

5ER. It's an "extension" of sorts of the Visible Limitation, and is described under that Limitation.

Basically, wheras Visible takes something that normally wouldn't be visible and makes it visibly, Noisy makes something REALLY visible (audible, etc.)

For instance, if you had an electrical character who had an energy blast which was an honest-to-goodness lightning bolt, that would probably be Noisy. When one of those puppies goes off, it'll be the most noticable thing in a half-mile radius.

I'll have to check that out. Personality I don't think it's much of a Limitation, per the rules for SFX. After all, it's not an Advantage/Limitation to have the attack be unusually quiet but not in any sense invisible.

I'll have to check that out. Personality I don't think it's much of a Limitation' date=' per the rules for SFX. After all, it's not an Advantage/Limitation to have the attack be unusually quiet but not in any sense invisible.[/quote']

The forest is dark as you enter. Only a few streams of light from the full moon filter through the canopy above, serving only to dazzle your eyes and make the blackness all the more impenetrable. The cool earthy smells and muted nocturnal sounds do poorly to cover that something is amiss. As your normal senses dim, the feeling that has been nagging at you for the last several hours becomes suddenly sharp. You can almost feel your hair standing on end; your fingers tingle; spots of light dance when you close your eyes.

It draws you on. Somewhere out in the forest, under trees as dark as pitch, with what voices and what hidden rite of blood you can only guess, there is magic in the making. Magic that calls you, bringing tears to your eyes and pain to your heart; a silent plea for the hand of mercy. Whoever sings such magic...let them know fear.

The forest is dark as you enter. Only a few streams of light from the full moon filter through the canopy above' date=' serving only to dazzle your eyes and make the blackness all the more impenetrable. The cool earthy smells and muted nocturnal sounds do poorly to cover that something is amiss. As your normal senses dim, the feeling that has been nagging at you for the last several hours becomes suddenly sharp. You can almost feel your hair standing on end; your fingers tingle; spots of light dance when you close your eyes.[/i']

It draws you on. Somewhere out in the forest, under trees as dark as pitch, with what voices and what hidden rite of blood you can only guess, there is magic in the making. Magic that calls you, bringing tears to your eyes and pain to your heart; a silent plea for the hand of mercy. Whoever sings such magic...let them know fear.

Er... huh?

P.S: Hey look! prestidigitator has exactly 3000 posts!

I think it might be a reference to the main use of the "Noisy" limitation, in that it is used to make some applications of magic highly detectable to all mages within a good distance.

But even then, it's not exactly on topic.

EDIT: Or sensical.

Doesn't the rulebook say something about if a power has a side effect that's useful and abused often then you should pay points for it? I think this is how it should be built:

Flare Gun: (Total: 90 Active Cost, 26 Real Cost) Energy Blast 4d6 (20 Active Points); OAF (-1), 8 Charges (-1/2), Linked (Images; -1/2), Beam (-1/4) (Real Cost: 6) plus Sight Group Images 1" radius, +/-20 to PER Rolls (70 Active Points); Only To Create Light (-1), OAF (-1), 8 Charges (-1/2) (Real Cost: 20)

I figure at 4 km = 2000" that should be a -20 to PER roll for range to see the flare. You could alternately use MegaScale but then the range might be bigger than you really want.

I think Lucius has the right idea: flash is the very thing:

Sight and sound group flash (6d6) (35 points) continuing charges (1 turn sight flash only) x 8 (+0) explosion (+1/2) OAF (gun) -1 for 52 active, 26 real.

Give someone a flare gun they will want to use it as a weapon eventually, but I'd be happy for it to be used as a signal device too - it simply acts as sfx in that instance - a bright light and an (instant) sound - the continuing charges don't apply to the hearing flash. Sfx: magnesium flare, no problem with that being seena long way off. The advantages of long perception range and the disadvantages of the same thing balance.

Doesn't the rulebook say something about if a power has a side effect that's useful and abused often then you should pay points for it? I think this is how it should be built:

Flare Gun: (Total: 90 Active Cost, 26 Real Cost) Energy Blast 4d6 (20 Active Points); OAF (-1), 8 Charges (-1/2), Linked (Images; -1/2), Beam (-1/4) (Real Cost: 6) plus Sight Group Images 1" radius, +/-20 to PER Rolls (70 Active Points); Only To Create Light (-1), OAF (-1), 8 Charges (-1/2) (Real Cost: 20)

I figure at 4 km = 2000" that should be a -20 to PER roll for range to see the flare. You could alternately use MegaScale but then the range might be bigger than you really want.

This looks to me to be the best build yet. However, I agree with Boulder that it should be X clips of one charge each; you have to open up a flare gun and reload (at least, every flare gun I've heard about).

Nahh, let's load it up with Autofire. ;)

Certainly you could link Flash into my writeup which would probably make it even more realistic. Here's the thing, has anybody here ever used a flare gun? I imagine you're supposed to not look at the gun as you fire it lest you blind yourself, but real world experience would be helpful. The bright flash would make it very difficult to use as a weapon as you are invariably going to be looking in it's direction as you fire, unless you take a huge penalty for firing blind.

If that's NOT the case then perhaps Flash isn't appropriate and firing it should incur no penalties to OCV.

Nahh, let's load it up with Autofire. ;)

Certainly you could link Flash into my writeup which would probably make it even more realistic. Here's the thing, has anybody here ever used a flare gun? I imagine you're supposed to not look at the gun as you fire it lest you blind yourself, but real world experience would be helpful. The bright flash would make it very difficult to use as a weapon as you are invariably going to be looking in it's direction as you fire, unless you take a huge penalty for firing blind.

If that's NOT the case then perhaps Flash isn't appropriate and firing it should incur no penalties to OCV.

THe only flares I ever used did not start "flaring" right away...I always assumed it had a time fuse of 1-2 seconds for safety...but those were military flares...maybe civilians are differant (though I dought it...)

Oh and the goofy build I posted a ways back did have several clips of 1x each...in theory you can build a flare gun to also fire 12 guage shell...but this is illegal since the 30's or earlier, but Vigilantes scoff at such things don't they?

THe only flares I ever used did not start "flaring" right away...I always assumed it had a time fuse of 1-2 seconds for safety...but those were military flares...maybe civilians are differant (though I dought it...)

Oh and the goofy build I posted a ways back did have several clips of 1x each...in theory you can build a flare gun to also fire 12 guage shell...but this is illegal since the 30's or earlier, but Vigilantes scoff at such things don't they?

Alright in this case, does it make sense for the flare gun to be used as a weapon? If it doesn't flare up until a second later then that's probably after it's already hit the target. Does it come out so fast that it would physically hurt without any burning going on?

Then again, you could complicate things further. Targets far away might get flared so perhaps you need some sort of "minimum range" limitation on it. ;)