Providing Character Resonance and Moments that matter

atlascott

Great GM'ing is about providing daunting, but not impossible, challenges.

But the really great GM's provide a resonance in their games--moments that really matter, moments that really get the PC's excited, engaged, pulling for the result that are chasing.

I think making players detail their characters, and providing feedback as to how they are running their characters early on in a campaign, based on what background they have provided, is a good first step.

I also routinely use the "Aliens" formula. Get the players into trouble. Then get them into more trouble. When they think they have a handle on the situation, all hell breaks loose with even more trouble. Then let them think, fight, claw scratch and roleplay their way out of it. If the trouble is not contrived-seeming or totally illogical, and if the subject matter is compelling, you have a group of players really busting thei hump, their fate resting on every toss of the dice, and every decision.

THAT is the stuff of great gaming--PASSION, EXCITEMENT, ENGAGEMENT IN THE STORY.

SO, how do YOU make these things happen in your game, and for playe4rs, what are the things that made YOU love that last, great, phenomenal scenario or campaign?

Re: Providing Character Resonance and Moments that matter

I have been slow off the starting thine using the PC's Diadvantages, but am slowly getting beyond their DNPC (My Favourites). I think I might just pull a Diadvantage from every PC for today's Episode and intergrate it into my Plot.

I like how you put it and it has made me think about modifying my GMing style which sometimes relies too heavily on the Plot and not enough on the PC's.

Me bad

QM

I start when evaluating a potential player character. First thing I look at is Disads and ask the player if they really want to role-play what they've picked and how they intend on it affecting their character. This alone gives me a springboard to making the game exciting for the players. One of the things I highly request, but not flat our require, is a Psychological Limitation that defines the character's motivation. I prefer it to be something personal rather than just some nebulous sense of honor or rightousness. Perhaps the character has a hatred of a certain criminal type (because of being victimized in the past), perhaps the character is trying to make up for a mistake he made, perhaps he just seeks the glory and fame of being a national hero...

Among all the revolutionary modelling techniques built into the Hero rules, the one I .ike the best (if you forced me to choose) would be Disadvantages. My wife often asks why we need to spend points on things, and why do characters need disads? The answer to the second question can only be fully appreciated by playing, and more specifically, GMing. If you have a good handle on a character you make, the disads are easy to write.

And if your player has a good handle on his PC, and can give you those disads to use, then the best way to pull them into the game is to use those disads. I don't need to tell you how.

Among all the revolutionary modelling techniques built into the Hero rules, the one I .ike the best (if you forced me to choose) would be Disadvantages. My wife often asks why we need to spend points on things, and why do characters need disads? The answer to the second question can only be fully appreciated by playing, and more specifically, GMing. If you have a good handle on a character you make, the disads are easy to write.

And if your player has a good handle on his PC, and can give you those disads to use, then the best way to pull them into the game is to use those disads. I don't need to tell you how.

Hear hear!

Disadvantages are something I rarely use (as a GM) as writ: I can't recall the last time I actually diced to see if an enemy turned up, but they give such excellent opportunities to KNOW what buttons the character has available for pushing without a months worth of development observation. moreover, if you throw a nasty disadvantage related problem at athe PC the player seems to mind less: you are not picking on them, you are just reading their character sheet properly.

Some games I run are very character oriented, some very plot oriented. One thing I do TRY to do (with variable success) is character spotlighting, but it is not always possible. Also you can never quite be sure how players are going to react to a particular situation. If they don't do what you expect, you have to either drag them back on-side or run with the ball. I usually go for the second option (I've had more scenarios derailed that way......) so long as it is not always one player making the breaks.

For my contribution, in order to build up the atmosphere of the campaign I'm running, I always start off with a TV style opening credits, with a montage of different action shots of each character, highlighting their best moments from previous games.

I found that it jogs their memories of the adrenaline highs that they experienced then, and puts them in the appropriate frame of mind.

When the game starts, I make sure that their characters get an opportunity to flex their strengths, feel their weaknesses, and converse with their NPCs. They get to do normal things as their civilian identities that may or may not be interrrupted by the villains.

In addition, their superhero identities are recognized by the media, and they are the topic of conversation in the local pizza place while the team is eating. Little touches like children playing make-believe pretending to be the heroes that they play go a long way to making Players feel that they're influencing the world. In addition, the little NPCs around that they talk to form bonds with the characters, giving the idea of protecting those NPCs have a more significant impact.

When up against their enemies, I make sure that their enemies exhibit a healthy respect for the characters. Tactical play matched with good dialogue and a dynamic environment (inside a powerplant, on top of a skyscraper, on top of the Goodyear Blimp during a ball game) keeps combat from being stale.

And of course, end the session with a cliffhanger. Build them up to a point where the players are uncertain if they will somehow make it out without some form of loss. Once they're there, leave them hanging. They'll pester you over instant messaging, and email, but it'll be worth it. :)

Agreed with Pointyman, lots of good stuff there, repped.

You have to make the PCs feel that they matter, that their actions have impact.

Sometimes I start the game with some sort of 'theme music' and a moment to meditate a little on the music and mood. Perhaps take the lighting down a bit, to better allow the gamers to transform from players to characters. Of course then there's always the 'ok Player A, take us through what happened last episode in your own words.' I attempt to keep everyone 'in character' as much of the time as possible and make sure to involve every player in the game at hand with sub plots that are meaningful to said character.