A Thread for Random Videos

Super Squirrel

Re: A Thread for Random Videos

Michael' date=' ease up. It's in reference to the Dumbo reference, and my flying elephant video.[/quote']

I know there is nothing on the part of the poster. I'm referring to the clip itself. (NO, not the elephant on the runway one). About eight years later Disney would make the now-largely-suppressed Song of the South -- which retold many of the Uncle Remus stories while whitewashing the situation of Uncle Remus himself (who was given little reason in the film to object to his status as property).

I know there is nothing on the part of the poster. I'm referring to the clip itself. (NO' date=' not the elephant on the runway one). About eight years later Disney would make the now-largely-suppressed [i']Song of the South[/i] -- which retold many of the Uncle Remus stories while whitewashing the situation of Uncle Remus himself (who was given little reason in the film to object to his status as property).

He might not be a slave. The film doesn't say when it takes place, and it might be post Civil War.

He might not be a slave. The film doesn't say when it takes place' date=' and it might be post Civil War.[/quote']

Nah. That fantasy world is the one rich southern folks subscribed to to forestall any guilt over having been a part of slavery. It was not uncommon to hear a Southern "Aristocrat" bemoan the poor state of racial affairs and state firmly that the "Darkies" were materially better off under slavery.

As far as the clip is concerned, I ascribe that sort of racism to ignorance rather than malice. I save my objections for the stuff that was intended to be malicious, and even then I try to consider the historical context. Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn were considered objectionable (as stories for non-adults) at the time they were published because the boys in the story liked the character "Ni--er Jim" and treated him almost as good as white folks. More than a hundred years later people are still trying to ban those books from school libraries because they have the N-word in them. How old do kids have to be before we can tell them the world was different in the past? It seems some would prefer we excise our history rather than examine it and learn from our mistakes.

I have no idea how to compel Congress to say no to a further extension, but I really want them to do so.

It's easy. Just control a multi-billion dollar industry with a financial interest in shorter copyright times.

Seriously though, I believe copyright is a good thing. I think we are culturally better off for it. I just don't think 120 years (or life+70) is the right length. I'm not sure 28 is either. Maybe 50? Long as a normal career? It would seem fair to me.

I know there is nothing on the part of the poster. I'm referring to the clip itself. (NO' date=' not the elephant on the runway one).[/quote']

For the record, I'm well aware of the racism inherent to the clip. After all, the leader of the crows is voiced by a white man, playing up stereotypes of black culture as a character named Jim Crow!

I thought it might not be wise to post it, but I ultimately couldn't resist the setup. I'll admit, I'm fond of the song and the overall story of Dumbo, even though I'm ashamed of the trappings of the era in which it was produced.

About eight years later Disney would make the now-largely-suppressed Song of the South -- which retold many of the Uncle Remus stories while whitewashing the situation of Uncle Remus himself (who was given little reason in the film to object to his status as property).

Heh, loved that one too as a kid. I think I still own this:

http://www.amazon.com/Rabbit-Disney-Presents-Read-Along-Record/dp/B000EAPYZC

I thought Uncle Remus was a fascinating storyteller. I can still sing Zip A Dee Doo Da by heart to this day. I think I was a teenager before I knew of the controversy surrounding the film :(

By contrast, Peter Pan pissed me off from about the age of 11 or so. Still watch that one though.

Just gotta explain to the kids the context and why it's wrong.