Character: Conan the Cimmerian

Susano

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Character: Conan the Cimmerian

Masterwork editions of Lankhmar? Where? I haven't heard of them before (though I read all the old Ace versions of the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories).

This:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1857983270/002-0991398-7816009?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

and this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0575073586/002-0991398-7816009?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

Excellent writeup! Two comments:

1. Where is the rPD coming from, did I miss it?

2. No combat levels? Conan seems like exactly the kind of character who would be stacked with 8- and 10-point levels.

1. Combat Luck accounts for 3/3 but it has him listed as 6/6?? I suspect that it got changed somewhere from 2 levels of Combat Luck to a single level.

2. You missed them... they are in there. The coded character sheets, like this one, are very hard to pick through since you have to keep scrolling up to down and left to right. Personally, I find posting strait text preferable. IIRC he has 4 all combat levels and several levels with sweep. There is also some DCV linked to Danger Sense..... My puzzler has been puzzling that construction for a little bit.

I have a few questions of my own...

1. Never Know Fatigue.... Isn't Heroic END cost 1 per 5? That means Conan should spend 3 END per attack phase (Opposed to the 1 END listed).

2. I dislike the DR without any qualifications. He already has 20 BODY + 3 Combat Luck. Fantasy Weapons under this construction can never hurt Conan. 2d6+1 is the max damage (add 2 DC for STR, 2 (4) DC for MA, and 1 (2) DC for independant MA DC's you come up with 4d6 as an utter maximum damage). Realisticly, that means that on a wicked roll (15-20 BODY) Conan will take 20... minus chain mail (6), minus Combat Luck (3), and minus Damage Reduction (3) = 8 total Body delivered. That is not enough to impair or break anything on our big buddy. My own druthers would be to add.... Only when aware of the attack (-1/4) to the damage reduction. He has Danger Sense and wicked perception rolls so it is highly unlikely that he would fail the roll but at least the possibility of impairing him exists on paper. Mind you, only by a character who was more gifted than himself in STR and in Martial Arts. So, a rare bird indeed.

3. Why not just give him 9 inches running and be done with it? The running, only for half moves seems grossly cheese to me. I know that it is in DC but it still sits uneasily. At 7" he can easily be out run which seems to be at odds with his image? At 9" only the very fastest are going to out pace him.

4. While Resistance is rarely used - if I was going to give it to Conan it would be above the base value. Maybe +5. This would single out that he is more than just the run of the mill tough-nut.... he is a tough-nuts tough-nut. While we are there.... I concur about Mental Def but I would buy 10 with the Lim: Not versus Ego Blast (-1/2). This still leave him vulnerable to the mind melting spells but makes him nigh impossible to control.

5. I mentioned it earlier but could you explain the DCV linked to Danger Sense? The way I read the rules... If he makes his Danger Sense Roll 8-14 then he launches into an immediate defensive action (The only real option is to Dodge or Dive for Cover). 99% of the time, this is a Dodge. So, in the "surprise" round his DCV increases from its base DCV of 8 up to DCV 21... but the next round even if he maintains a Dodge his DCV goes down to a 19??

Is that how you see it working?

6. I dozens of images of Conan in mounted combat from movies, covers, and comics? Did you leave Riding off on purpose?

All that makes it sound nit-picky but this is a really good Conan write-up. Overall these are very minor points.

I have a few questions of my own...

1. Never Know Fatigue.... Isn't Heroic END cost 1 per 5? That means Conan should spend 3 END per attack phase (Opposed to the 1 END listed).

I tend to default everything to superheroic level, but yes, this should be switched to reflect the 1 END/5 STR, meaning he should spend 2 END a Phase, not 1.

2. I dislike the DR without any qualifications. He already has 20 BODY + 3 Combat Luck. Fantasy Weapons under this construction can never hurt Conan. 2d6+1 is the max damage (add 2 DC for STR, 2 (4) DC for MA, and 1 (2) DC for independant MA DC's you come up with 4d6 as an utter maximum damage). Realisticly, that means that on a wicked roll (15-20 BODY) Conan will take 20... minus chain mail (6), minus Combat Luck (3), and minus Damage Reduction (3) = 8 total Body delivered. That is not enough to impair or break anything on our big buddy. My own druthers would be to add.... Only when aware of the attack (-1/4) to the damage reduction. He has Danger Sense and wicked perception rolls so it is highly unlikely that he would fail the roll but at least the possibility of impairing him exists on paper. Mind you, only by a character who was more gifted than himself in STR and in Martial Arts. So, a rare bird indeed.

Thanks for mentioning that. What I need to do is add "STUN Only" and "Only When Aware Of The Attack" to his DR.

3. Why not just give him 9 inches running and be done with it? The running, only for half moves seems grossly cheese to me. I know that it is in DC but it still sits uneasily. At 7" he can easily be out run which seems to be at odds with his image? At 9" only the very fastest are going to out pace him.

He didn't seem that fast a runner, honestly. I mean, he's fast enough, and can run forever, but he's not a 100-yard dash winner. My previous version gave him 9" of Running, but when coupled with a 4 SPD I think that made him too fast in a straight run. And I initially created the Running "Only For Half-Moves" as it allows Conan to be 7" away, charge in, and do any number of 1/2 Phase actions. Maybe 8" instead?

4. While Resistance is rarely used - if I was going to give it to Conan it would be above the base value. Maybe +5. This would single out that he is more than just the run of the mill tough-nut.... he is a tough-nuts tough-nut. While we are there.... I concur about Mental Def but I would buy 10 with the Lim: Not versus Ego Blast (-1/2). This still leave him vulnerable to the mind melting spells but makes him nigh impossible to control.

Sounds good.

5. I mentioned it earlier but could you explain the DCV linked to Danger Sense? The way I read the rules... If he makes his Danger Sense Roll 8-14 then he launches into an immediate defensive action (The only real option is to Dodge or Dive for Cover). 99% of the time, this is a Dodge. So, in the "surprise" round his DCV increases from its base DCV of 8 up to DCV 21... but the next round even if he maintains a Dodge his DCV goes down to a 19??

Yeah, I should drop that. I tend to forget how everything can stack. The idea (seen in a few stories) was his first reaction would be to spring to on side -- but Dodge and +4 with Combat covers that fairly well.

6. I dozens of images of Conan in mounted combat from movies, covers, and comics? Did you leave Riding off on purpose?

All that makes it sound nit-picky but this is a really good Conan write-up. Overall these are very minor points.

Here:

5 "A Direct Actionist": Rapid Attack (HTH)

3 Riding 14-

7 "Sandaled Feet Made No Sound": Stealth 16-

I realize that stuff like that is easy to miss... the version on my website will be clearer.

On the +7" for half moves issue:

Personally, I like it. It's effectively the same as taking the Full Move element for every maneuver, without adding damage or making the character into a speedster. Conan is not a track star, he's a big guy who can close fast.

I actually missed an optional power' date=' which is [i']Stealth Personified[/i], defined as Invisibility to Normal Hearing. I haven't fully decided on the limitations for such an ability, though.

I would just go with a high stealth roll, but I'm notoriously low-tech.

I would just go with a high stealth roll' date=' but I'm notoriously low-tech.[/quote']

I did, this has been added as an optional power.

I have rebuilt Conan a bit, adding in the suggested changes and editing the text. He will now go on my website -- I'll post the link once it's up.

I did, this has been added as an optional power.

I have rebuilt Conan a bit, adding in the suggested changes and editing the text. He will now go on my website -- I'll post the link once it's up.

While I tend to run what most people would call gritty low-fantasy (most characters have a hard NCM with one stat excepted that they can pay double to go over in), I really like your write-up as a "cinematic" version of Conan. And since I like Conan (both howard's and much of the later pastiche work) I'll be copying your write-up. Do you ever put them in PDF format?

Here:

5 "A Direct Actionist": Rapid Attack (HTH)

3 Riding 14-

7 "Sandaled Feet Made No Sound": Stealth 16-

I realize that stuff like that is easy to miss... the version on my website will be clearer.

Whoops... I guess I just overlooked it. :help:

This bad boy is getting tucked away onto the hard drive.

While I tend to run what most people would call gritty low-fantasy (most characters have a hard NCM with one stat excepted that they can pay double to go over in)' date=' I really like your write-up as a "cinematic" version of Conan. And since I like Conan (both howard's and much of the later pastiche work) I'll be copying your write-up. Do you ever put them in PDF format?[/quote']

Well, Howard's Conan is pretty cinematic. As for PDFs... I could save mine and send it to you.

That sword was broken in battle.

But he uses it, while broken, to kill a demon.

By the way, I'll be doing some write-ups on Conan related stuff. I had no intention of doing characters or the strange races but I'll send them your way so that you can put them up on your webpage. I've fallen behind though on my Conan reading so I don't foresee me doing much any time soon.

The write-ups are definitely very nice though as I plan on borrowing elements from Conan for my VA game. This saves me some time for game design. Keep it up. :)

But he uses it, while broken, to kill a demon.

By the way, I'll be doing some write-ups on Conan related stuff. I had no intention of doing characters or the strange races but I'll send them your way so that you can put them up on your webpage. I've fallen behind though on my Conan reading so I don't foresee me doing much any time soon.

The write-ups are definitely very nice though as I plan on borrowing elements from Conan for my VA game. This saves me some time for game design. Keep it up. :)

True. But it seemed rather one-shot, and I wanted to present a pre-King Conan anyway.

And I'd love more Conan material to place on the website! Thank you.

Err... from where? The movie?

Yeah. I know she got her head cut off in the first five minutes of the movie, but come on, she's still got to be a Howard-esque class heroine, it was Thulsa Doom! Conan didn't just get those superior bararian genes any old place, you know!

Yeah. I know she got her head cut off in the first five minutes of the movie' date=' but come on, she's still got to be a Howard-esque class heroine, it was Thulsa Doom! Conan didn't just get those superior bararian genes any old place, you know![/quote']

Funny thing... Thulsa Doom is a King Kull villain... Conan's was Thoth-Amon (who only appeared briefly, to be honest). As for Conan's parents, other than his father being a blacksmith, nothing is ever said about them. Heck, Conan never meets another Cimmerian in any of the stories!

Funny thing... Thulsa Doom is a King Kull villain... Conan's was Thoth-Amon (who only appeared briefly' date=' to be honest). As for Conan's parents, other than his father being a blacksmith, nothing is ever said about them. Heck, Conan never meets another Cimmerian in any of the stories![/quote']

See, that's to your advantage, no one can nit-pick your write-up!