System Generation

Seenar

Re: System Generation

Well there is the Sector Generator in the Free Stuff section. Its the last file on the page the link is to. It says that it generates each system using the Star Hero rules. I have never used it though since I am not running or playing in a Star Hero game.

I've used it, and it works pretty well. (ie - far better than anything I could cobble together myself.) The major limitation is that there's no feature for changing the assumptions used. But it sure beats hand-jamming them. If you copy the output file into an Excel spreadsheet, you can even use it to create simple (2D) starmaps.

bigdamnhero

“You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!â€

You might have to ask ProFantasy, but their Cosmographer allows for mapping systems, I am not sure if it actually builds systems though. Looks similar to Traveller's system and subsector maps.

Also there is a system generator by NBos.

http://www.nbos.com/products/astro/astro.htm

Wow this looks impressive

Visually impressive' date=' but the controls are clumsy. It's Full of Stars is a much easier to use program, and has much of the same functionality.[/quote']

Link please?

bigdamnhero

“It is sobering to consider that when Mozart was my age he had already been dead for a year.â€

Would a galaxy wiki be a good idea? People just adding system information whenever they want to enlarge the galaxy?

You're thinking of a fictional galaxy, independant of the published TE/AW settings? That sounds interesting and might be doable. But if we wanted to have any sort of consistency we'd have to first have a long conversation to agree on ground rules (how "hard" is our science, how common is alien life, etc). Probably several conversations...

bigdamnhero

“My life, when it is written, will read better than it lived.â€

You're thinking of a fictional galaxy, independant of the published TE/AW settings? That sounds interesting and might be doable. But if we wanted to have any sort of consistency we'd have to first have a long conversation to agree on ground rules (how "hard" is our science, how common is alien life, etc). Probably several conversations...

Well, what you could have is catagories of systems. Each system would have ratings, like Science, and that would fit it into a given setting. Note that some systems could end up in more than one setting. (A high space opera would do fine with hard science systems in it).

Count me in on this project.

I'm thinking a mix.

You could classify systems as Hard/Rubber science and Terran Empire/Other it would be up to the person browsing the site whether they used a particular system or not in their game.

There would also be a rating for "canon" possibly - for mentions of planets/systems that should be looked up in the published material.

A system could even come in a variety of flavours - a Hard, a Rubber, and a Semi-Magical possibly, depending on how interested contributers are in developing that system.

If people want, they can start creating one here- http://www.curufea.com/hero/doku.php?id=galactica:start

Any thoughts on a template? What standard information should be included in a listing?

Further on this, I'm writing up our solar system and the Earth as a starting point for discussion of layout.

one thing I always liked about Traveller was the Universal World Profile system

so each world was classified the same way for basic ratings

Each world was rated as follows

Starport

World Size

Atmosphere

Hydrographics

Population

Government

Law Level

Tech Level

there are also trade classifications and then a 4 digit extension for economic factors that was added in T4

wouldnt be a problem to write it up. should we run this past Marc Miller first, although since we did include the codes in Traveller Hero already, would this fall in the same category, I can run it past Marc via e-mail easy enough

another idea if we want to avoid conflicts, we could point folks to this for more information

The Interactive Atlas of the Imperium, which is a great site

http://www.utzig.com/traveller/iai.shtml

It might be best to just link to the conversion notes for Traveller Hero and the IAI for the folk that want systems from that kind of scifi genre universe.

We should put in a warning that if writers want to include systems and planets for Star Hero that would fit Traveller - there already exists a resource better than the Wiki.

• 2 weeks later...