A Dummy's Guide to the Turakian Age

DrFaust

So I'm reading The Turakian Age, and rather enjoying it, so far. Hero Games' love of detail has come through once again. However, there's one area where the sheer amount of information hurts: the gazeteer section.

To me, there are so many different nations, city-states and various socio-political regional groupings that I can't process them all. I figure there's a reason for all of them to exist. It's a fictional world, after all. If something didn't serve a purpose, it just wouldn't be there, as a general rule of thumb.

Now, I'm getting the sense there are so many different places and countries to accomodate all the varieties of high fantasy. Like, if you want epic wizards and godlings, go over here. Noble barbarians on the plains, off yonder.

Without knowing exactly what kind of fantasy I want, and just asking where to find that in Ambrethel, can anyone offer tips how to sort through everything without reading every single entry in the gazeteer?

Re: A Dummy's Guide to the Turakian Age

You could always start the campaign in the free city of Aarn and spread out after you feel more comfortable with and/or have more time to study the rest of the world.

A lot of detail has not been given to Aarn so you can toss in whatever you like from other, more detailed suppliments from The Game That Will Not Be Named. Raven's Bluff and Sharn spring to mind just to name two.

Well, our board colleague Labrat made a start at organizing this information in an "almanac"- like format, and Attaching the material to a post on a previous thread. He's just covered the Westerlands so far. It's supposedly an .xls file, but for some reason my computer won't read it, so I can't give you any more details. :( Anyway, here's where you'll find it: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32098

Steve Long also summarized a few elements of Ambrethel on this thread: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16959

This may or may not help you, but ace Hero cartographer Keith Curtis provided downloadable maps of Ambrethel in different formats on the "Free Stuff" section of the website: http://herogames.com/FreeStuff/wallpapers.htm

Well, our board colleague Labrat made a start at organizing this information in an "almanac"- like format, and Attaching the material to a post on a previous thread. He's just covered the Westerlands so far. It's supposedly an .xls file, but for some reason my computer won't read it, so I can't give you any more details. :( Anyway, here's where you'll find it: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32098

Steve Long also summarized a few elements of Ambrethel on this thread: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16959

This may or may not help you, but ace Hero cartographer Keith Curtis provided downloadable maps of Ambrethel in different formats on the "Free Stuff" section of the website: http://herogames.com/FreeStuff/wallpapers.htm

I haven't forgotten the project... I just got stuck reading the Valdorian Age. Plus my current game is still stuck in the Westerlands so I haven't had any reason to move on to Mhorecia yet. That's 2006 Project 2006-e, but it will get done! 2006 Project 2006-c will be my free offering of The Hidden Temple of the Ran-Tari 'module' in which I spin some Thun lore into though! Watch out for that! It's almost done...

I've got to figure out how to upload xls documents. Any advice? Mr. Simon?

Here's a TXT delimited copy. Open with Excel... but the formatting is lost. There's several other pages that I've done just let me know if there is any interest and I'll post them.

Just wanted to say I finished reading The Turakian Age just now, and I'm sticking with my initial opinion that it really is quite spiffy.

The gears of my mental mill are slipping on all the grain, unfortunately, but maybe I'll come up with something, eventually.

If you don't mind scribbling in your book, you could pencil in notes next to each gazeteer heading: "Arthurian Knights", or "Persian". Doing so as you read could help you learn as you go (some people acqire knowledge better by writing than reading) and could serve as a quick reference when you need to look back.

Keith "Ace Cartographer. That's cool" Curtis

• 1 year later...

Please forgive me if this question has been asked before and I have just not found it. But are there any plans to make some of the more detailed maps in the TA book available in a larger color version like the one the esteemed Mr. Curtis did for the over all world? I would pay for these gladly.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of detail has not been given to Aarn so you can toss in whatever you like from other' date=' more detailed suppliments from The Game That Will Not Be Named. Raven's Bluff and Sharn spring to mind just to name two.[/quote']

You woundn't happen to mean Dungeons & Dragons 3.5? :eg:

Throw the file into a zip file and upload the zip file.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

That didn't seem to work when I uploaded it. It uploaded fine but then there were trouples re-opening it (hit or miss based on who you ask). I had a separate thread for the update of the Almanac. It's got some more stuff on it but is far from complete.

IM me with your email addy if you want me to send you a copy (free and safe).

Please forgive me if this question has been asked before and I have just not found it. But are there any plans to make some of the more detailed maps in the TA book available in a larger color version like the one the esteemed Mr. Curtis did for the over all world? I would pay for these gladly.

...oh and I second this request! :D

Ron "begging the talented Mr. Curtis" Miller