Old Testament Hero

nexus

Re: Old Testament Hero

And now you can play Samson' date=' David, and Moses exploring [i']The Keep on the Borderlands[/i].

I know you're kidding, but in the King James Bible, it mentions how Mary and Joseph were visited by three wise men.

The first wise man had a gift of gold.

The second, a gift of frankincense

The third wise man, a gift of 1-10 Electrum Pieces, Treasure Type M (x2) and a 30 % chance of a potion.

Contrary to popular belief, the Bible was rife with D&D references.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all seriousness, I wouldn't be too much interested in playing prominent figures like Samson and David and Moses. They might make great NPCs or Patrons for the players, but using them directly feels a little wrong to me.

A OT Hero game featuring these persons would be a one shot for 350 point characters at best. It might make an interesting Con game, for example. But after you've led your people to freedom, then what what do you do? Hang out on your date farm for 600 years? Oi.

Sounds good to me.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary points out that it sounds good to Lucius to live it; he wouldn't really want to play it.

I know you're kidding, but in the King James Bible, it mentions how Mary and Joseph were visited by three wise men.

The first wise man had a gift of gold.

The second, a gift of frankincense

The third wise man, a gift of 1-10 Electrum Pieces, Treasure Type M (x2) and a 30 % chance of a potion.

Contrary to popular belief, the Bible was rife with D&D references.

Ha! Repped.

Although that's New Testament of course :)

Guest daeudi_454

Oh yes... back in the Good Old Days..... when pagans were smited, blasphemers were stoned, and others were burned.

That's assuming the Lord didn't wipe out your whole city.

Of course, on the plus side- you had no doubt that He was paying attention.

The one bit of advice I should have added to Testament was for GMs to use a respect jar. It's a swear jar, but punishes overdone religious jokes instead of bad language. Anytime someone makes an inappropriate religious joke or does a bad Mel Brooks impression for their Levite priiest, they have to shove a buck into the jar.

I've never tried it, but I suppose it'd be interesting just to see which classic gamer impulse is stronger, their irreverence, or their cheapness.

And Samson, David, and Moses would never do Keep in the Borderlands together, unless the GM had a lax, Xena-like inattention to the timeline. :-)

Or perhaps a collection plate.

Unfortunately, if one's goal is to persuade one's players to turn off their flippancy switch, that name would probably be counter-productive. :-)

It might also be an option in other genres where parody creeps in to destroy a game's tone -- Monty Python jokes in a Pendragon game springs to mind.

It's an ugly brute force method of enforcing a genre, however occasionally a GM does need to get heavy-handed (or propose heavy-handed measures so the players will understand that the tone is important to the campaign).

It's an ugly brute force method of enforcing a genre, however occasionally a GM does need to get heavy-handed (or propose heavy-handed measures so the players will understand that the tone is important to the campaign).

I'd imagine that anyone playing in an Old Testament Hero game, is doing so because they're into (and respectful of) the source material and are on the same page as the GM.

Unless it's more like a Pulp game. I could well run a comedy game set in the Old Testament without too much trouble. Much like I could do a comedy of D&D or superheroes or any other genre.

Or for that matter, horror. Horror could work for this setting too - just have characters belonging to a different nation.

Setting does not preclude genre or style. It's more determined by the GM than the players - as long as you make sure you communicate with your players and let them know what you want from the game, and what the characters are that you will allow.

Most problems arise from lack of communication and misunderstandings.

Guest daeudi_454

I could see a form of Pulp or almost even Horror.....

especially if you go back to antedeluvian times, or during the days in Egypt.

Comedy by its very nature requires irreverence, and so would only be fitting if all players were irreverent or worse towards the subject.

Ah, that depends on the type of comedy.

I refer you to Grass Roots, Keeping Mum and other black comedies I can't currently recall.

It is quite possible to have a comedy that doesn't involve parody or satire.

Even situational comedies can be done that way, as the subject matter isn't the setting. The setting is just the setting in which the comedy happens.

Again, it's dependant on the GM, communication and the maturity of the players.

I'd imagine that anyone playing in an Old Testament Hero game' date=' is doing so because they're into (and respectful of) the source material and are on the same page as the GM.[/quote']

One would hope so, however in the real world, people join a game for a lot of reasons (very often they're going along with the pack) that doesn't stop them from cracking jokes at inopportune moments. In my experience, it's one of the things gamers do best, and they get irked when you try to curb the behavior in-game. (And yes, I'm as guilty of this - or more - than any of my players).

And while I'm being facetious with my suggestion, some sort of strong statement to curb one's irreverent impulses at the outset and give the campaign a chance to foster a tone that's in the spirit of the source material is probably a good thing. There must. of course, be an agreement between the players and the GM at the start, but even agreements made after a thorough and well-meaning discussion (like any best laid plan) will fall apart when a gamer's funny switch gets pressed.

This brings to mind a thread a couple of months ago, dealing with a certain type of incompatable player. The general tone was "Will you quit cracking jokes? We're trying to have fun here!" Many people totally lost the irony of their stance.

At my mother's funeral, I made an off color joke. My nephew took me to task for it. I almost really lit into him. He and I were raised in the same church, with the same teachings. The building isn't God's Temple, it is the planet, no the whole universe, that is God's Temple. So if God was going to throw a lightning bolt at me for making a Bill & Monica joke, it didn't matter whether I was in a building with a steeple, or not.

Same deal here. If you think God will be PO'd that you are being irreverent, it doesn't matter whether you are rolling dice while you are at it. You don't need to buy a D20 supplement to mock or disparage ancient Judean Holy Books.

That said, I find Testament a fascinating read. Lots of stuff in there that they never discussed in Sunday School. And a lot of current archeology and ancient history worked in as well. Some of the interesting debates about what really happen'd in the area have been dropped in favor of one True Timeline, but that is *my* only problem with it.

Midas

I'd imagine that anyone playing in an Old Testament Hero game' date=' is doing so because they're into (and respectful of) the source material and are on the same page as the GM.[/quote']

Well, gamers are almost by definition highly imaginative.

Lucius Alexander

have you seen my palindromedary?

Everything I need to know about life, I learned from Noah's Ark:

• Don't miss the boat.
  • Remember that we are all in the same boat.
  • Plan ahead. It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.
  • Stay fit. When you're 600 years old, someone may ask you to do something really big.
  • Don't listen to critics; just get on with the job that needs to be done.
  • Build your future on high ground.
  • For safety's sake, travel in pairs.
  • Speed isn't always an advantage. The snails were on board with the cheetahs.
  • When you're stressed, float a while.
  • Remember, the Ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic by professionals.