17thc Sailling ship

Curufea

Re: 17thc Sailling ship

They stayed around for quite a while in the Mediterranean though. They were still good warships as long as land was in sight when the weather started roughing up. There was some battle in the 1700s between Italians and Turks that involved several galleys. Can't think of the name right now.

We used some during the Revolutionary War as well, converted from NE costal whalers, AFAIK.

The Adventure was an impressive ship, and Kidd one of my favorite misunderstood "pirates", so I had to chime in :smoke:

While this is still near the top' date=' I should show off one of my favorite Dutch tourist attractions: http://www.bataviawerf.nl/en/index.html. They have a reconstruction (that's 1:1, folks) of the East Indiaman [i']Batavia,[/i] the original ship having sunk on its way to Java in 1636.

Yeah, the original was wrecked just off the coast of Western Australia on her maiden voyage. Dutch ships commonly made the run to Java that way, and more than a few came to grief there (and indications that, in at least a couple of cases, survivors then joined local Aboriginal tribes). The whole 'Batavia' story is a wild mix of incompetence, mutiny, betrayal, murder and heroism - most Aussies know something about it.

The replica made a long stay at the Australian National Maritime Museum here in Sydney a few years back. I got the chance to go over her several times, and it was worth it.

Yeah, the original was wrecked just off the coast of Western Australia on her maiden voyage. Dutch ships commonly made the run to Java that way, and more than a few came to grief there (and indications that, in at least a couple of cases, survivors then joined local Aboriginal tribes). The whole 'Batavia' story is a wild mix of incompetence, mutiny, betrayal, murder and heroism - most Aussies know something about it.

The replica made a long stay at the Australian National Maritime Museum here in Sydney a few years back. I got the chance to go over her several times, and it was worth it.

I've toured the replica twice in its home port at Lelystad. Beautiful piece of shipbuilding. If you get the right guide, they can tell some interesting stories about the construction, too.

In Holland, the Batavia is sometimes billed as the greatest mutiny story ever told--they just kind of quietly smile about that whole Bounty thing.