The "Nice Happy" Thread

Hermit

Re: The "Nice Happy" Thread

I'm still on email lists from contracting firms around Portland. I've given up on telling them I'm in Utah and no longer doing tech work. Now I just look at the plunging rates and am glad I'm doing something else.

Congrats on status change Cancer, and for landing a job Xavier!

Spent the day at Salute the wargaming convention. First off got into a participation event where we played Germans vs Russians at Kursk. I destroyed one tank and lost one tank. Still was the highest scorer on my side.

Then was one of four Dalek factions breaking into the Tomb of the Cybermen trying to extract or kill the Cyber Controller. And I won annoying the kids just beside me although it was close as I had four casualties.

Lastly got into a collorabative game to close a portal and I was the leader (fighter). Similar to D+D as there was a cleric type, magic user, thief etc.

Yesterday also got another piece of art on Deviant Art which I will post here on Monday.

Another year, another last-minute tax return. Fed/state both done in 45min on Turbo Tax, and I owe a lot less than I expected -- Turbo Tax found me a $5k income credit on my state return I didn't know I had coming.

And, my migraine finally went away. I feel sort of human now. :bounce:

If you have a bad back, the migraines may be related. I get less headaches and less severe headaches with regular adjustments.

If you have a bad back' date=' the migraines may be related. I get less headaches and less severe headaches with regular adjustments.[/quote']

Fortunately, I've never had back problems. Sleeping on a good firm futon for the last 15 years (when I slept at all...) made sure of that. Now, lack of sleep, that might be contributing to the migraine problem. Not that I suffer from insomnia -- on the contrary, I enjoy every minute of it. :snicker:

• 2 weeks later...

So ... they're replacing the machine on my desktop. And Monday they will come talk to me asking for things to put on it that aren't in the standard install. And in a subsequent talk with my department chair, turns out we have site licenses for MatLab and Mathematica, so it's a no-cost thing for me ask for them ... so I will. Have never used either one, but I can learn to play with new toys, sure.

Hmmm... this might be good news. I think I found the problem with my computer, and I've got it booted up again. But the problem was the old wifi adapter (or its driver), so I'll have to replace it with something Windows 7 compatible that won't crash the machine all over again. Until the new wifi antenna arrives, my home PC has no internet connection. But at this point it appears I won't have to replace the whole thing.

Hmmm... this might be good news. I think I found the problem with my computer' date=' and I've got it booted up again. But the problem was the old wifi adapter (or its driver), so I'll have to replace it with something Windows 7 compatible that won't crash the machine all over again. Until the new wifi antenna arrives, my home PC has no internet connection. But at this point it appears I won't have to replace the whole thing.[/quote']

Not having to replace the whole computer sounds good.

The new high-gain Wi-Fi antenna works... so far. If my computer gets through the week without crashing I'll call it a success. Anyway' date=' after a week of camping out at the office and/or B&N to get on the internet, I'm finally online at home again! :bounce:[/quote']

Woot!