The "Nice Happy" Thread

Hermit

Re: The "Nice Happy" Thread

I'm envious. I've been to one Sounders game each of the last two years' date=' but I admit I'm cheap. So far I've been lucky, and the Rave Green has won both times I've been there.[/quote']

You realize of course that as a Portlander I am obligated to hate the Sounders. That said you are more than welcome to come down to Portland with your team and experience Jeld-Wen Field hospitality (if you can get tickets).

Yes, Jeld-Wen Field. The maker of windows and framing got the naming rights to what was originally Civic Stadium and more recently was known as PGE Park. Needless to say we are hoping that Jeld-Wen offers great views.

That's OK. The Sounders' main venue, XBox Field, is just QWest Field with the upper deck tarped off. And a good rivalry on this continent would do the sport good. Mind you, it'll never draw any attention from Big Media, but we knew that already.

Ha ha! People who like the soccer are European girlie men, who are effeminate because they are so girlie with the girlieness!

This message brought to you by the NHL, fourth biggest team sport in America. No. Really we are. Sidney Crosby!

Show up at Old Trafford on a game day and say that. I'll send flowers to the funeral.

Ha ha! People who like the soccer are European girlie men, who are effeminate because they are so girlie with the girlieness!

This message brought to you by the NHL, fourth biggest team sport in America. No. Really we are. Sidney Crosby!

Show up at Old Trafford on a game day and say that. I'll send flowers to the funeral.

Wear your skates.

• 2 weeks later...

Being allowed to sleep past 0830 on a weekday, just a supernal luxury.

Then I went to Foster Island (part of the UW Arboretum; it's a barely-above-water-level islet in Lake Washington that is part of a de facto wetlands sanctuary) with my camera for a couple hours. Spent the better part of 45 minutes shooting a great blue heron, though by my casual inspection later that day none of the pics are as remarkable as those I got shortly after I got the camera five years ago of a pair of kingfishers having a domestic dispute.

I bought a little six-dollar personal battery fan today, to take with me to the clinic; I frequently overheat badly towards the end of my sessions, and they are no longer allowed to put the fans on the floor (water hazard, even though it would be easy to keep the electrical cords off the floor, and the engine housing is on top of the pedestal ... bleah). Looks like it's going to be a lifesaver; despite having a pretty bad fluid gain today, keeping that little sucker on me staved off the worst side effects of the treatment.

I don't think I've ever been to a good Chinese buffet. We must have them in Seattle but I don't know about them. There used to be a sub-mediocre one in Renton.

Oops, this is the "Nice Happy" thread so I will say that I have been to several very good Dim Sum places around here. My favorite goes by the unlikely name of Top Gun. It's been a while, I think I need to go back.

While waiting at the airport for people, I watched others waiting for their relatives etc. Kids with hand made signs. One guy had a dog on a lead. As soon as his wife came through the arrival doors, he let go of the lead. The woman calls the dog by name and it bounds over to her all excited licking her face and jumping up. It only calmed down when she picked it up and carried it. And we are not talking small dog here.

While waiting at the airport for people' date=' I watched others waiting for their relatives etc. Kids with hand made signs. One guy had a dog on a lead. As soon as his wife came through the arrival doors, he let go of the lead. The woman calls the dog by name and it bounds over to her all excited licking her face and jumping up. It only calmed down when she picked it up and carried it. And we are not talking small dog here.[/quote']

While waiting at the airport for people, I watched others waiting for their relatives etc. Kids with hand made signs. One guy had a death tribble on a lead. As soon as his wife came through the arrival doors, he let go of the lead. The woman calls the death tribble by name and it bounds over to her all excited licking her face and jumping up. It only calmed down when she picked it up and carried it and it singed her face. And we are not talking small death tribble here.

This is what makes me happy, poking fun at death tribble.

Three bits yesterday.

Finally got the last piece of paper I needed and mailed off the 1040 form yesterday. We're getting $1100 or so back.

Got a reimbursement check. I was surprised a month ago when I was told that I could be reimbursed for the meeting back in January, and the check was in my mailbox. $378 I never thought I'd get.

Got my new appointment letter; rather than "Adjunct Professor" I am now "Lecturer". For those outside the US (or unfamiliar with academia in general), "lecturer" is almost always one step below any title that includes the word "professor" (I am aware that isn't necessarily the case elsewhere). The quirks of our particular institution means that lecturers are people you generally think will be around from one year to the next, while adjunct faculty are in effect guys you get for closed-end short-term gigs out of the slush pile. The difference doesn't mean anything in terms of job security ... I can still be dismissed without cause at any point in time. But it does mean my contract gets processed in the same batch as everyone else's, and that I get the same COLA's as everyone else. Previously, I was paid out of a different bin, my contracts were always sort of a catch-as-catch-can that happened any time between May and August, and any raises or adjustments were strictly on the basis of whatever spare change they found under seat cushions this year; and a couple of years here the real people have got COLA's while I haven't.

Three bits yesterday.

Finally got the last piece of paper I needed and mailed off the 1040 form yesterday. We're getting $1100 or so back.

Got a reimbursement check. I was surprised a month ago when I was told that I could be reimbursed for the meeting back in January, and the check was in my mailbox. $378 I never thought I'd get.

Got my new appointment letter; rather than "Adjunct Professor" I am now "Lecturer". For those outside the US (or unfamiliar with academia in general), "lecturer" is almost always one step below any title that includes the word "professor" (I am aware that isn't necessarily the case elsewhere). The quirks of our particular institution means that lecturers are people you generally think will be around from one year to the next, while adjunct faculty are in effect guys you get for closed-end short-term gigs out of the slush pile. The difference doesn't mean anything in terms of job security ... I can still be dismissed without cause at any point in time. But it does mean my contract gets processed in the same batch as everyone else's, and that I get the same COLA's as everyone else. Previously, I was paid out of a different bin, my contracts were always sort of a catch-as-catch-can that happened any time between May and August, and any raises or adjustments were strictly on the basis of whatever spare change they found under seat cushions this year; and a couple of years here the real people have got COLA's while I haven't.

What's a "COLA"?