The "Nice Happy" Thread

Hermit

• 2 weeks later...

Re: The "Nice Happy" Thread

Thanks, guys! Considering how out of practice I am, it went swimmingly! I won my first match in the team competition, but lost the other to my Nemesis -- I just can't win! Our styles are too similar, I think. But I should at least have had a hikiwake, a draw, but the referees view were hidden. He got a point for his men when I placed a kote a split second ahead of him, and there was only one ref who saw . . .

The team tournament was won by Shimbukan Skellefteå. As usual.

In the individual matches things didn't go too well at all. My first opponent I could do nothing against -- I wasn't surprised when he came in second (I think). He won that match on two points, fair and square.

My second match wwas against a new guy, and I figured I should have no problem with dispatching him and coming second in the pool. But he got an easy point on me, and I got a little riled up. I got a bit more offensive and active than usual, and suddenly I felt a thump in my left calf. It felt as though someone struck me, and I thought that was peculiar, because my opponent was in front of me and had his shinai up high. I wondered briefly if it was my sensei, who was head referee, had hit me in the legs to comment my poor zanshin.

As I briefly stopped to take stock of what happened, I found myself unable to support myself on my left leg. I crumpled like a whatchamacallit. I laid there, staring dumbly up at my sensei who looked as puzzled as I felt.

It turns out I'd torn a muscle -- musculus gastrocnemius -- and should rest a few days and take it easy a coulple of weeks. So here I sit with a useless leg, all packaged in bandage and propped up on a sofa cushion. Isn't life strange? :)

And Beth -- no, it's not your fault in the least. ^.^