The "Nice Happy" Thread

Hermit

Dipping his toe in the job market, eh?

I wish more kids would do that. If only they would apply so that we can hire them and then ignore them, and not give them any shifts for a month and then call them in for four hours on a Saturday night on an hour's notice. 

I think the problem is that the younger generation lacks the work ethic.

If only they would apply so that we can hire them and then ignore them, and not give them any shifts for a month and then call them in for four hours on a Saturday night on an hour's notice. 

I didn't know you worked at Target.

Which thread is this again?

Got the first of the Christmas presents for friends today.

Met and got photographed with Edward James Olmos, Michael Masden, Juliet Landau and Terri Farrell. Also got their autographs plus those of Guy Siner and Peter Miles (from Genesis of the Daleks), David Collings (various Dr Who stories, Sapphire and Steel, Blakes 7), Summer Glau, Michael Biehn and John Hurt.

Dipping his toe in the job market, eh?

I wish more kids would do that. If only they would apply so that we can hire them and then ignore them, and not give them any shifts for a month and then call them in for four hours on a Saturday night on an hour's notice. 

He survived his first day at the marine refrigeration outfit. (These guys make and service the machinery that holds the catch cold on fishing and processing boats.) He isn't used to eight-hour days (since he hasn't done them before) and having his first one on one of Seattle's rare 90-degree days ups the difficulty, I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

Cardamom-raisin buns from the local Danish bakery. (I know, to be genuine they ought to be currants not raisins. Hush.) A smell and taste I hadn't experienced in three or four decades, and olfactory stimuli are tied strongly into the memory system. Happier place, happier times.

• 2 weeks later...

August is a great time. Here in the 2d half of summer the local farms have their peppers, tomatillos, and tomatoes turn ripe, and they show up at the farmers' markets and vegetable stands. I get several pounds of all of those, whirl 'em in the food processor, and voila, fresh salsa as I like it in copious delicious quantities.

Yesterday was Gillian Anderson's birthday. Well it makes me happy.

Saw friends in Reading yesterday and got my first taste of D+D 5th Edition. Also played a new card game where you have to get to 1000 points exactly (forgot name), Apples to Apples (why did somone think I would find an Electric Chair or Giant Squid shocking ?) and Judge Dredd (No-one went to the hospital).