The "Nice Happy" Thread

Hermit

Re: The "Nice Happy" Thread

Last night Chelsea beat Bayern Munich to win the Champions League. After full time and extra time it was 1-1. Chelsea won 4-3 on penalties. Bayern were the favourites and were playing in their home stadium. Chelsea have had a poor season finishing 6th in the league instead of 2nd and sacked their manager earlier in the year. In order to be in the competition next season they needed to win. About thirty years ago Aston Villa did something similar. They also had a poor overall season and sacked their manager but they won the Champions League as it was then.

What is even more cheering is it is London's first win in the competition ever. And on a day that the Queen was celebrating the Jubilee.

I watched that match (it was on national TV in the United States) and was impressed by Chelsea's resolve. For the bulk of the match they played defensively, on their heels, so when Bayern scored with about ten minutes left on an odd-looking goal (it caromed off the ground in front of the net and went in at a hard-to-defend angle for Pewter Cech) it looked like they were finished. Then Didier Drogba, in possibly his last game for Chelsea, got a surprising equalizer five minutes later on a Bayern defensive lapse. Bayern had pulled the goal-scorer, Tomas Muller, out of the match for a defensive player. This would cost them -- in extra time Bayern couldn't mount solid attack and Muller was not available for the penalties.

Again in the penalties it looked early on that it would be all Bayern. But Cech made a couple of timely saves (the Bayern keeper ended up taking one of the penalty shots). Chelsea had saved Drogba for the fifth and final shot, which he buried taking him from great Chelsea player to English national legend. It was a fantastic way to go out and a script nobody would have bought had it been offered to a film producer.

This year's Champions League ended on one of the highest notes the competition has ended at in a long, long time. And for Chelsea the win, along with their FA Cup, gives them a solid base to build on and money for the transfer market to support their bid to rejoin the Premiere League elite in 2012-13. All this with an "interim" manager. Man City is officially on notice.

Weekend almost over...and what a doozy.

Friday Night; Roger Clyne at the Hawthorne Theater and almost got in a fight - but the show was AWESOME - Sabrina is now ok with me choosing music :)

Saturday: Took Sabrina to the Zoo to meet my brother, sister-in-law and niece....and biological father...it was a long day then...

she met another 20 relatives at the Petti May Birthday Bash. Survived the experience. Serious talk afterwards the ship is going slow and steady.

Today? We worked out in the morning and the hit the Avengers at 1 o'clock. Holy Crap that was AWESOME!

Weekend almost over...and what a doozy.

Friday Night; Roger Clyne at the Hawthorne Theater and almost got in a fight - but the show was AWESOME - Sabrina is now ok with me choosing music :)

Saturday: Took Sabrina to the Zoo to meet my brother, sister-in-law and niece....and biological father...it was a long day then...

she met another 20 relatives at the Petti May Birthday Bash. Survived the experience. Serious talk afterwards the ship is going slow and steady.

Today? We worked out in the morning and the hit the Avengers at 1 o'clock. Holy Crap that was AWESOME!

It's nice when you finally meet someone who doesn't mind you not wearing pants.

Got the proofs for my graduation pictures last night. Not bad, even though I forgot to smile. Just for giggles, here's a first-ever glimpse of the face behind the evil:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43215[/ATTACH]

Hey -- you look intellectual!

True but the Intellectual Dr Puma wouldn't fit on his business card. So he used the standard GOP abbreviation.

The four-year-old asked me to put new batteries in his walkie talkie, so I got them out and opened up the walkie talkie with a screwdriver. I then got distracted by something else for a minute. When I turned around, he had put the new batteries in--correctly--and while I watched he replaced the battery cover, picked up the screwdriver, and screwed the cover back on. Then he switched the walkie-talkie on, and it worked! Four years old and the kid can use a screwdriver.

On second thought, maybe I should be frightened.

Got the proofs for my graduation pictures last night. Not bad, even though I forgot to smile. Just for giggles, here's a first-ever glimpse of the face behind the evil:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43215[/ATTACH]

Elitist.

(Congrats!)

The four-year-old asked me to put new batteries in his walkie talkie, so I got them out and opened up the walkie talkie with a screwdriver. I then got distracted by something else for a minute. When I turned around, he had put the new batteries in--correctly--and while I watched he replaced the battery cover, picked up the screwdriver, and screwed the cover back on. Then he switched the walkie-talkie on, and it worked! Four years old and the kid can use a screwdriver.

Time to invest in a platypus!

No stopping him now...next soldering iron. :D