The "Nice Happy" Thread

Hermit

Re: The "Nice Happy" Thread

I forget what that kind of bird is called' date=' but I used to see them all over. Apparently their natural territory is the cranberry bogs of New England.[/quote']

I've never seen one before. And we're about as far from the cranberry bogs as you can get. If you remember the name, please let me know. I'd love to look it up.

I've seen lots and lots of bunnies lately. I snapped a couple of pictures of one that was hanging out outside my window yesterday morning. The cat kept mewing at it, like it would just come hopping over to play if she entreated it enough. Very cute.

Excellent. My spies are in position. :eg:

Yeah, I remember being really impressed when I saw that for the first time. Those were probably my favorite kind of birds to spot on my evening walks when I was younger.

They have an audio file up of the bird's song, and it brought me right back to summer evenings spent ambling around the cranberry bog. Odd, how much I miss it.

Red-wings like marshy ground wherever they find it. Out here, at least, if the highway shoulder is low-lying or usually has enough standing water in it to have cattails and reeds, there'll be red-wings there. Eight feet wide and thirty yards long is plenty of space for a bunch of them.

We're getting a stimulus check after all! Forgot to factor in the bonus $$$ for each kid. This whole stimulus package idea is completely asinine but hey, if people are getting money, I might as well be one of them. Free money!

Well, temporarily free, until we pay it back with even more taxes next year.

The co-worker I spoke to about it seemed to think it was the latter. But, as he is someone who reacts to new jobs being handed to him by digging in his heels and either not doing them, or doing them so badly no one will ask him to do it again, I'm not sure I trust his judgment in the matter.

As I'm sure her job duties must have changed, it may well be that she just kept doing her old job, and, when handed things she was unfamiliar with, she ignored them until they went away. This might even have worked for her, in the past.

But I don't know, and I haven't struck up a conversation with anyone who has the knowledge firsthand, yet.

I am going to like it here, though. The woman who works as a sort of receptionist is a Lost "fiend," as she called it, and she has Lost parties every Thursday for everyone who wants to watch with her. I'm a season behind, or she'd've invited me for the finale. She's quite friendly and easy to talk to, though.

Yeah, it's definitely a plus, having people around me working at the same pace as I am. At the other location, people could never just stop by to talk to me; they were always just between customers, or lazing about out on the sales floor. I'd see them in passing, but I couldn't really establish any rapport with anyone.

So whenever the relating-to-others part of my yearly evaluations came up, I'd always cringe. It's not like I was going to let the rest of my work suffer by wandering out every couple of hours to chat.

You probably should have. Seriously. It's a cynical thing for me to say, but my own management job actually requires that I basically just wander around for part of the day and ask people what they're up to. In fact I don't do enough of that, it's just that I'd much rather be posting here.