• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

If you let it load and then open it up in a separate window' date=' you get a pretty big map. It's 900+ k after all.[/quote']

Yes it is a big map (2586x1727) but I'm having trouble reading the very fine print on the island of Wisdom, which I why I'd one bigger.

Not sure if anyone else will find this "neat", but I did.

Last weekend, my sisters and I took our dad to the airshow at Willow Run Airport as an early 89th birthday present.

Lots of planes were there, from barnstorming biplanes to WWII fighters and bombers, to a Vietnam era F-111, to modern F-16s and F18 fighters. Here are a few pics.

The helicopter is a Sikorsky Sea Dragon, and is much larger than I expected. I didn't realize they're used for clearing mines.

They had an aerial demonstration by three WWII P-51 Mustang fighters, followed by a demonstration by an F-16 Falcon jet fighter. And then they had what they call a Heritage Flight, where two of the P-51s flew in formation with the F16. You can imagine the difference in normal flight speeds between the 1940s prop planes and the 1970s/1980s jet plane, so flying in formation like that must have taken some skill.

After that, they had an air- and ground-reenactment of a WWII battle involving troops in German, British, and American uniforms and ground vehicles with period weapons, while eight B-17 Flying Fortress bombers and a P-51 Mustang made simulated bombing and strafing runs.

Also at the air show was one of the last two flying B-24 Liberator bombers. Half of all B-24s made during WWII were built at Ford's Willow Run assembly plant, where a mile-long assembly line put an entire bomber out every 55 minutes at peak production. So this may well have been a homecoming for that plane.

My dad was a B-24 pilot in the war, flying out of Italy. So at the airshow, he enjoyed seeing one of the type of planes he flew and spent some time talking to other veterans and interested bystanders about his experience during the war.

What he didn't know at the time was that my sisters and I had pooled resources and booked him a flight on that plane later that day. He got to fly up on the flight deck, and the pilot even let him take the yoke for a little bit. (Dad told the pilot that he was going to log those 15 seconds of flight time when he got home.)

My dad is the man with the walking stick standing in front of the landing gear. Also on that flight were a B-24 gunner (the guy in the wheelchair) and his son, along with a man (not pictured) whose father was a B-24 pilot but passed away about 2 years ago. That former pilot's ashes were scattered during the flight. All in all, a very memorable flight for my father.

Not sure if anyone else will find this "neat"' date=' but I did.[/quote']

No, that is very neat. :)

They had an aerial demonstration by three WWII P-51 Mustang fighters' date=' followed by a demonstration by an F-16 Falcon jet fighter. And then they had what they call a Legacy Flight, where two of the P-51s flew in formation with the F16. You can imagine the difference in normal flight speeds between the 1940s prop planes and the 1970s/1980s jet plane, so flying in formation like that must have taken some skill.[/quote']

I think there is a good bit of overlap between the F-16's takeoff/stall speed, and the P-51's max speed. But the needs of showing off to the crowd imposes the need to fly slow, but the F-16's higher speed requirement hampers this (relative to the P-51) .

After that' date=' they had an air- and ground-reenactment of a WWII battle involving troops in German, British, and American uniforms and ground vehicles with period weapons, while eight B-17 Flying Fortress bombers and a P-51 Mustang made simulated bombing and strafing runs.[/quote']

Eight B-17's at once?! Gods, I wish I could have heard (and see) that.

My dad was a B-24 pilot in the war' date=' flying out of Italy. So at the airshow, he enjoyed seeing one of the type of planes he flew and spent some time talking to other veterans and interested bystanders about his experience during the war.[/quote']

Would you thank him for his service for me. :thumbup:

What he didn't know at the time was that my sisters and I had pooled resources and booked him a flight on that plane later that day. He got to fly up on the flight deck' date=' and the pilot even let him take the yoke for a little bit. (Dad told the pilot that he was going to log those 15 seconds of flight time when he got home.)[/quote']

Heh. :)