• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

Is this a render, or a real pic? It looks a little too clear to me to be real...

070424-F-4192W-111.jpg

I'm going to say 'not real'.

The plane is in a sharp turn, and firing a 'Maverick' anti-tank missile. No, not something you do.

Meanwhile, we've got flames shooting out of the missile, and out of the landing gear housing. Flames aren't supposed to be shooting out of the landing gear, if they are something is wrong.

Also, note the sun-shadow. The rocket flame isn't creating any shadow, bright as it looks, only the sun.

Unless... does the A-10 have a flare dispenser in the landing gear housing? Dumping a flare to spoof heat seeking missiles in a sharp turn is something you do.

I'm still saying 'not real'. Composite, or shopped, or something.

About what I figured. Cardboard box with some blinky lights attached' date=' right?[/quote']

Oh, cut the bleeding heart crap will ya? We've all got our switches, lights, and knobs to deal with. I mean, down here there are literally hundreds and thousands of blinking, beeping, and flashing lights, blinking, beeping and flashing - they're flashing and they're beeping. I can't stand it anymore! They're blinking and beeping and flashing! Why doesn't somebody pull the plug?

Oh' date=' cut the bleeding heart crap will ya? We've all got our switches, lights, and knobs to deal with. I mean, down here there are literally hundreds and thousands of blinking, beeping, and flashing lights, blinking, beeping and flashing - they're flashing and they're beeping. I can't stand it anymore! They're blinking and beeping and flashing! Why doesn't somebody pull the plug?[/quote']

*Beep* :D

Is this a render, or a real pic? It looks a little too clear to me to be real...

070424-F-4192W-111.jpg

Despite the analysis given above by another servicemember, I believe that picture isn't necessarily B.S. The flames I can clearly see are shooting from the flare dispenser visible in the underside of the aft end of the landing gear nacelle (there are more on the other nacelle, those dark rectangles), and are probably the ejector charges blasting the flares away from the plane. The shadow on the upper engine nacelle is consistent with the placement of the light source, and the shadows are visibly washed out by the flames, but not completely washed out (the sun is really, really bright compared to flare ejector charges).

I can also see what appear to be chaff dispensing devices near the wingtips (the wingtip vortex would help the chaff fibers "bloom", I.E. not stay clumped in a useless wad). I would guess that the plane shown is a Canadian Air Force plane, since it has a false cockpit painted on the underside.

I'm pretty sure the above photo wasn't "shopped".

I'm going to say 'not real'.

The plane is in a sharp turn, and firing a 'Maverick' anti-tank missile. No, not something you do.

Meanwhile, we've got flames shooting out of the missile, and out of the landing gear housing. Flames aren't supposed to be shooting out of the landing gear, if they are something is wrong.

Also, note the sun-shadow. The rocket flame isn't creating any shadow, bright as it looks, only the sun.

Unless... does the A-10 have a flare dispenser in the landing gear housing? Dumping a flare to spoof heat seeking missiles in a sharp turn is something you do.

I'm still saying 'not real'. Composite, or shopped, or something.

Real. You can do a search and find a poster of it. The A-10 is firing a flare. I don't see a sharp turn. The ailerons are flat. He's flying banked, but straight.

I wanted one of those toy submarines when I was a kid. Although I would have wanted a rocket ship even more. I actually got to see this today' date=' but I don't know if they still let people inside.[/quote']

I like how the Ship's Engineer has the ability to monitor "more important things" -- like the ship's beer supply! :cheers: