• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

Another Rorschach test

Without looking at the URL, guess what that is.

Planet Venus's southern polar atmospheric vortex. I'm trying to find the scale in these images.

If you thought of something disgusting, shame on you. :tsk:

I was thinking something organic (like an ear canal), then saw the URL and wondered if it was some sort of storm on Jupiter seen in infrared.

More pics of London taken from Millbank Tower.

You see our spy building MI5 and also a Dukw Tour about to leave the Thames closeby.

Also a shot of the City of London including the Gherkin building and what was the Nat West Tower.

The City 1 photo has Lambeth Palace in the foreground where the Archbishop of Canterbury stays when in London with the City in the background. And also some of the Thames in the foreground.

So I found this film recently and got it developed.

Lo and behold it was from my trip to Germany.

We travelled up the Rhine and passed by a place with towers which used to have a bridge.

Check out the name of the place that followed to understand why it is of interest.

being a student of WWII, I guessed it right from the first picture.

I wonder if anybody has thought of doing a mashup of Toy Story and Firefly? I could see Woody as a Browncoat' date=' as Mal.[/quote']

The artist, Lily-Fox, does a ton of great Toy Story fan art, some of which appears to be missing now. (The watermarks are new, too. She must have run afoul of the art-theft monster.) This one is my favorite. No Firefly yet, though.

All by itself?

Some detail...

The Germans attempted to destroy the bridge to prevent it's capture. The demolitions failed, partially because American troops cut the wires and partially because the explosives used were of poor quality. (not all the bombs went off, those that did were weak). The Americans proceeded to overuse the bridge for the next week (or so), treating it as undamaged. It collapsed from a mix of damage and overloading. By this time, the Americans had used the undamaged bridge supports as the base for a pontoon bridge.

The picture looks to be the Eastern (German) side towers, which weren't rigged for demolition (why would you?). They are probably battle damged, as the Germans used them as observation posts and blockhouses (So the Americans shot at them, a lot).

(i r a intertube no et awl, wone u pls elp?)

Another Rorschach test

Without looking at the URL, guess what that is.

Planet Venus's southern polar atmospheric vortex. I'm trying to find the scale in these images.

If you thought of something disgusting, shame on you. :tsk:

Seriously, those pics look like what I can remember of my colonoscopy session a year ago (they used really good drugs, so it's a wonder I can remember anything at all :joint:). I had no idea Venus looked like that from any angle or distance.

Here's some pictures I altered. Some were pretty awesome before I got to 'em: