• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

Real artists ship...dabblers create concept products.

Let me first say that I love many of the designs of the Peugeot concept cars. Some are absolutely striking in a "Hot Wheels" fantasy car sort of way. But any designer who includes a wind turbine on the back of a sportscar to recharge the batteries of said car really needs to revisit the laws of thermodynamics.

And yes, I would agree with the notion that real artists ship. The worst part about these car designs is that, while they look cool, they do not appear to have any basis in reality whatsoever.

JoeG

Looks like Thailand? Bangkok maybe?

Photographer Thomas Kalak specializes in photographing odd and unusual things. When he went to Bangkok, Thailand, he was taken by how (literally) wired the city is. Here’s his gallery of "Bangkok Wires" at Polar Inertia Journal:

Bangkok, totally wired. Cable clutter everywhere. Like electric monsters they hang over the junction. Sometimes like art-installations close to the sidewalk. Easy to reach out and touch for kids.

But this special picture is as vanishing as the shown technology at the beginning of the new millennium. It will disapear soon.

As so many things in Bangkok, wires are another symbol for this chaotic city. It seems to be unsystematic and dysfunctional. But as the traffic, always close to the collapse, it works, somehow.

In everyday Bangkok, western ideas of order and system have no place at all. What happens here is instead very much dominated by ordinary people and a philosophy of relaxed co-existence which permits seemingly irreconcilable contradictions. Everywhere, one finds a good-natured willingness to take life as it is, with all of its tensions and scurrilous variety, and enjoy it as well!

http://www.polarinertia.com/aug07/bangkok01.htm

I got hired as the system admin at a place that started like that. It's amazing what a few zip ties and a little organization can do to neaten that up.

Hey, at least I can see more than one color of wire there, and they aren't randomly mixed. Probably that's an accident, but it's a start.