• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

A little civic pride on my part. This it the new Devon corporate tower that will finish building in Oklahoma City in 2012. 925' tall' date=' 56-stories. Devon Energy (and OKC) are booming right now and have the $750 million for the building and the surroundings, they won't even need to finance it, they have the cash on hand. The current tallest building in OKC is the Chase tower at 504' and the largest in Oklahoma is the 667' BOK tower in Tulsa. This thing will dominate our skyline.[/size']

It looks like a chisel!

Hmm.... An "energy" company, chisel,....

Got to be a coincidence, right? :snicker:

This is my garden. Those sunflowers are taller than I am. The tomato plants are producing so many fruits that we can't eat them all. I've been bringing bucketfulls to work and giving them away. We've got a squash plant that's producing -- so far we've had 3 squashes, and it looks like it'll give us maybe 10 more. We've also got three big pumpkins growing -- we had one more but while we were on vacation one of our neighbors harvested it 'cause they thought it was a giant zucchini. We'll also be getting some cucumbers. Our pepper plants aren't doing so well, though. The sunflowers are shading them too well, and the squashes are starting to strangle them out.

Heckuva productive garden, especially given that this is our first year planting. Next year it'll probably be even better since we'll know what we're doing. :)

This is my garden. Those sunflowers are taller than I am. The tomato plants are producing so many fruits that we can't eat them all. I've been bringing bucketfulls to work and giving them away. We've got a squash plant that's producing -- so far we've had 3 squashes, and it looks like it'll give us maybe 10 more. We've also got three big pumpkins growing -- we had one more but while we were on vacation one of our neighbors harvested it 'cause they thought it was a giant zucchini. We'll also be getting some cucumbers. Our pepper plants aren't doing so well, though. The sunflowers are shading them too well, and the squashes are starting to strangle them out.

Heckuva productive garden, especially given that this is our first year planting. Next year it'll probably be even better since we'll know what we're doing. :)

I'd rep you but I must spread some.

Back in the early '80s my Mom and Dad decided to plant a vegetable garden in their back yard. Everything was thriving, but for some reason they never saw a ripe cherry tomato.

At this time, my parents also had a dog we had gotten from the pound. Heidi was a Dachshund-Cocker mix. The result was a dog that looked like a miniature Irish Setter.

One day Dad was weeding the garden while Mom was preparing lunch. Mom peeked out the window and discovered the reason for the absence of ripe cherry tomatoes. Dad was kneeleing down doing the weeding, and the dog was following along behind him sniffing at the tomatoes. Whenever she came to a ripe one, she picked it off the vine and ate it.

Later that day, my dad bought some chicken wire and made cages to go over the tomato bushes.

I'm jealous. The only time I've had enough room to plant a garden for the last 11+ years, it was in Arizona, where I would have had till up ground that was essentially concrete to make the bed, and then water the plants every day, probably twice a day. And this was also the place where I felt lucky to get away from work for the week with less than 60 hours...there was no time to even try to carry out this herculean task.

Bleh. Well, maybe some time in the next decade I'll be able to harvest so much I'm giving it away. Or making like my grandma and canning it.

I'm jealous. The only time I've had enough room to plant a garden for the last 11+ years' date=' it was in Arizona, where I would have had till up ground that was essentially concrete to make the bed, and then water the plants every day, probably twice a day. And this was also the place where I felt lucky to get away from work for the week with less than 60 hours...there was no time to even try to carry out this herculean task.[/quote']

Yeah, the soil here is solid clay, so I had to amend the hell out of it. Six or eight bags of peat moss, just for that little 8x8 plot. I dug down about a foot and a half, turned up all the soil. It was a lot of work -- I tore the hell out of my hand doing it. Fertilized it good, too. Luckily, I didn't have any problems with weeds -- a few popped up, I pulled 'em out. I also set up an irrigation system so I can just water it automatically. That helps a lot!