• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

licorne-atomic-blast.jpg
There’s something scarily beautiful about an atomic bomb explosion … this one is from the nuclear test "Licorne", where the French Army detonated a 914 kiloton thermonuclear device in the Mururoa Atoll on July 3, 1970. It was the fourth nuclear test and largest.

More info on Licorne can be found at the Atomic Forum:

Licorne was a test of an experimental thermonuclear device for the TN-60 warhead; the fourth thermonuclear test conducted by France. The nuclear device was suspended from a balloon, which was filled with 14,000 cubic meters of helium, 500 meters (1600 feet) feet over the Dindon testing sector. 3,700 men stationed on Mururoa were evacuated for this test.

Newly appointed Minister of Defense Michel Debré observed the test from the De Grasse along with 12 representatives from the French press. The De Grasse was positioned some 30 miles from Mururoa for the shot.

An observer described the Licorne detonation as being a “a stupendously beautiful pillar of fire piercing a perfectly symmetrical mushroom.” Six hours after the explosion, Debré and the visiting correspondents returned to the main base on Mururoa. Debré reportedly swam in the Mururoa lagoon during this time to make the reporters think the radiological effects of the nuclear tests were harmless

Hell of a way to celebrate my birth! :ugly:

A friend of mine is in Japan with the JET program; she sends me pictures back from time to time. Recently' date=' she went to the Ghibli Museum. They won't let you take pictures inside, but she did get some neat outside shots.[/quote']

I've got to work that robo-gorilla pig into a game somehow. Probably involving Foxbat.

That's one of only two or three anime movies I own and have watched.

Just about anything from Studio Ghibli is worth watching and/or owning. Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Castle of Caglisotro, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service, Porcoroso, and others.

I can't watch too many of them together' date=' but I do like those movies. It's just that they all have the same recurring preachy messages. No war and save the environment. And Nausicca was the worst offender.[/quote']

Yes, Mizayaki acknowledged Nausicca was too heavy handed, which is why Princess Mononoke has a far more 'neutral' outlook. Also, both 'Castle' films are more like adventure films, as it Porcoroso.

If you're ever in Vegas' date=' visit the Atomic Testing Museum.

I keep on meaning to go, but haven't yet. I have, however, toured the Nevada Test Site about 20 years ago. I stood on the observation point over Sedan Crater, which was a test for the "peaceful use of nuclear explosives" as part of Operation Plowshare. The idea was to dig a new, wider Panama Canal by detonating a series of nuclear devices just slightly underground. Apparently, the reason for choosing the particular location of the observation point was to expose guests to the least amount of background radiation, since the other side actually radiates a slightly higher dose (yes, we all had to wear radiation badges). Fallout from the shot was particularly bad, especially since it was designed to throw up as much debris out of the crater as possible.

http://fas.org/irp/imint/doe_nts_nf121.htm

Riding through Frenchman Flats, you see remnants of above-ground tests. There's what's left of a train trestle, train and track having been blown hundreds of yards away by the force of the blast. There's a bank vault, which survived a nearby blast with its money and bonds intact, though the building surrounding it wasn't so lucky. It was a sad, desolate place that we observed through the bus windows (we weren't allowed out; it was too contaminated).

http://www.vce.com/nts.html

JoeG