Rough Magic

Guest bblackmoor

Re: Rough Magic

That' date=' in a nutshell, is the magic system. Much better than my initial effort, which was burdened with numerous unnecessary complications.[/quote']

I like it. Both because it is simple and understandable and because it is almost idential to my core magic system :D

The only diference is that mages in my game run off their own END, but that casting spells has a side effect which causes them to lose LTE, so they can only cast a few spells before they run out of juice for a day or so.

cheers, Mark

Guest bblackmoor

I like it. Both because it is simple and understandable and because it is almost idential to my core magic system :D

One of the best parts for me is that this new system puts less of a burden on me to create spells for the players. They can drop just about anything into the Multipower and it will get the appropriate Advantages and Limitations, and all I need to do is sanity-check it to make sure it fits the special effects of the particular style of magic.

The only diference is that mages in my game run off their own END' date=' but that casting spells has a side effect which causes them to lose LTE, so they can only cast a few spells before they run out of juice for a day or so.[/quote']

I considered that, but I've never liked Long Term Endurance (going as far back as the original Fantasy Hero, back when Fantasy Hero was a role-playing game, which was the first time I encountered the LTE concept). I don't know why I don't like it. It just annoys me. Having an End Reserve that has extra time on the Recovery accomplishes pretty much the same goal, though. I'm setting the Recovery to once per hour, because that's an easy amount of time to track and it's a nice even Limitation (-2).

One of the best parts for me is that this new system puts less of a burden on me to create spells for the players. They can drop just about anything into the Multipower and it will get the appropriate Advantages and Limitations' date=' and all I need to do is sanity-check it to make sure it fits the special effects of the particular style of magic.[/quote']

Pre-zacktly. In fact that's how I wrote the spellbook (the ultimate grimoire) for my campaign - it's a list of spells lacking "flavour" advantages/limitations which can just be dropped directly into a multipower.

I considered that' date=' but I've never liked Long Term Endurance (going as far back as the original Fantasy Hero, back when Fantasy Hero was a role-playing game, which was the first time I encountered the LTE concept). I don't know why I don't like it. It just annoys me. Having an End Reserve that has extra time on the Recovery accomplishes pretty much the same goal, though. I'm setting the Recovery to once per hour, because that's an easy amount of time to track and it's a nice even Limitation (-2).[/quote']

I use LTE instead of an END reserve for two reasons.

1. It's cheap to buy a big fat-*** END reserve

2. (more important to me) I wanted magic use to be exhausting to the magic-user, so that a sustained bout of spellcasting leaves him tottering away to lie down quietly for a while. A Mage in my game who uses up all his END, will HAVE to rest - otherwise he's burning STUN everytime he has to use END, just for running, carrying things , etc. And if he spellcasts again while he has no END he burns BOD instead :eek:

But otherwise, in fact, I use LTE only rarely. It's basically more book-keeping, which is reason enough to dislike it.

Cheers, Mark

Guest bblackmoor

I have updated the Rough Magic House Rules:

http://www.westguard.org/index.php?title=Rough_Magic:House_rules

and Magic system:

http://www.westguard.org/index.php?title=Rough_Magic:Magic

I have also updated two of the ten avenues of magic, Alchemy:

http://www.westguard.org/index.php?title=Rough_Magic:Alchemy

and Diablerie:

http://www.westguard.org/index.php?title=Rough_Magic:Diablerie

(Two down, and eight avenues to go.)