Spells - Discount for Prereqs

Greatwyrm

In FH, there is some discussion of having prerequisites for spells. For example, you need to or should know Fire Dart before Explosive Fireball. Maybe you get a cost break on the cost of Explosive Fireball for having the prereq or maybe you get a skill roll penalty for not having it.

Has anyone had experience setting up a magic system like that?

Re: Spells - Discount for Prereqs

In FH, there is some discussion of having prerequisites for spells. For example, you need to or should know Fire Dart before Explosive Fireball. Maybe you get a cost break on the cost of Explosive Fireball for having the prereq or maybe you get a skill roll penalty for not having it.

Has anyone had experience setting up a magic system like that?

Yep. Back in 4th edition I built a magic system based loosely on GURPS Magic. The prereq requirement was handled as a limitation placed on all of the spells in a given school (except for the beginner spells that are learned first).

I have a vague recollection of basing the value of the limitation on how many steps away from the beginner spell a given spell was (1/4 for every two steps, opr soemthing to that effect).

I dont have a model written up exactly like what youre talking about, but my Piedregemas and Totemic Shaman system do have a system of Prereqs leading to more powerful abilities.

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/GreyHEROContent/PackageDeals/piedragemasPackages.shtml

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/GreyHEROContent/PackageDeals/totemicPackages.shtml

I have also considered using G.U.R.P.S. Magic as a basis for spells. I have also toyed with the idea of Highest Active Point Power = Number of Spells x 10 (or 5). You can still have dabblers, but they can not buy just one 60 point fireball.