A more realistic feel for SH

CSgeekHero

Re: A more realistic feel for SH

In the various merchant campaigns I've run, unless the plot said otherwise, characters kept track of their money. We assumed that while aboard ship they didn't spend any money, and while in port they spent x credits per day for food, shelter, etc.

Because they kept track of how much money they had, they were inspired to be clever about obtaining special weapons or sensors, and so forth. The captain of the merchant vessel also kept track of the company funds, so that on the few ventures that went particularly well financially, he could invest money in upgrading the ship. After one adventure, he visited a stardock and was able to upgrade the ship's transporter from a 2-man to a 6-man transporter, which later saved some lives.

They also kept a list of what some would call personal equipment: weapons, sensors, communicators, guitars, whatever (life aboard ship doesn't allow for a lot of belongings).

In another campaign, the captain invested some of the earnings in the interstellar stock market, which formed a plot hook for several adventures.

Personally, the point is not to be anal about "you spent 6 credits at Starbucks and 23 credits at O'Reilly's ", but if they're on a desert world with no access to an ATM, buying or trading for a hyperspace fluxor may prove challenging.

My 2 cents.

Also, in the Star Fleet campaign I ran, characters kept track of money only because it influenced what they could afford to do at shore leave. But in such a campaign, money is not that important, since the service provides all the basic needs.

If your running a campaign where money does have influence (merchant, bounty hunters, pirates, mercenaries, diplomats, etc.) I'd have them keep track of the grand total and just use up a fixed amount for daily expenses, which gives them the incentive to work on jobs that earn them their money. On the other hand, if it's a campaign where money has little effect (military/war campaign, TNG-style economy, and so forth) I'd say to let them keep track of funds only lightly.

Again my 2 cents.

In the various merchant campaigns I've run, unless the plot said otherwise, characters kept track of their money. We assumed that while aboard ship they didn't spend any money, and while in port they spent x credits per day for food, shelter, etc.

Because they kept track of how much money they had, they were inspired to be clever about obtaining special weapons or sensors, and so forth. The captain of the merchant vessel also kept track of the company funds, so that on the few ventures that went particularly well financially, he could invest money in upgrading the ship. After one adventure, he visited a stardock and was able to upgrade the ship's transporter from a 2-man to a 6-man transporter, which later saved some lives.

They also kept a list of what some would call personal equipment: weapons, sensors, communicators, guitars, whatever (life aboard ship doesn't allow for a lot of belongings).

In another campaign, the captain invested some of the earnings in the interstellar stock market, which formed a plot hook for several adventures.

Personally, the point is not to be anal about "you spent 6 credits at Starbucks and 23 credits at O'Reilly's ", but if they're on a desert world with no access to an ATM, buying or trading for a hyperspace fluxor may prove challenging.

My 2 cents.

That's more along the lines I was looking for in handling money. Thanks

Speaking of 'Realism' in SF, check out this article:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-07-09-army-weapons_x.htm

It's not exactly 'news' but it's nice to see that it's finally made the mainstream, and now the public at large can start thinking in that direction.

I hope this isn't too off-topic. If you want to discuss, please do so under the NGD... if you dare.