Game of Thrones

Tyrant

Re: Game of Thrones

Feh. Interesting is not the word I'd use. Now I could sit here and argue that increasing his army by 400% actually did him very little good because achieving it actually caused him to throw away the only advantage he had in the attack' date=' as evidenced by him actually losing, whereas a quick assault on King's Landing could've allowed him to destroy the navy there and allowed him to remove Joffry from the throne. Even if he couldn't hold Kings Landing taking a few important prisoners (Cersei Lannister for example) and actually killing the king would improve his chances at becoming king. [/quote']

You could argue that. But you can't argue that Stannis behaved irrationally: his choices were to attack King's Landing with the forces to hand, and hope that the advantage of surprise would let him overcome an army as larger or larger than his own, holding a fortified city, or go to Storms End, and then march on King's Landing, trading the advantage of surprise for a 5-1 advantage in numbers. He chose the latter. It didn't work, but it actually sounds like the safer of the two choices (and it may have been: he lost, but he's still alive).

However' date=' arguing about this series annoys me more then actually reading it in the first place so I'm just going to stop doing both and hope this overrated series fades into the obscurity it deserves.[/quote']

Fair enough. Given that it appears to be the most popular fantasy series being written today and that we have at least two more books to go, I doubt it'll fade any time soon :D

cheers, Mark

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could argue that. But you can't argue that Stannis behaved irrationally:

And besides, so what if he did? Real people act irrationally all the time. Most of the time, for some. Stannis' psych lims are pretty obvious, and he got quite a few points for them.

Stannis arguably disliked Renly more than the did the Lannisters - keep in mind he'd been nursing a grudge about not getting title to Storm's End for years and years. And it was a gamble anyway. His choices were:

1. Attack the capital at once, and hope to win quickly, then escape with hostages or endure a siege from his brother.

2. Take out Renly and absorb his army, then march in force to King's Landing.

The fact that #2 failed was more due to Tyrion's able defense plans than to anything else. I have no issues in the way Stannis acted - even assuming he was totally rational, it was a gamble that made some sense. Not all gambles are won, you know.