More space news!

tkdguy

Not as exciting as it might be, unfortunately; the number doesn't conflict with the latest value to come out of analysis of the cosmic microwave background. The main point is that the error bars on the stellar parallax in this NASA study (which come from an intensive Hubble set of measurements) are tight enough that the stellar evolution fit has small enough uncertainties (+/- 0.8 Gyr) to be interesting. Even though the new parallax which is the measurement behind this article is just about identical with the previous result from the HIPPARCOS mission, the uncertainties with HIPPARCOS are so much larger that an enormous (and therefore not very interesting) range of ages is permitted with the old value.

In this case, the Wikipedia article on HD 140283 is OK ... my nom de Wiki is BSVulturis, and I bashed together the main thrust of that article last May-June when I saw the hash that was in that version of the article.

EDIT:

I got a preprint today -- only scanned it, have to read in more detail -- which may be the one I heard vaguely about related to this one. They've got a star (with only a survey number for a designation) with [Fe/H] < -7.1. That is, the ratio of iron atoms per hydrogen atom in that star is lower by more than a factor of 10 million than it is in the Sun. They do not detect iron or much of anything else in the star (but they do detect lithium, carbon, magnesium, and calcium). It isn't quite Population III but it's really close ... only one very early supernova made contributions to this one.

EDIT^2: The star is SMSS J031300.36-670839.3, and now you know about as much as you did before.