Mechanics Question

kuriequinn

Yeah, I have a basic question. Sort of.

I am trying to create a character that is based multiforms. The character would have it's base, human form then the super hero form and then a phoenix form. A human sized phoenix form. What kind of characteristics would you give a phoenix? I mean str, dex, con, bod, etc? Can some one give me a place to start, I think i could ge the rest.

If this sounds confusing, I'm sorry.

Oh, and I am using 5th ed if that matters.

Re: Mechanics Question

I'm guessing you don't have either the Hero System Bestiary or Monsters, Minions, And Marauders (link here ). Both are invaluable tools for creature multiforms of any kind. I think one even has a phoenix package/template that can be added to any otherwise normal creature.

HM

I'm guessing you don't have either the Hero System Bestiary or Monsters' date=' Minions, And Marauders[/b'] (link here ). Both are invaluable tools for creature multiforms of any kind. I think one even has a phoenix package/template that can be added to any otherwise normal creature.

HM

There are no phoenix templates or packages in the Bestiary. I don't know about MMM, as I don't have it. There are some "fire creature" templates and ideas in the bestiary though. The immortality thing would be easy, once you decide exactly what it means to "rise from the ashes."

For some generic conceptual ideas, combine what you might think of as a fire character with a bird-man character and work from there. Also, if you have CKC, take a look at Firewing, which could give you some ideas for an aerial fire form.

There are no phoenix templates or packages in the Bestiary. I don't know about MMM' date=' as I don't have it. There are some "fire creature" templates and ideas in the bestiary though. The immortality thing would be easy, once you decide exactly what it means to "rise from the ashes."[/quote']

Well, the Bestiary does have a complete character writeup for a phoenix on p. 107. Some of the templates included in the book might also be applicable depending on how you conceive of a phoenix, such as the "Divine" and "Elemental - Fire" templates on pp. 23-24.

kuriequinn, the stats that a phoenix in your campaign should have would depend on the genre and power level of the game. My suggestion would be to start designing the phoenix Multiform as if it were a regular character, with the range of Characteristics you'd normally use. That will help keep the Multiform balanced to the level of opposition. Then add Powers/Skills/Talents etc. to fit your concept, keeping Attacks and Defenses within your usual limits.

For some Power suggestions: the Phoenix is sometimes depicted as having a long lifespan even without the cycle of fiery rebirth, which happens at the end of its span. If that's the case you can probably just give it LS: Longevity and leave the rebirth event as SFX. OTOH if you want to actually stat that ability out, I'd recommend the "Regenerate From Death" option for Healing, perhaps with an "Only From Fire" Limitation.

In fantasy games the phoenix is often given fire-related abilities. Typical versions of these in HERO terms would be LS: Extreme Heat, Damage Reduction Only Vs. Heat/Fire, sometimes a fire-based Damage Aura or ranged Attack Power defined as fiery breath. Of course typical bird abilities would be appropriate: Flight bought as wings (often with the Restrainable Limitation), HKA for claws and beak, maybe some Enhanced vision abilities.

I hope that helps. Feel free to post any followup questions. :)

I, unfortunately, don't have that book.

How I am going about making this character is making each of the multiforms as individual characters. It's a layered mulitform form. There is the base id that has the mulltiform to the superhero and then the superhero to the bird. As for the powers, I have an idea of a few of them Flight based on wings is one. The regen idea you suggested is a good one. Enhanced sense, claws, beak is also a good idea. My husband suggested a damage shield for a fire based attack.