Forgotten Golden Age heroes

FenrisUlf

Just picked up several issues of Roy Thomas' ALL-STAR SQUADRON, and I think it's great.

But I would like to know, when people talk about the latter years of the Golden Age, why doesn't anyone mention people like the Shining Knight, Robotman, or Johnny Quick? Judging from the little bios they get, the characters were being published well down into the 50's. They had pretty extensive careers -- why were they forgotten while other characters were revived?

Re: Forgotten Golden Age heroes

Well, Shining Knight was brought back in Stars & Stripes, and Johnny Quick appeared in a bunch of places (IIRC, he died in the Zero Hour crossover, but his daughter was in the Titans.) And check out the "Golden Age" LS or trade paperback by James Robinson for JQ, Robotman and a bunch more in an Elseworlds story that should have been canon. dw

50's Hell we were getting black and white reprints of "Johnny Quick"(and such classics as "Roy Raymond :T V Detective")in Australia well into the 60's ! For insights into some of the older and less well known comic book heros try to get hold of Äll In Colour For A Dime"and "The Comic Book Book"by Don Thompson and Dick Lupoff. The writeups on "Second Banana Superheros"are very interesting.

Well' date=' Shining Knight was brought back in Stars & Stripes, and Johnny Quick appeared in a bunch of places (IIRC, he died in the Zero Hour crossover, but his daughter was in the Titans.) And check out the "Golden Age" LS or trade paperback by James Robinson for JQ, Robotman and a bunch more in an Elseworlds story that should have been canon. dw[/quote']

Darren, I know you are the author of next years Golden Age Champions, and I have seen you post before about your extensive GA camapign which many of the published characters in the current CU are based on.

My question is this, did you base your GA characters on any of the old DC/Marvel GA characters or where they based more on popular archetypes?

rgds

Torch

There was a very good game supplement for the DC Heroes RPG' date=' which detailed all of the WW2 heroes and villians, but its probably out of print now, i can't remember its title though.[/quote']I don't remember one for DCH, phil; perhaps you are thinking of the JSA Sourcebook for the DCURPG? A worthwhile book to pick up, if you can find it. It's got write-ups for the GA JSA, the All-Star Squadron, the Young All-Stars, the Freedom Fighters, the Seven Soldiers of Victory, Infinity Inc., and the modern JSA, with the information up-to-date through the publishing date of May, 2001.

50's Hell we were getting black and white reprints of "Johnny Quick"(and such classics as "Roy Raymond :T V Detective")in Australia well into the 60's ! For insights into some of the older and less well known comic book heros try to get hold of Äll In Colour For A Dime"and "The Comic Book Book"by Don Thompson and Dick Lupoff. The writeups on "Second Banana Superheros"are very interesting.

I picked up a copy of "All In Color For A Dime" at the State Fair of all places, a few weeks ago. They had a big booth of closeout books, and there it was.

I think it cost me all of four dollars.

KA.

I don't remember one for DCH' date=' phil; perhaps you are thinking of the [u']JSA Sourcebook[/u] for the DCURPG? A worthwhile book to pick up, if you can find it. It's got write-ups for the GA JSA, the All-Star Squadron, the Young All-Stars, the Freedom Fighters, the Seven Soldiers of Victory, Infinity Inc., and the modern JSA, with the information up-to-date through the publishing date of May, 2001.

Phil is refering to Mayfair's _The World At War_, which was indeed for the DCHeroes RPG. It contains a succinct timeline of WW2 that manages to convey the atmosphere of the All-Star Squadron comics, which survives (I think) the Crisis on Infinite Earths mostly intact by virtue of focusing on these 'forgotten heroes' instead of the Justice Society and the Big Three (Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman). It's a pity the related "America versus the Justice Society" couldn't - but I digress.

To me the most entertaining part of the book is the flavor text after each write up of the All-Stars - allegedly excerpts from the Fifth Column Field Guide and comments by Captain Nazi. For example, following the Spectre's stats it reads "flee immediately...if you can" and "Our only cause for hope is the fortunate lengthy gaps between his appearances."

Of all these, my favorite is Captain Nazi's terse assessment of The Whip (a Zorro rip-off). Herr Krieger says "The _what_?"

Phil is refering to Mayfair's _The World At War_' date=' which was indeed for the DCHeroes RPG. It contains a succinct timeline of WW2 that manages to convey the atmosphere of the All-Star Squadron comics,...[/quote']Cool! I thought I had all the DCH books, but somehow, I missed this one. Thanks (to Enforcer also) for mentioning it. I'll have to try and find it for my collection.
Of all these, my favorite is Captain Nazi's terse assessment of The Whip (a Zorro rip-off). Herr Krieger says "The _what_?"
Heh, The Whip was kinda lame as an obvious knock-off of Zorro, but he was very effective with his trademark weapon.

I don't remember one for DCH' date=' phil; perhaps you are thinking of the [u']JSA Sourcebook[/u] for the DCURPG? A worthwhile book to pick up, if you can find it. It's got write-ups for the GA JSA, the All-Star Squadron, the Young All-Stars, the Freedom Fighters, the Seven Soldiers of Victory, Infinity Inc., and the modern JSA, with the information up-to-date through the publishing date of May, 2001.

no, I've found my copy, it was called "The World at War" and was published in 1991, it was a sourcebook for the DC Heroes RPG by Mayfair games.

It included all of the WW2 Heroes and Villians, including the Golden Age Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, as well as the War Comics Heroes such as Sgt Rock and Easy Company, The Black Hawks, etc.

I loved ALL STAR SQUADRON. Great book.

The characters you mention were all lesser-lights who never had their own books. That said, all three often saw their adventures reprinted in anthology books during the '70s.

Shining Knight (one of my favorite lesser DCU characters, btw) is going to be getting a one-shot from Grant Morrison in the near future. Johnny Quick is deceased now in DCU continuity.

You might check out the Starman series by James Robinson (most are in trades I think) and Sandman Mystery Theater (which has more of a pulp-feel but starts moving towards the golden age towards the end of its run).

Both (especially Starman) had a few golden age guest stars.

I'm not the Golden Age junkie I once was, but one of the guys in my gaming group practically defines the term.

Here's his Directory of Golden Age Heroes (use the sidebar to navigate to the individual pages, it wasn't immediately apparent to me).

(Yeah, I have Jess Nevins in my gaming group. Life is hard. :D )

(Edit: My favorite obscure hero Jess told me about is the Red Torpedo, who once piloted his crimson submarine into the underwater caves of Queen Klytora. Seriously.)

Johnny Quick was in the Flash (Wally West) for a while.

I have a friend who was a big Shining Knight fan. So big we converted and played him in Champions. Albeit that Sir Jonathel of Dochester was not as smart as Fennick the Equine Wonder his flying horse. He even has a specially made T-Shirt of the The Shining Knight.

I thought from DC Continuity that Robotman became the shell that was used in Doom Patrol for their Robot character.

Darren, I know you are the author of next years Golden Age Champions, and I have seen you post before about your extensive GA camapign which many of the published characters in the current CU are based on.

My question is this, did you base your GA characters on any of the old DC/Marvel GA characters or where they based more on popular archetypes?

rgds

Torch

Well, most of the heroes were PCs, so you'd have to ask them, but it's certainly true that we tried to create a feel that was heavily influenced by All-Star Squadron, the Invaders, and my own collection of period reprints. The joke was that any "character bit" or type we could think of more than one of from different publishers needed to be represented somehow in the setting; therefore, since DC had Hawkman and Timely had Red Raven, we needed a hero with wings and so we created American Eagle, who wasn't really that similar to either except in the broadest sense. Princess Mara was cerainly influenced by Namor and Aquaman, but also by Supergirl and Disney movies. Optimus had some Captain America in him, but probably more Doc Savage, and Dr. Twilight was a weird combination of Dr. Mid-Nite, Dr. Fate and the Shadow. The most straight-up ripoff was probably Cowboy, who started off entirely as a Vigilante ripoff (hero who uses the tools of the Wild West to fight crime in the "modern" cities.) Except that we eventually revealed he wasn't the tobacco-spitting hayseed he'd seemed to be, but a well-educated man playing a role, and expanded his character to make him the ultimate master of disguise and infiltration since he'd so fooled even his closest friends.

We were also fond of inserting pulp and other pop culture heroes into the setting, though our rule was "no comic-based supers." Therefore, our setting also featured the ongoing war between the Lensmen and Boskone, the remnants of Professor Moriarty's criminal organization, Fu Manchu, the early days of organizations like U.N.C.L.E and UNIT (including Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart's father, who was an important NPC, as was young Naval officer Alexander Waverley), and a British teenage reprobate with an eye for the ladies named "Bond. Jimmy Bond." dw

Well, most of the heroes were PCs, so you'd have to ask them, but it's certainly true that we tried to create a feel that was heavily influenced by All-Star Squadron, the Invaders, and my own collection of period reprints. The joke was that any "character bit" or type we could think of more than one of from different publishers needed to be represented somehow in the setting; therefore, since DC had Hawkman and Timely had Red Raven, we needed a hero with wings and so we created American Eagle, who wasn't really that similar to either except in the broadest sense. Princess Mara was cerainly influenced by Namor and Aquaman, but also by Supergirl and Disney movies. Optimus had some Captain America in him, but probably more Doc Savage, and Dr. Twilight was a weird combination of Dr. Mid-Nite, Dr. Fate and the Shadow. The most straight-up ripoff was probably Cowboy, who started off entirely as a Vigilante ripoff (hero who uses the tools of the Wild West to fight crime in the "modern" cities.) Except that we eventually revealed he wasn't the tobacco-spitting hayseed he'd seemed to be, but a well-educated man playing a role, and expanded his character to make him the ultimate master of disguise and infiltration since he'd so fooled even his closest friends.

We were also fond of inserting pulp and other pop culture heroes into the setting, though our rule was "no comic-based supers." Therefore, our setting also featured the ongoing war between the Lensmen and Boskone, the remnants of Professor Moriarty's criminal organization, Fu Manchu, the early days of organizations like U.N.C.L.E and UNIT (including Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart's father, who was an important NPC, as was young Naval officer Alexander Waverley), and a British teenage reprobate with an eye for the ladies named "Bond. Jimmy Bond." dw

Can''t wait to see the characters in Golden Age Champs and Pulp Hero

Rgds

Torch

Phil is refering to Mayfair's _The World At War_, which was indeed for the DCHeroes RPG. It contains a succinct timeline of WW2 that manages to convey the atmosphere of the All-Star Squadron comics, which survives (I think) the Crisis on Infinite Earths mostly intact by virtue of focusing on these 'forgotten heroes' instead of the Justice Society and the Big Three (Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman). It's a pity the related "America versus the Justice Society" couldn't - but I digress.

To me the most entertaining part of the book is the flavor text after each write up of the All-Stars - allegedly excerpts from the Fifth Column Field Guide and comments by Captain Nazi. For example, following the Spectre's stats it reads "flee immediately...if you can" and "Our only cause for hope is the fortunate lengthy gaps between his appearances."

Red Bee's was better: It was something about how Nazi intelegence is not sure if he is a mystery man (AKA Super hero) or an escaped lunitic

Red Bee's was better: It was something about how Nazi intelegence is not sure if he is a mystery man (AKA Super hero) or an escaped lunitic

Well, yes, there were several that were funny and in the "These Amerikaners think anyone can put on a mask and be threat, they must all be crazy" vein. They were all, IMO, sarcastic but fond editorial comments about the absurdity of some of the characters.

While I still choose the Whip's entry as the best comment, I will grant you the Red Bee is a more lame character. :D

I don't know if this is true, but I had heard somewhere that DC Comics had come up with an Iron Age version of the Red Bee, making him a psycho with a swarm of killer bees under his mental thrall.

Can anyone confirm or refute this? I haven't bought a comic book in around two years between being laid off and generally disgusted with the quality of the mainstream titles. (Said disgust is what is leading me to start up a Champions campaign RSN.)