Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

I would say the Brits are a lot smarter than us' date=' but they DID give us [i']Big Brother[/i] and Simon Cowell. :(

JG

You don't mention that and we won't mention the Cyrus family or the fact that it was an American (Usher) who made Beiber famous. Or the Twilight books.....

Besides Big Brother came from the Dutch.

Well at least I have my Philosophers Stone on my bookshelf. It IS the place to keep it.

On a related note, I still (as an American) grouse about the title changes of the first Harry Potter book and film to "and the Sorcerer's Stone". :mad:

Point #1: Not all Americans are that ill-read.

Point #2: The McGuffin in question was well-explained IN THE BOOK AND MOVIE. Was some pin-headed focus group worried that some soccer mom would have to go look up the word "philosopher" in, like, y'now, a real dictionary? GOOD!!! She damn-well needs to!

edit: We HAVE an NTSC copy of the British version on DvD. SO THERE! :P

On a related note, I still (as an American) grouse about the title changes of the first Harry Potter book and film to "and the Sorcerer's Stone". :mad:

Point #1: Not all Americans are that ill-read.

Point #2: The McGuffin in question was well-explained IN THE BOOK AND MOVIE. Was some pin-headed focus group worried that some soccer mom would have to go look up the word "philosopher" in, like, y'now, a real dictionary? GOOD!!! She damn-well needs to!

edit: We HAVE an NTSC copy of the British version on DvD. SO THERE! :P

IIRC (not that i really care, i haven't read the books nor seen any of the films in full) the renaming had something to do with appeasing The Bible Belt.

IIRC (not that i really care' date=' i haven't read the books nor seen any of the films in full) the renaming had something to do with appeasing The Bible Belt.[/quote']

While I would not be surprised if this were the case... my only response would be "What? The word "sorcerer" has a LESS negative connotation than "philosopher", religiously speaking?.." /facepalm

Or was someone who IS well-read enough worried about reference to a fictional source of immortality contradicting a "real" one? /doublefacepalmsquared

While I would not be surprised if this were the case... my only response would be "What? The word "sorcerer" has a LESS negative connotation than "philosopher", religiously speaking?.." /facepalm

Or was someone who IS well-read enough worried about reference to a fictional source of immortality contradicting a "real" one? /doublefacepalmsquared

my post above is only a guess from what i remember, posted it as to give one (sensible) reason, hopefully the right (or close enough) reason.

:)

(i can't remember, nor do i feel compelled to look it up :) )

my post above is only a guess from what i remember, posted it as to give one (sensible) reason, hopefully the right (or close enough) reason.

:)

(i can't remember, nor do i feel compelled to look it up :) )

What are you trying to do here, defuse a perfectly good rant?!?

*takes a deep breath...*

0.o

...damn you...

;)

The thing is' date=' everything in a specialized field is pretty much going to stay in that specialized field, unless it can be explained to "Joe Normal". Everyone in a specialized field is "Joe Normal" to other fields, after all.[/quote']

I think I need a specific example here of a tech point you think is being inadequately explained ... and if you can use one of my posts as that example, so much the better. Otherwise it sounds like you're calling people with special expertise lazy, worthless, stuck-up, or devoid of commonplace communication skills, because they won't or can't or can't be bothered to explain in 30 minutes or less the expertise it took them four or six or eight years to earn.

Who said I was being philosophical?.. :D

Speaking of which...

Because I was bored. :P

I remember reading the book and thinking "Wait a minute. They're talking about the Philosopher's Stone! Why don't they call it that?"

And the reason is, a corporation that specializes in educational books for children, was convinced that American children are so anti-intellectual, that they wouldn't read a book with the word "Philosopher" in the title.

Lucius Alexander

And the Philosopher's Palindromedary

The religious people I knew wouldn't let their kids read the Potter books because of the dealing with magic. But saw no disconnect about owning every Disney princess movie ever. Or Veggie Tails...which is about talking vegetables.

And the reason is, a corporation that specializes in educational books for children, was convinced that American children are so anti-intellectual, that they wouldn't read a book with the word "Philosopher" in the title.

Aren't they? I haven't been to a high school recently, but the last time I spent time at one, being intellectual was seen as being party to the Establishment and was therefore automatically uncool.

I remember reading the book and thinking "Wait a minute. They're talking about the Philosopher's Stone! Why don't they call it that?"

Lucius Alexander

And the Philosopher's Palindromedary

Or that their parents are so anti-intellectual as to discourage it.

Aren't they? I haven't been to a high school recently' date=' but the last time I spent time at one, being intellectual was seen as being party to the Establishment and was therefore automatically uncool.[/quote']

Really? Hmmm.

Ok Raise your hands everyone who was a nerd in high school and liked to read.

*raises hand*