Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

The GPL is indeed somewhat viral' date=' but I feel compelled to point out that it wouldn't work any other way. Without the "viral" clause, you could take GPL code, change a variable name, and privatize it. Which is precisely what the authors of the GPL wanted to prevent.[/quote']

Having worked for a company that wanted to steal bits of GPL'd code for their own use, the GPL is fine.

Certainly better than some of the software patents that stemmed from a method.

Women with freckles.

I've never understood it, but apparently they're taught from birth that freckles make them ugly.

I was so pissed off at an Ad in Professional Photographer. The ad was to show their SW would "fix" a portrait of someone. Took a pretty girl and erased all her freckles.

Reminds me, I need to send an email saying that their ad assured me I will not be buying Portrait Professional. (not that I was thinking of buying it anyway)

QFT ! I have freckles everywhere' date=' not just on my face. I would not wish my childhood on anyone. Just as bad as the abuse are the Adults who thought they were so clever and original and funny when they asked "Where'd you get all them freckles?" And I wasn't supposed to be rude to them. Honestly, what's a child supposed to say to a question like that ???? Don't even get me started on the red hair.[/quote']

Red hair and freckles? This is exactly why I will continue to demand that the forum get a drooling smiley!

Wow' date=' it only went 10 episodes?[/quote']

Yes. Apparently of low ratings, NBC reduced the number of episodes, and the last was released online. I get the feeling that there were more episodes planned & for it to have a better ending.

And Firefly had 11 released episodes, with 3 unaired.

A darn shame. I really quite enjoyed the Cape. It was quirky and fun if a bit cheesy

As did I. It was a good Dark Champs type show.

Did Summer Glau get Firefly-ed' date=' or did The Cape get Summer Glaued? ;)[/quote']

Maybe a bit of both.

Why didn't King Midas just wear gloves? I mean' date=' the pattern was well-established and he might as well test countermeasures.[/quote']

Gloves still would not let him eat or drink, since those things turned to gold, too, once they touched his mouth.

Good point. OTOH' date=' his daughter may not have been a statue.[/quote']

In the stories I remember, his daughter sort of surprised him and came bounding up to him and gave him a hug (as little girls are prone to do), in spite of his warnings to her to stay away. Ergo, even if he did have gloves, it wouldn't have helped against a full-body-hug.