Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

I made a comment to someone about doing that in front of me. They looked over' date=' apologized, and went to the back of the line.[/quote']

Yeah, that is the more normal response. In that particular case both the person doing the "line jumping" and the person at the start of the queue seemed...a bit high strung. It all worked out in the end. No one got kicked out of the store and the cops didn't get called. Both of which got threatened...

Today I heard an anglo complaining about someone wanting to "have their cake and eat it too." I have always wondered' date=' when I hear this nonsense expression, why would someone want cake if they cannot eat it?[/quote']

I believe the origin of the phrase is attributed to Marie Antoinette. When hearing that the French people were revolting about not having any bread to eat she allegedly said 'Let them eat cake' as if that would solve the problem.

I believe the origin of the phrase is attributed to Marie Antoinette. When hearing that the French people were revolting about not having any bread to eat she allegedly said 'Let them eat cake' as if that would solve the problem.

Would that not entail allowing them have their cake and eat it? Whereas, people complain, in addition to wanting cake, that people actually intend to eat it. It seems Marie Antionette was being a liberal hearted proponent of culinary justice from that perspective. More seriously, I think she meant 'who cares about their demands,' since, as a recall, there was no actual intent to give them anything, let alone cake. In other words, she asserted they were being unreasonable (you know, to want to eat and stuff). I know what people mean when they use the phrase, but like many colloquialisms, they make no actual sense.

"Having cake" = owning it as an object of wealth or art

"Eating it too" = enjoying the taste

Once you do the latter, you cease to do the former.

---

Marie Antoinette...

"The people complain that you eat cake while they have no bread."

"Let them eat cake."

She was mocking their demands.

Would that not entail allowing them have their cake and eat it? Whereas' date=' people complain, in addition to wanting cake, that people actually intend to eat it. It seems Marie Antionette was being a liberal hearted proponent of culinary justice from that perspective. More seriously, I think she meant 'who cares about their demands,' since, as a recall, there was no actual intent to give them anything, let alone cake. In other words, she asserted they were being unreasonable (you know, to want to eat and stuff). I know what people mean when they use the phrase, but like many colloquialisms, they make no actual sense.[/quote']

I think I saw this skit in a Mary-Kate and Ashley movie of the step-daughters.

Lash thyselves immediately.

My "check engine" light came on today. What an amazingly uninformative error signal. It's like a blue screen of death for a car.

Run a basic diagnostic .. could be something as simple as the O2 sensor.

Or in the case of my brothers cars... your Check Engine Light is broken.

I was low on oil, which I actually knew already. But I was struck by how useless it is as far as telling me anything about the problem.

You say that as if I had any idea that cars have O2 sensors. What comprises a "basic diagnostic?"

Ha! That happened to us once.

I am so glad no one in the NGD cares about the love lives of Jennifer Aniston' date=' Brad Pitt, and Angelina Jolie.[/quote']

So you HAD to come taint Hero Games with those names, didn't you? :mad:

I get by these days by completely ignoring celebrity gossip, and pretending it's not even happening, never mind that there ARE people who care about it.

I was low on oil, which I actually knew already. But I was struck by how useless it is as far as telling me anything about the problem.

You say that as if I had any idea that cars have O2 sensors. What comprises a "basic diagnostic?"

Ha! That happened to us once.

O2 (Oxygen) sensors control the mix of fuel and oxygen in the car, makes it go. Too much or too little causes problems. It's more of an issue at the higher altitudes I'm at though.

Basic diagnostic checks all the little parts that make the car go correctly. Go to a Tires Plus or something similar (Firestone, etc...) tell 'em you want a basic diagnostic test because your check engine light is on. Run you about $20 and should find the problem, then you just have to fix it....

Preventative care now could save you extremely costly repairs later.

O2 (Oxygen) sensors control the mix of fuel and oxygen in the car, makes it go. Too much or too little causes problems. It's more of an issue at the higher altitudes I'm at though.

Basic diagnostic checks all the little parts that make the car go correctly. Go to a Tires Plus or something similar (Firestone, etc...) tell 'em you want a basic diagnostic test because your check engine light is on. Run you about $20 and should find the problem, then you just have to fix it....

Preventative care now could save you extremely costly repairs later.

Thanks. I'm due for a tuneup and brake job anyway. An upholstry cleaning too, as I think about it.

Another possibility is that it is one of the lovely cars that is designed to have it's Check Engine light come on after x mileage to "force" people to get their cars serviced. Rather annoying, though fortunately Toyota doesn't seem to use this trick so I haven't personally been bitten by it. Particularly insidious because most (all?) states won't pass a car for emissions if the Check Engine light is on, regardless of the results of the test.

I had that happen once. I took it into the dealership, they poked a bit, and said, "Your light was broken. We replaced the fuse. Five bucks, please."

Another possibility is that it is one of the lovely cars that is designed to have it's Check Engine light come on after x mileage to "force" people to get their cars serviced. Rather annoying' date=' though fortunately Toyota doesn't seem to use this trick so I haven't personally been bitten by it. Particularly insidious because most (all?) states won't pass a car for emissions if the Check Engine light is on, regardless of the results of the test.[/quote']

... I couldn't help but read that and think "Mircosoft makes cars?"

Another possibility is that it is one of the lovely cars that is designed to have it's Check Engine light come on after x mileage to "force" people to get their cars serviced. Rather annoying' date=' though fortunately Toyota doesn't seem to use this trick so I haven't personally been bitten by it. Particularly insidious because most (all?) states won't pass a car for emissions if the Check Engine light is on, regardless of the results of the test.[/quote']

Do you know which cars do this ? I'd like to avoid them if I can in the future.

No, sorry. I wont even guarantee that the info is accurate, though I was told by a couple of sources that I trust. To the best of my rememberance the culprits were all American manufacturers, which is one of the reasons I didn't really pay attention to which cars they were. I'm a die hard Toyota fan. :D

Acura does, or used to--the 'service engine soon' light in my Integra is mileage-based. But I don't see that as some kind of insidious conspiracy, especially since I know the button to turn it off is right under the dash.

. . . I thought that that whole incident has been proven as political propaganda?

I am so glad no one in the NGD cares about the love lives of Jennifer Aniston' date=' Brad Pitt, and Angelina Jolie.[/quote']

Insofar as I am not part of any of those love lives, I do not care. I might wish, but ...

Insofar as I am not part of any of those love lives' date=' I do not care. I might wish, but ...[/quote']

Angelina Jolie is certainly a hottie, but neither of the others really do anything for me. Brad Pitt 'cause I'm not really into guys, and I've just never found Jennifer Aniston to be particularly attractive.

And I don't really have any more interest in their love lives than I have interest in the love lives of any of the billions of other people in the world that I don't know.

Angelina Jolie is certainly a hottie, but neither of the others really do anything for me. Brad Pitt 'cause I'm not really into guys, and I've just never found Jennifer Aniston to be particularly attractive.

And I don't really have any more interest in their love lives than I have interest in the love lives of any of the billions of other people in the world that I don't know.

So...lots? None? indeterminate amounts? Depends of if you can see them from your window?

:D

. . . I thought that that whole incident has been proven as political propaganda?

As I understand it, it's the translation that's in question. The word she used was not 'cake,' but that of a sweeter, finer bread than du pain. And the version I heard (in French and history classes) was that she was demonstrating her lack of understanding in their plight. When informed the people had no bread, she replied that they should have [the word for the more expensive bread], not understanding it wasn't an option. She simply had no concept of lack of money or starvation.