Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Aren't Catholics the ones who drink human blood? :D

My grandmother sincerely believed they are idol worshippers and called them such.

PS - though when her sister turned Mormon she was very upset and exclaimed "Even Catholic would be better than that!"

Such a tolerant woman...

And, of course, our current GOvernor, who I believe I did vote for, wants to change our emissions standards to the CALIFORNIA standards.

SO, now everyone needs to buy 1000+ dollar 4 stroke outboards for their boats, and all the other fun little things the CA standards have mandated.

Yi. Well as long as they don't bring in the reg fees up to the california model, it's better in the long run.

And truly sorry about the voting fiasco in washington. For the avatar, no votes were recieved from Washington. So no worries there...

She lost the first count and the first recount, until they dug up the "misplaced ballots"

This state is going to be political HELL.

Stuff like this is why I could never put up with Democratic arguments that Bush "stole" the 2000 election.

They smack of "projecting." :eg:

JG

It might in some ways be better in the long run, as long as people can AFFORD the extra cost of vehicles... I live in a relatively low paid area, the property prices reflect this.

What happens to those of us who drive 20+ year old vehicles?

My brother in law was ranting about how the government standards should make all vehicles hybrid, or mandate 30+mpg, or some such. So far, Ford added iirc $6k to the cost of an Escape on the hybrid model...

The place we are buying is far enough out I am not sure the little honda civic we will drive once we fix the dead cylinder will be able to clear fresh snow. :(

That means back to the pickups, for half the mileage.

Yi. Well as long as they don't bring in the reg fees up to the california model, it's better in the long run.

And truly sorry about the voting fiasco in washington. For the avatar, no votes were recieved from Washington. So no worries there...

It might in some ways be better in the long run, as long as people can AFFORD the extra cost of vehicles... I live in a relatively low paid area, the property prices reflect this.

What happens to those of us who drive 20+ year old vehicles?

My brother in law was ranting about how the government standards should make all vehicles hybrid, or mandate 30+mpg, or some such. So far, Ford added iirc $6k to the cost of an Escape on the hybrid model...

The place we are buying is far enough out I am not sure the little honda civic we will drive once we fix the dead cylinder will be able to clear fresh snow. :(

That means back to the pickups, for half the mileage.

To be truthful, I think there should be plenty of incentives for people to go to better cars.

I'd like everyone to drive vehicles that are lower impact on the enviroment. However, I can't see that happenning easily enough. I also think there should be different standards for the need of the person. I see no need for a Hummer (for an extreme example) as a commuter vehicle. However, there are people who are practically forced to drive older cars due to cost. I can't afford the insurance on a new car (much less a new car) so I'm driving something that gets crappy milage.

Since I'm being brain scattered, let's just say I agree with you. Just wish there was a better way.

Costco has a website? So I don't have to mingle with the inbred families with 17 kids trying to have lunch by clogging the ends of the aisles and stuffing thier tooth lacking maws?

Apparently the Costco in Cabo is very clean and not crowded at all.

I don't understand why so many people want pickups with 8 liter turbodiesels. and such. VERY FEW of them tow 6 horse trailers!!!!!

Hummers make NO sense to me, unless you live on a ranch or some such.

If I had my way, there would be Massive windfarms (reminds me I have an idea that might be worth patenting) and there would be massive subsidies to help replace old cars and such with new Hybrids and other high-efficiency vehicles. ALso at least a $5k subsidy on geothermal heating/cooling for houses that can do it, and other subsidies to increase energy efficiency. I don't know where the money would come from, though. SOme of this could be varied relative to local climate.

Oh, and those who live in Los ANgeles and surrounding areas would be allowed no more than a 10x10 foot patch of bluegrass blend lawn. Any amount they want of buffalo grass, it needs something like 1/10th the water. :)

HEY, I know. Lets put a Federal 20% tax on Hummers, suburbans, and such. This could be waived for those who can demonstrate a real business need, for instance. ;)

and since I hate cigarette smoke (my mom would kill me for this one) an extra $1 per pack federal tax on that.

Though Some of us NEED pickup trucks. Hay is rather heavy and bulky. :(

To be truthful, I think there should be plenty of incentives for people to go to better cars.

I'd like everyone to drive vehicles that are lower impact on the enviroment. However, I can't see that happenning easily enough. I also think there should be different standards for the need of the person. I see no need for a Hummer (for an extreme example) as a commuter vehicle. However, there are people who are practically forced to drive older cars due to cost. I can't afford the insurance on a new car (much less a new car) so I'm driving something that gets crappy milage.

Since I'm being brain scattered, let's just say I agree with you. Just wish there was a better way.

I can't rep you right now. :( I didn't notice your second sentence the first time I read this. :eg:

Washington was right. Political parties are an abomination. :(

Stuff like this is why I could never put up with Democratic arguments that Bush "stole" the 2000 election.

They smack of "projecting." :eg:

JG

I know. In fact I wrote an article for a local paper to that effect, although I'm not sure if there's a link for it. I'm Libertarian mainly because I'm more in line with them than the GOP, but the more I think about it, the more convinced I am that most of our problems are due to political parties (a Parliamentary system that Washington warned us not to duplicate here).

JG

You must have seen only the Lego movie. The one you want to see has Toby McGuire and Alfred Molina.

No, that was the one I saw. You could have cut out a good third of that movie without losing anything. And since when does everyone get to know Spidey's secret ID?

Like I said...not impressed at all. Definitely didn't live up to the hype.

Guest Skaramine

Hummers make NO sense to me' date=' unless you live on a ranch or some such. [/quote']

But the Ma Deuce ripped the roof off my Tercel on full-auto. The Hummer was the only thing to hold it... and have room for the missile rack behind the tail lights.

Guest Skaramine

No, that was the one I saw. You could have cut out a good third of that movie without losing anything. And since when does everyone get to know Spidey's secret ID?

Like I said...not impressed at all. Definitely didn't live up to the hype.

:shrug:

I still respect most of your opinions.

I can't rep you right now. :( I didn't notice your second sentence the first time I read this. :eg:

Tell me about it... When I came of voting age, I joined the Libertarian Party out of spite to the GOP and Dems. Here in the last few years, I watched in disgust as the civil libertarian fringe began to muddy up that party. Just before this last election, I went and changed my affiliation to Independant and I now would like to see a nonpartisan candidate be put forth in the next presidential election. I strongly believe that the politcial parties today are the primary cause of the sorry state of American society.

You know I don't dabble with politics here on the Board. Mainly that's because the politics discussed here is mostly american politics, and I'm not an american.

But regarding the problem with parties: Maybe the trouble is that you only have two that really counts?