Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

The real world is catching up to super-heroes.

If nothing else, I love Sebastian Foucan, originator of Le Parkour/Free Running, for doing things that until now I relied on the artists of Nightwing, Spider-Man and Daredevil to provide me.

And, he gives Boneface a name for his Flight power that fits. :D

Le Parkour

There was a programme about Free Running and Sebastian on over the holiday on Channel 4 in Britain. The idea was to do Free Running over well known buildings in Britain. But they also showed Sebastian taking a couple of Brit free runners around the estate in France where Free Running began and also training in Britain. Two Brit guys did something leaping over an obstacle then clinging onto a wall which Sebastian had to try several times before he mastered it.

Guest Skaramine

There was a programme about Free Running and Sebastian on over the holiday on Channel 4 in Britain. The idea was to do Free Running over well known buildings in Britain. But they also showed Sebastian taking a couple of Brit free runners around the estate in France where Free Running began and also training in Britain. Two Brit guys did something leaping over an obstacle then clinging onto a wall which Sebastian had to try several times before he mastered it.

I think that was the same show I saw yesterday.

Guest Skaramine

He had done a previous one where he was Free Running around London and that was entitled IIRC Jump London. This one was Jump Britain

Yeah. I saw Jump|London. I wanna see Jump|Britain.

I'd love to see Jump|New York, with someone dressed as Spider-Man. :D

I wonder how much trouble I would get in if I tried to sell my collection of Magic: the Gathering cards on the NGD in an attempt to raise money for my taxes and John's glasses...

That would really be a question for Ben & Steve. I'd frown on it, but it's not my board. ;)

I actually sold all my cards Thursday Night. I had ~10,000 cards and dumped them for $1500. These were Antiquities - ~5th edition. The Moxies & Lotus had already been sold sometime ago (full set for $800).

When I looked over on Blackborder.com the prices made it look like I got a good deal and the guy that bought them should be able to make money off them all. The nice thing was that I had a printout of all my cards seperated by set & edition from when I was into playing. And doing a check for the valuable cards showed they were all there which was cool.

I found my buyer thru a nickel ad paper.

Do you ever think back on what might have been if you'd done something different with your life? For example' date=' decades ago, I came within one word of applying for the FBI--and I told the recruiter 'no'. But what if I had decided to join the FBI anyway, even though they could have had me posted anywhere in the country? Would things have been any better? Worse? Or just different? I'd almost certainly have spent a fairly large chunk of my life in a completely different state.[/quote']

I've got a bunch of them. I'm not happy with my life right now in terms of career, but I'm happy with my past decisions for the most part. But I do wonder what would of happened with some of the choices I had.

I've got a bunch of them. I'm not happy with my life right now in terms of career' date=' but I'm happy with my past decisions for the most part. But I do wonder what would of happened with some of the choices I had.[/quote']

I had a bunch of them. I hated being a lawyer, and every single day as I left my home to go to work, I imagined running far far away and never coming back. I had forgotten the sound of my own laughter. My inner voice, usually a monologue or dialogue or wieghing of options, had become a primal howling scream. I believed that if I could simply accept that my life was what it should be, that everything would be OK. I thought about suicide as rationally as one can contemplate such an non-option.

So I quit. I quit my job, I quit my wife, I quit every wretched second of the life I had worked so hard to create, and now I'm living with the girl I took to my senior prom 13 years ago and never stopped thinking about, temping for a living, and I'm about to take a welding class. I've backtracked a great deal. God am I happy.

As for the what-ifs I haven't done, I sometimes wish I'd gone to sniper school when the Army offered it to me. But only in my darker moments, and I don't have nearly as many of those now as I used to.

That would really be a question for Ben & Steve. I'd frown on it, but it's not my board. ;)

I actually sold all my cards Thursday Night. I had ~10,000 cards and dumped them for $1500. These were Antiquities - ~5th edition. The Moxies & Lotus had already been sold sometime ago (full set for $800).

When I looked over on Blackborder.com the prices made it look like I got a good deal and the guy that bought them should be able to make money off them all. The nice thing was that I had a printout of all my cards seperated by set & edition from when I was into playing. And doing a check for the valuable cards showed they were all there which was cool.

I found my buyer thru a nickel ad paper.

I've got about 5500 cards, not including the ones in the sets, all in really good condition, from Beta through 5th edition, Arabian Nights through Stronghold, plus all the one-offs I got from playing in tournaments and on the Pro Tours. I normally am not in this huge rush to sell off my cards, but with taxes looming over our heads, it'd be nice to raise some cash.

I might post ads in the local gaming and comics stores and see if I can get some response...

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Do you ever think back on what might have been if you'd done something different with your life? For example' date=' decades ago, I came within one word of applying for the FBI--and I told the recruiter 'no'. But what if I had decided to join the FBI anyway, even though they could have had me posted anywhere in the country? Would things have been any better? Worse? Or just different? I'd almost certainly have spent a fairly large chunk of my life in a completely different state.[/quote']

I try not to have regrets (don't always succeed, though). But there are some things that I wonder how they would have changed my life.

If I'd not gone to meet my then-fiance as he came home on leave from the Air Force...

If I'd defied my parents and gone to school to study music as I'd dreamed of...

If I had spent one night in San Diego with a then-love instead of giving in to common sense and coming straight home...

If I had walked away the first time my then-boyfriend started hitting walls and throwing things instead of staying...

If I had not walked away from my schooling despite the fact that I was staring alcoholism and depression in the face...

If I could have convinced my father to stop smoking...

And yet, for all the things that I can't change, I have had so many "second chances" in life. By my count, I should have died no less than ten times in my life already (what would have been fatal accidents, three separate and varied suicide attempts, nearly being killed twice by violent ex-boyfriends), and yet here I am. So I guess that come what may, I'm here for the duration, and I'd better enjoy this life while I'm in it.

And as John has pointed out more than once when depression still lurks in the depths of my mind, the hells I've been through have made me the woman he fell in love with. So I guess it's not all bad.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

I had a bunch of them. I hated being a lawyer, and every single day as I left my home to go to work, I imagined running far far away and never coming back. I had forgotten the sound of my own laughter. My inner voice, usually a monologue or dialogue or wieghing of options, had become a primal howling scream. I believed that if I could simply accept that my life was what it should be, that everything would be OK. I thought about suicide as rationally as one can contemplate such an non-option.

So I quit. I quit my job, I quit my wife, I quit every wretched second of the life I had worked so hard to create, and now I'm living with the girl I took to my senior prom 13 years ago and never stopped thinking about, temping for a living, and I'm about to take a welding class. I've backtracked a great deal. God am I happy.

As for the what-ifs I haven't done, I sometimes wish I'd gone to sniper school when the Army offered it to me. But only in my darker moments, and I don't have nearly as many of those now as I used to.

It seems likely you mentioned this, but if so I don't recall, how long ago did this change in life occur?

Just finished reworking my resume... and I'm going to have one hell of a time explaining that the reason there's a large gap in my work history is because I didn't want to state that I'd worked as a psychic for a little over a year. :S

So put down something else, like "private consultant" or "personal & career consultation". Especially if you're certified with some particular organization. If you're not, consider putting down "Entertainer (psychic)". Lastly, simply put that you took the time off to pursue personal interests.

Good luck on the job hunt.

..snip..

And as John has pointed out more than once when depression still lurks in the depths of my mind, the hells I've been through have made me the woman he fell in love with. So I guess it's not all bad.

John's a smart man, and he's absolutley right. Listen to him.

Guest Skaramine

So put down something else, like "private consultant" or "personal & career consultation". Especially if you're certified with some particular organization. If you're not, consider putting down "Entertainer (psychic)". Lastly, simply put that you took the time off to pursue personal interests.

Good luck on the job hunt.

I was just going to mention that.

Luckily, I have lots of manuscripts that I turned in since I was canned, so I can say "I've been employed as a novelist."

And, IIRC, the very first rep I ever got was from you for my poem "Portrait of an Arsonist as a Young Woman" on the "NGD Poetry Thread" way back when!

I really do need to publish an anthology of my poetry... too bad poetry doesn't usually pay, but it'd still be nice. Maybe I'll do it on CafePress.com...

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Unemployment: Day Nine

I got the call that they want me to start training on Monday 24th. I guess this means I am no longer unemployed, technically. I just need to meet with my contractor on Tuesday to fill in some paperwork and then go get a drug test.

Now to see if I can actually enjoy the next week-and-a-half off.

Congrats!

Ok' date=' so Zornwill and Court Fool were exchanging pleasantries on a different thread, and I got to wondering: What happens when you give Court Fool rep? I looked, and all you can give him is positive rep. That got me thinking. I mean, if he likes his red dots, is giving him [i']any[/i] rep equivalent to giving him negative rep? If so, how has Ben reconciled it with his conscience that no one can ever give him what he would consider positive rep?

This makes my brain hurt. I'm going to work now...

I suspect that Court Fool has more Neg Rep than everyone else added up.