Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Chalkboards: Chalk dust is messy and, theoretically, harmful. In large doses.

Whiteboards: Dry erase pens are messy, expensive, dry out, give off harmful fumes, and stain anything they write on (including, sometimes, the whiteboard).

Progress!

I loathe whiteboards and the markers. The latter mostly because you can never tell if one is going to work until you actually try it, and throw it away if it doesn't work well enough. (I literally throw them across the room so I won't make the mistake of picking a bad one up again.)

As an undergrad my work-study job for a year and a half was doing the nightly observatory shows, which used the old 6-inch refractor when the weather was clear, and a slide show in the classroom downstairs when it wasn't. Lots fewer visitors when cloudy, but I had to be there. Now, the Campus Observatory was built in the late 1890s, and aside from one posterboard and five smallish (by today's standards) windows each on the east & west walls, the rest of the wall surfaces were all glorious old real dark-grey slate blackboards. Chalk on real 80-year-old slate has a much better feel than the cheap painted plywood chalkboards which are most of what you encounter. It was really a joy doing my quantum and E&M homework on the cloudy nights in that old classroom on boards so you could see everything you'd done at once.

Sometime in the 1990s they renovated that classroom (they had to, the old roof was leaking badly) and ripped out those old slate boards. I would have been on site and paid cash for one on the spot had I known. Sigh.

At least we've gotten away from the rood. From wikipedia: Rood is an English unit of area, equal to one quarter of an acre or 10,890 square feet (1,012 m2) or 0.10 hectares). A rectangular area with edges of one furlong (i.e. 10 chains, or 40 rods) and one rod respectively is one rood, as is an area consisting of 40 perches (square rods). The rood was an important measure in surveying on account of its easy conversion to acres. When referring to areas, rod is often found in old documents and has exactly the same meaning as rood.[1]

So you know how it hasn't rained in Vancouver in two freaking months

No, no you don't. There's enough weird weather around these days to go around. So just one question. How can it not rain when the humidity index is a million percent?

Ummm ... the worst day in Vancouver, Seattle, etc., is paradisical compared the typical conditions May through October anywhere in North America east of 100 degrees longitude and south of about 42 degrees latitude. We are all weather wimps up here.

It's like USers complaining about being too cold or too snowy.