Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Actually, you want to be slightly north of the equator, but yes, you can see both of those at the same time, given a clear horizon in both directions. While Polaris is within a degree of the north celestial pole, the Southern Cross isn't that close to the south celestial pole.

At the latitude of Manila (14 degrees north), in mid-April, around midnight local time, both Polaris and Crux are about 15 degrees above the horizon. It'll take clear conditions and better-than-average peripheral vision, and advantageous use of topography to lie down on the ground in the right position, but it ought to be possible to see both at the same moment.

How about at sea in the Pacific in a canoe?

I just finished Fire and Ice and early on the male lead is navigating by the stars and it describes him sighting both of those celestial landmarks (skymarks?)

I was smugly sure the author had made an error, but it seems I needed  a latitude adjustment.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary tells me that sometimes the difference between what I know and what I think I know is astronomical.

Last night I dreamed that I started a twitter account. And I worked in the comic book store again.

Two nights ago I dreamed I was trying to get the world to adopt the base-8 number system.

And tonight, I foresee ... selling an 85,000-word philosophy textbook manuscript to a publisher for $1.67 and when it actually appears in physical book form your name will be unrecognizably misspelled.

• 2 weeks later...

I really focus on drums lately when listening to music. I was reminded of one of my favorite drum performances on the radio last night, "Hold the Line" by Toto.

Billy Corgan used a drum machine in the early days of Smashing Pumpkins. Drums didn't really matter to him.In a world where many bands see the drums as a necessary evil, a simple beat keeping mechanism, some actually use it as a musical instrument to enhance the music.

Listen to the song and see what I mean. Also, listen to a good jazz trained drummer like Stewart Copeland or (early) Peter Criss and see how they make things really happen in rock music.

I think this means you want to hit people and have them make noise when you do so. Such aggression should be released somehow. Have you considered going postal?

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any reason this thread couldn't also be used for responses to the Non-Sequitor thread?

Lucius Alexander

Any thread is suitable for a palindromedary tagline, but not every palindromedary tagline is suitable for every thread.

Is there any reason this thread couldn't also be used for responses to the Non-Sequitor thread?

Lucius Alexander

Any thread is suitable for a palindromedary tagline, but not every palindromedary tagline is suitable for every thread.

I wouldn't have a problem with that.