Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

I'm very sorry to hear that. :(

Very sad. Young cat, no obvious signs of trauma. May have been poisoned.

No idea what to do with it--trash pickup was yesterday, and you can't take corpses to the transfer station, so technically I'm supposed to take it to the landfill thirty miles away. That's not gonna happen.

Just died under our hedge.  It's sad because it was born, or at least raised, in the back corner of our yard, and I remember him playing with his brother back there.  Then they disappeared for a year or so, and then only this one cat came back. 

I very strongly suspect it was poisoned--I had heard noises the night before that I didn't bother investigating but would have been consistent with a convulsing young cat under the hedge.  It wasn't starved or visibly injured.

Turns out the city contracts with a local yard maintenance company for disposal of animal corpses.  I forgot to ask them what they do with them.

One of the best things about the internet is that it can answer all those questions from way before it was a thing.  What was that one video game I saw that one time?  Oh, here it is on the internet arcade.  Who was that actress I saw in that show?  Oh, that's who it was.  Whatever happened to that other actor?  Oh, that's interesting.  Seriously there's all these annoying questions I've carried around for years, and now three minutes of googling and they're answered.

It's true, but it comes with the cost of learning (all too often) that those things are now gone forever. Mayor Art. Yum Yums. The maze in Happy Hollow. Spam-o-Rama. My Uncle Les. The garage of what was my grandparents' house in Santa Clara. Greasy Tony's. Old Camp Freedom, Germany.

Sigh.

I see the pun, but I want to borrow from Tim Hawkins for a moment:

"That's the worst? That's the worst? Do you think those Chilean miners would agree with that."

First Miner: "Here we are, compadres, amigos, brothers. Trapped in a mine, below the ground, out of food, water is low, our air is going stale. Truly, this is the worst."

Second Miner: "No, amigo, I disagree. It could be worse. We could be eating sausage with liver in it!"

Note: From work, I don't dare run this link and see if it's going to the right bit of his latest release, but I post it anyway because there's only 1 bit of his that flopped for me (Yoga Pants 2.0. The original was awesome!).

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D2WMrefP098o&ei=ySDiVJqYH8GRsQTBoIHgAw&usg=AFQjCNHdoaKW9LSv8JBaGl-tA2yzPlyL-w&bvm=bv.85970519,d.cWc

Obviously the exam I give today is really, really scary.  Three people got sick over the weekend and have asked to take it later.

... Obviously they were correct, too.  The only paper handed in before I called time came in 30 seconds before that call.

I was waking over a patient this evening, who was pretty sick but not too badly off. Now they call me from the ward to tell me the patient just passed away.

Death is never far away in this line of work Universe.

Fixed your typo.

• 2 weeks later...