Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

My wife does it, both my kids do it, and there are cousins I am aware of, not to mention many other friends. I just don't like the "whatever you post is ours forever" thing.

You don't have to post anything, also you can unfollow anyone you don't want to see their posts, but still be friends.

Where is the FB group? I too tend to only lurk on FB. The ownership issue doesn't bother me as much as the everything-you-post-is-readable-by-everyone aspect. But it'd be nice to keep up with everyone.

You can set a setting to restrict things you post to just people on your friends list if you like. I have another custom list for people here so I can post stuff and only have them see it.

• 2 weeks later...

By 1943 the Kirishima, laid down prior to WWI, was hopelessly underarmored in terms of both thickness and metallurgy.  She had just enough armor to guarantee that armor-piercing shells would detonate, without being able to resist penetration.  So when the Washington opened up on her at close range with 16" guns, she didn't really stand a chance.  The shells easily penetrated her armored belt, some below the waterline, detonating in critical areas.  By the second salvo she was already doomed.

I was told by a descendant of someone who had been in one of Washington's turrets in that engagement that one could see Kirishima down the barrel when they trained the guns before loading: there was very little elevation at that range.

Also, the British "Splendid Cats" battlecruisers, of which Beatty said "There is something wrong with our bloody ships today" at Jutland, shared many design features with the Kongo-class (of which Kirishima was one), coming from a British naval architect's design at more or less the same time. The later refit and reclassification as fast battleships could not make up for the shortcomings of the whole battlecruiser concept.