Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

My electric bill for this month is $250. For about 720 kilowatt hours of usage.

720 kilowatt hours conveniently works out to 24 kWh per day, or one kWh every hour. So my instantaneous energy consumption rate is one kilowatt.

At 110V that kilowatt is roughly equivalent to .009 coulombs per second. Over the course of the month, that's 389 coulombs, or 2.427 × 10^21 electrons.

Electrons weigh 9.10938188 × 10^-31 kilograms, so I'm getting 22.1 x 10^-10 kilos of electrons per month piped into the house. Which is about 780 x 10^-10 ounces of electrons.

So I'm paying $9,200,000,000 per ounce for electrons.

Since next quarter I'm teaching E&M for pre-meds, I may turn this into a couple of exam questions.

My electric bill for this month is $250.

So I'm paying $9,200,000,000 per ounce for electrons.

So for my technical writing final, I had to write a proposal. Mine was to replace the CRT Monitors (16) in the journalism lab with LCD or LED monitors to save money.

My research resulted in an answer I didn't like to be honest. Assuming the heating/air conditioning was a wash, the New Monitors (I went with slightly more expensive ones that were more adjustable for ergonomic reasons) would pay for themselves in 15 years. Which didn't really have the impact I wanted. But that's in Oregon. In Hawaii, where the energy costs are MUCH higher, it would pay for itself in 5.5 years.

Since next quarter I'm teaching E&M for pre-meds' date=' I may turn this into a couple of exam questions.[/quote']

Better check my math then. :) As it is, since it's AC there is no net electron flow. They're just jiggling the electrons back and forth. What a gyp!

So for my technical writing final, I had to write a proposal. Mine was to replace the CRT Monitors (16) in the journalism lab with LCD or LED monitors to save money.

My research resulted in an answer I didn't like to be honest. Assuming the heating/air conditioning was a wash, the New Monitors (I went with slightly more expensive ones that were more adjustable for ergonomic reasons) would pay for themselves in 15 years. Which didn't really have the impact I wanted. But that's in Oregon. In Hawaii, where the energy costs are MUCH higher, it would pay for itself in 5.5 years.

What are you paying for the LCD monitors? You can get pretty good ones for $200 apiece nowadays.

People from Glasgow are called "Glaswegians." But why? Why not "Glasgowians" or something like that? Where does the "-weg-" come from?

Probably for the same reason that people from Liverpool are called Liverpuddlians. Or even Scousers. People from Birmingham are called Brummies. People from Wales are Welsh.

People from Holland are Dutch.

Just go with it.

Probably for the same reason that people from Liverpool are called Liverpuddlians. Or even Scousers. People from Birmingham are called Brummies. People from Wales are Welsh.

Just go with it.

This way lies many, many ethnic jokes.

Just go with it.

Or people from Manchester are Mancunians.

JG