Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

I'm Sad. Today I went up the "home hill" for the very last time. For the last time I stood in my childhood bedroom, looked at the bathtub my Mother bathed me in, used the bathrooms in my old home. I looked at the familiar wall paper. I looked at the stickers from the 70s that still stick to the mirror in my Brother's room. I stood in my Parent's bedroom where I went when I was small and scared. My Parent's house is what I think of as home. On 7/20 they move out into a Condo. I also helped them move some stuff over today. It is a beautiful Condo and I think they'll be happy there.

I'm still sad though. Today I said goodbye to my childhood home.

I'm sorry. That's never an easy thing to do. :(

Of course, there are those of us who don't have a single place they think of as a childhood home. I never lived anywhere more than three years at a stretch until I went off to grad school. Instead, I have eight or so places I remember well enough to be able to find now (plus at least three more my memories are too vague to have anything more than a town name) for various stages of life. Of those eight, I've only been back to three (two of those three are in the same town) since I moved out of each, and never inside any of them. One of the delightful things about the Web is that if I go looking for them I can find images of some of them, though in a couple of cases I haven't been successful, because the streets got renamed and numbered in one place, and last I heard another place was supposed to be torn down to make expensive townhouses. At least two of the schools I attended no longer exist, and one of the others is on the list of worst schools in the state of California.

I need to post pics of Fluff Butt. When we adopted him, he was the smallest of the litter. And he's going to grow into a monster. He is an average-size cat now, at about 1 year of age, but his feet are still too big.

I'm sad that the American women lost the World Cup final. Heartbreaking. But to be honest' date=' I was rooting for the Japanese to win. I really think they needed it more.[/quote']

Japan: Suffered worst tsunami in decades which led to the potential meltdown of their main nuclear plants. Hundreds dead, thousands homeless.

America: Has a Republican Congress.

Hard to say.

Japan: Suffered worst tsunami in decades which led to the potential meltdown of their main nuclear plants. Hundreds dead' date=' thousands homeless.[/quote']

The official death toll is up around 18,000 so far; the homeless total is in the hundreds of thousands. For a country 1/3 the population of the U.S.

I agree that the teabagger congress is also an epic disaster, though.

I'm sad that the American women lost the World Cup final. Heartbreaking. But to be honest' date=' I was rooting for the Japanese to win. I really think they needed it more.[/quote']

Because I am too cheap to pay for cable but I do get a UPN (Spanish) station for free over the rabbit ears at home, I watched the Brazil-Paraguay match that ran in almost exact same time slot, and also went to a shootout at the end (though no goals were scored in regular or extra time). Three of the four Brazilians didn't put their shot on net: two went over, one went wide. The Paraguayan keeper stopped the other one. By that time Paraguay had netted two of their kicks and we were put out of their misery.

It's funny because ordinarily I can't stand to watch soccer on TV. It's just too slow, and it's too much time to spend waiting for the like three times someone actually scores. But I caught the last half of overtime (in which Japan scored) and the penalty kicks, and it was gripping.

Also, the U.S. goalie is hot.

The phone on my office desk has a manufacture date of 1996. Windows 95 was state of the art' date=' and many people used pagers instead of cell phones.[/quote']

I would of thought you had one of the first prototypes with the little crank on it.

It's funny because ordinarily I can't stand to watch soccer on TV. It's just too slow, and it's too much time to spend waiting for the like three times someone actually scores. But I caught the last half of overtime (in which Japan scored) and the penalty kicks, and it was gripping.

Also, the U.S. goalie is hot.

Our girls beat the French for the bronze. Very beautiful goals.