Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

So my uncle is dying. This is the second uncle (different branch of the family tree) that is dying this year. He's nearly 70, and when my father killed someone in a car accident Dave went into attack mode to defend him from himself (hired a lawyer, convinced him to plea bargain). Of the 5 boys, he's the only one who stayed married to his first wife. And for all the pent up anger I hold for that side of my family (rightly so or no) I am really kind of shocked and upset.

I'm kind of rambling now...to be a tad cryptic...

The weird thing is that what I have just learned has me fearing that someone else close to me has been lying to me now for a while and I'm not really sure what the implications of this will be. It could be a coincidence and I know my imagination runs away with me - but I have a strange feeling of dread/excitement twinging my sadness. Tonight's going to be weird.

so yeah. I can't really do anything and that side of my family is notoriously secretive about bad things, no one really knows what's going on. I stay out of the loop by choice usually. But I had to email my cousins to send them my condolences and I'm sending something to my uncle tonight.

Hope it all turns out alright. Family issues can be bad. :(

So my uncle is dying. This is the second uncle (different branch of the family tree) that is dying this year. He's nearly 70, and when my father killed someone in a car accident Dave went into attack mode to defend him from himself (hired a lawyer, convinced him to plea bargain). Of the 5 boys, he's the only one who stayed married to his first wife. And for all the pent up anger I hold for that side of my family (rightly so or no) I am really kind of shocked and upset.

The weird thing is that what I have just learned has me fearing that someone else close to me has been lying to me now for a while and I'm not really sure what the implications of this will be. It could be a coincidence and I know my imagination runs away with me - but I have a strange feeling of dread/excitement twinging my sadness. Tonight's going to be weird.

so yeah. I can't really do anything and that side of my family is notoriously secretive about bad things, no one really knows what's going on. I stay out of the loop by choice usually. But I had to email my cousins to send them my condolences and I'm sending something to my uncle tonight.

I'm not sure we know each other well enough for my sympathy to be meaningful to you, but you have it. I'm sorry for what you're going through.

If you've been estranged form this uncle, it's probably worth the effort to attempt to reconcile; for your own sake, so you regret nothing. No doubt you've already heard this. I'm glad I made an effort during my father's final illness to reach out to him, and we were at least at peace even if I realized we could never be close.

But finding out someone close to you is lying to you - in my experience, that's even worse than dealing with terminal illness in the family. In my opinion, the important thing is, until you are resolved in your own mind what's really going on and if they are telling the truth as they know or see it or not, just don't trust them. Everything they say, think "this could be either true or false; I don't know yet" and don't rely on them to relay messages, to keep confidences, or to act in your best interest.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary reflects that this is a sore subject for Lucius who will always regret having trusted the wrong people

The only way to find out if someone is trustworthy is to trust them.

yeah. It's a rather difficult thing to do.

Not for me, I'm an idiot for it, but for this person in particular. There is a good chance it's all a very odd and tragic coincidence.

Sorry to hear that, Chad. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and to you.

At the end of the day, even as we work together on common goals and share many (but not all) values, we go home to SEPARATE houses. We don't tell you how to put your house in order. And I noticed you reacted badly when - as parody - I outline my policy for your house. Which means I made my point. What planet are you living on where friendship isn't founded on reciprocation?

Well, there's one way for the friendship to be reciprocal: Don't accept money for home maintenance and you won't have conditions attached to it. Fortunately in this case the people providing the home maintenance really aren't requiring any conditions. On the other hand such a relationship isn't really reciprocal.

JG

I saw someone on FB say they thought it would be neat to be in a tornado. Idjit!

IF you want to know what it is like in a tornado: Stand in the middle of a wind tunnel witht he fan cranked to 150 to 200mph winds. have someone spray a garden hose of water into the fan so it blows on you while other people toss broken glass, rocks, and broken lumber into the fan as well.

You are misremembering. I'm on the other side of the state. But thanks for thinking of me.

Cape Girardeau

Joplin

So in order to get you, you'd Meet Me in St Louis ?

or would I go north after Walking in Memphis ?

or should I 'Take the Last Train to Clarksville and you'll meet me in the station '?

You are misremembering. I'm on the other side of the state. But thanks for thinking of me.

Cape Girardeau

Joplin

OK. I remembered south, hard against a border, but I got east-west reversed. Good that you weren't in that carnage.

I saw someone on FB say they thought it would be neat to be in a tornado. Idjit!

IF you want to know what it is like in a tornado: Stand in the middle of a wind tunnel witht he fan cranked to 150 to 200mph winds. have someone spray a garden hose of water into the fan so it blows on you while other people toss broken glass, rocks, and broken lumber into the fan as well.

Rain hurts bad enough at 40mph. But I' date=' too, think it would be "neat" to be in a tornado, for however many seconds it took before something hard hits you. You know, like the ground.[/quote']

I have seen a bit of tornado once, in 1980 in Austin. Hurricane Allen spawned a tornado that ripped up the north side of the old airport.

I and my roommate were watching a football game on TV when the little "beep-beep-beep" came over and the information slider across the bottom of the screen said "There is a tornado on the ground moving west on 51st Street." Now, while 51st St is quite long, we happened to live at the west end of it, where it T-junctions into another major thoroughfare. So ... we were ... interested.

Being idiots not from that part of the country, and who had never been through a tornado drill in our lives (I was a West Coast boy, and my roommate was from Massachusetts), we went out to the parking lot to see what we could see. There we joined 15-20 other non-local idiots and watched the tip of the funnel retreat back up through the cloud deck. I think we watched it for no more than 30 seconds.

There was a lot of debris floating up there, and one of the other idiots said, "Hey, that's one of them freeway signs," by which he meant one of those span-all-four-northbound-lanes-of-Interstate-35 lane direction signs, and that indeed was what it was, fluttering around up there like a leaf.

It only took a few seconds for that to sink in, and more or less all us non-local idiots went back inside and took cover.