Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Darbor,

If that one was about Attila the Hun, it could be Kirsty Mitchell. I did a search on IMDB and Honoria gave me that.

Thanks dt but it's not who I'm looking for. Mitchell was in a made-for-TV movie called Attila with Gerard Butler as Attila. It is not the same as the History Channel show.

Added: I found the show on YouTube so at least you can feast your eyes on her. Her first scene starts at 4:58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdSF9JGR9ec

Is it possible for cats to be in heat after they're fixed?

It's possible. I've run into it a few times (out of several thousand). Generally caused by leftover ovarian tissue that is still secreting the hormones.

Unfortunately, it requires another surgery.

Now there was the case where an adopter of a cat during katrina wound up with kittens. Apparently the Vet hadn't spayed the cat. Did charge us though...

Thanks dt but it's not who I'm looking for. Mitchell was in a made-for-TV movie called Attila with Gerard Butler as Attila. It is not the same as the History Channel show.

Added: I found the show on YouTube so at least you can feast your eyes on her. Her first scene starts at 4:58

Not bad. They only gave part of her name - Justa Grata Honoria. And a quick scan of Wikipedia (yeah, I know not to use it as a source ;P) casts different lights on the events in the video.

I've also noticed this about many History Channel shows - they seem to easily forego giving credit to all the people that a 'regular' movie or TV show would.

IMDB entry: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1209452/combined

Answers.com entry: http://www.answers.com/topic/barbarians-part-1-the-huns

History Channel Store: http://shop.history.com/detail.php?p=180926&v=history&ecid=PRF-2104022&pa=PRF-2104022

Wikipedia entry for Justa Grata Honoria: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justa_Grata_Honoria

Maybe a search of the History Channel forums might yield a clue?

Completely missed her, and watched from 4:41 to the rest of the clip.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/02/windows-phone-marketplace-bans-the-gpl-and-the-app-store-should-too.ars

GPL is, simply put, a legal plague. Once it is in place in a piece of software, it must be in place in all derived software. I will not use it and I applaud Microsoft for putting at least one block in its spread.

My source code is my own; I'll make it open or not as I like, not as the GPL foundation demands.

LOL

So you want to be able to take someone else's source code, alter it and then call it proprietary?

No; I'd rather pay or use a truly free library than one which demands I use their license for my product.

Edit: And yes, it wouldn't be entirely my product. That's what's normally called "value-added" and what's normally allowed to be charged for, under *Reasonable* open-source. GPL is not reasonable. It's viral.

Different definition of free. Not free beer, free code, code that can run with the wind.

Value added is fine, and you can buy & sell things with the gpl. But what you are asking for is not free code. You want it free to you but then you control it. Kind of like someone charging for rainwater.

Different definition of free. Not free beer, free code, code that can run with the wind.

Value added is fine, and you can buy & sell things with the gpl. But what you are asking for is not free code. You want it free to you but then you control it. Kind of like someone charging for rainwater.

Look, if I spend say, months or years on code, it should be *My Choice* whether I release that code to the public. Not someone else's choice.

Quite putting words in my mouth and arguing against a strawman. I have two issues. One I posted right there. The other is that GPL is viral. Argue them.

Edit: Somewhat harsh, but I never said that I wanted to "control it" but that I "want it free". I control my code; they control their code. That's all I said. I'm rather fond of using the MIT license, myself.

How else would you encounter the gpl if you didn't use code that already had the license? What strawman am I constructing? I'm just confused.

I don't think it's viral. I think it was meant to keep the code alive and free of constraints.

How else would you encounter the gpl if you didn't use code that already had the license? What strawman am I constructing? I'm just confused.

I don't think it's viral. I think it was meant to keep the code alive and free of constraints.

I read it out of curiosity. Yes, the entire thing. (v2.X)

If I use so much as a single line of code under the GPL, my entire project has to be under the GPL. That is viral; it spreads. So, I won't use it and I'd encourage others not to, either.

I apologize; we seem to have been operating under misunderstandings.

I read it out of curiosity. Yes, the entire thing. (v2.X)

If I use so much as a single line of code under the GPL, my entire project has to be under the GPL. That is viral; it spreads. So, I won't use it and I'd encourage others not to, either.

I apologize; we seem to have been operating under misunderstandings.

Fair enough.

And I knew that. It's the one part of LINUX I actually thought was totally cool. But it also leads to the things in LINUX I dislike - namely the sprawl.

And I probably shouldn't have started the discussion with derisive laughter so I apologize for that.

I certainly don't blame you (or anyone else) who wants their code to be proprietary. But I think the GPL is pretty awesome and is what will enable UNIX based languages to continue to thrive. Now if they could just come up with some wireless nic card drivers for me I'd be orgasmic.

The GPL is indeed somewhat viral, but I feel compelled to point out that it wouldn't work any other way. Without the "viral" clause, you could take GPL code, change a variable name, and privatize it. Which is precisely what the authors of the GPL wanted to prevent.

Fair enough.

And I knew that. It's the one part of LINUX I actually thought was totally cool. But it also leads to the things in LINUX I dislike - namely the sprawl.

And I probably shouldn't have started the discussion with derisive laughter so I apologize for that.

I certainly don't blame you (or anyone else) who wants their code to be proprietary. But I think the GPL is pretty awesome and is what will enable UNIX based languages to continue to thrive. Now if they could just come up with some wireless nic card drivers for me I'd be orgasmic.

I do agree that open-source licenses need some teeth - The LGPL, for example, I have no complaints about, although I haven't made as much of a study about it. And protection of small competitors is an important part of a thriving economy and society. The part of the GPL I object to is, to my perceptions, it goes beyond protection in its (in my view) viral nature.

OTOH, it certainly isn't right for a proprietary company to grab some free software, fiddle with the code a bit, slap a new GUI on it and then start selling it with greater advertising and market penetration than a few-man shop could hope for.

But I do think, or at least hope, that requiring substantial added functionality would deal with that sufficiently. Not perfectly; anyone who promises complete safety is lying or lied to. But sufficient.

There is a rising public awareness of open software, at least, but some TV ads probably wouldn't go amiss. :)

And lastly, some folks in open software need to learn that no, not everybody knows how or wants to bother with compiling their code to get a final product - No binaries and I, as a programmer, am likely to pass it up, simply because I spend enough time trying to get the bugs out of my own code without trying to get the bugs out of theirs so it'll compile so I can use it to do something that someone else's program does - And that someone else provides binaries. Shiney, tasty binaries. More seriously and concisely, although they've gotten a lot better about it recently, ease of use is still something free software needs to work on. "It just works" trumps a large number of fancy innovations, however much that's a painful truth to the experimental side of a programmer.

Oh indeed, I tried programming and ...well I prefer the next level up towards end user. I don't mind at all learning how things work but I'm not a designer, and I make only a quasi-competent coder.

However, I can follow directions and set up a router or two, I know office programs pretty well and I hope to make a good living in IT.

That said, I like the idea of Linux more than I've liked the actual using it so far, but if I had to, I could adapt.

They fight about the Freemasons in the Decoded forum.

I watched two episodes of Decoded because I was home due to snow, and thought it may be a good source of conspiracy theories. It was so bad, it was physically painful to watch. I think I will find other ways to discover conspiracy theories.

Oh indeed, I tried programming and ...well I prefer the next level up towards end user. I don't mind at all learning how things work but I'm not a designer, and I make only a quasi-competent coder.

However, I can follow directions and set up a router or two, I know office programs pretty well and I hope to make a good living in IT.

That said, I like the idea of Linux more than I've liked the actual using it so far, but if I had to, I could adapt.

I like the idea of Linux myself, but like you, I find the actual use of it lacking. Even with the new focus on GUI, it's still not user-friendly. Some would argue that means "looks like Windows", but Windows is the way it is in part because people find that layout user-friendly. It's intuitive; stuff on my hard drives in my computer is there in My Computer on my Drives. I don't have to go looking through an obscurely-named folder hierarchy.

That, and the lack of games.

I watched two episodes of Decoded because I was home due to snow' date=' and thought it may be a good source of conspiracy theories. It was so bad, it was physically painful to watch. I think I will find other ways to discover conspiracy theories.[/quote']

There's always the Jesse Ventura series. But, yeah, you can pretty much find conspiracy theories almost anywhere in the web. Even YouTube has a bunch of them.

There's always the Jesse Ventura series. But' date=' yeah, you can pretty much find conspiracy theories almost anywhere in the web.[/quote']

You can probably find a new conspiracy theory right on this page.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says, what's this about a GNU conspiracy?

I watched two episodes of Decoded because I was home due to snow' date=' and thought it may be a good source of conspiracy theories. It was so bad, it was physically painful to watch. I think I will find other ways to discover conspiracy theories.[/quote']

Like YouTube! :snicker::)

Rats! Scooped by TKD.