Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

So we recently learned that my wife's 17 year old niece has become engaged.

(snip)

Now she's asking us if we want to come to the wedding, and my knee-jerk reaction is, "What, so I can have front-row seats to the beginning of the train wreck?"

(snip)

if she drops out and gets knocked up by some redneck punk who claims to love her... nope. We'll give the money to some worthy cause. :no:

She only gets married for the first time once. I say go to the wedding and give her some appropriate amount of money, not necessarily what you had planned to, just something. You won't have to do either at any of her other weddings. :D

There's been a lot of talk in the news lately about Berlusconi's "bunga-bunga" parties. According to John Stewart' date=' [i']bunga-bunga[/i] is an adjective, but I keep wondering if it's actually a verb....

It's Italian for.... "bunga-bunga."

JG

This is supposedly the woman who spoke out: Karima El Mahroug

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38021[/ATTACH]

This woman is also connected to Berlusconi: Sara Tommasi

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38023[/ATTACH]

And Nicole Minetti

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38020[/ATTACH]

I will say he has good tastes! :love:

Earlier tonight' date=' I was cut off from the boards. Every time I tried to come back, the server said the site wasn't available. Did anyone else have that problem?[/quote']

Yes, I had the same problem.

I'm surprised there seems to be no place on these forums to talk about issues or questions with the forums themselves.

Earlier tonight' date=' I was cut off from the boards. Every time I tried to come back, the server said the site wasn't available. Did anyone else have that problem?[/quote']

Yes, I had the same problem.

I'm surprised there seems to be no place on these forums to talk about issues or questions with the forums themselves.

I suspect everyone did, since I did too.

Lucius Alexander

It wasn't the palindromedary's fault, this time.

I love "Roseanne Rosannadanna" humor - when I pretend to completely and utterly miss the point of something for the sake of a joke.

Like, oh, the time someone started a thread about "Nationalizing GM" meaning the US Government would take over General Motors, and I posted an angry rant about the government taking over our Game Masters. Anyone who's been around a while can probably name a dozen such examples on my part.

I am not sure if my affinity for that kind of humor has anything to do with the fact that, sometimes, I really DO completely fail to understand something. Sometimes I'm playing dumb, and sometimes, well....I'm not playing.

Sometimes I wonder how well other people can tell the difference.

It's on my mind right now because I've realized that someone else around here seems to "miss the point" even more regularly than I do, and it's usually NOT funny. Oddly, it's someone who's also obviously not stupid nor uneducated - like me. (at least I hope it's obvious I'm not stupid or uneducated.)

It's also possible they're faking it, but not to entertain - not to entertain anyone else, anyway.

While I'm randomly musing, I wonder how often I think I've understood something and never really did.

Lucius Alexander

I don't expect anyone to get the point of the palindromedary, and that's okay

Like you, I sometimes do it on purpose and sometimes without knowing it. The times I do it by accident are often funnier than when I do it on purpose. I think I learned over the years that it could be funny and so I came to recognize times I could use it to be funny on purpose.

Are you going to put up a poll for us to vote on who this person is? :nya:

Like you, I sometimes do it on purpose and sometimes without knowing it. The times I do it by accident are often funnier than when I do it on purpose. I think I learned over the years that it could be funny and so I came to recognize times I could use it to be funny on purpose.

Are you going to put up a poll for us to vote on who this person is? :nya:

Absolutely not. Just going to note that if you think it's you, you're almost certainly wrong.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary is convinced I mean someone else.

It happened before the internet. Civil War buffs would scoff at you if you used thread similar to that of 1862 to attach buttons from 1863.

That's actually pretty tame compared to my experience with historical discussions on the internet. There's the obvious controversies like Hiroshima and the Civil War and Vietnam, but there's also an awful lot of holocaust denial, revisionist history, conspiracy theories and other extreme violent wackiness out there.

While I've seen a few arguments over historical accuracy in the History Channel forums, I see a lot more complaints about some of the shows themselves. There are complaints about the hosts of a show, or when the original hosts leave. People talk trash about contestants in Top Shot or the folks in Pawn Stars. They fight about the Freemasons in the Decoded forum. Then the creationists rant in The Universe section. It's little wonder some of the people in those shows who post in those forums leave eventually.