Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

See? That's my point exactly. Is it really necessary to be that connected all the time? We got along just fine without all that. Sure' date=' all this stuff makes a lot of things easier, but we don't need to use it every waking hour. There's more more to life than all this.[/quote']

Its not really a matter of being connected all the time, its actually nice. This weekend I was meeting a friend at a park, he called me just as I arrived to let me know we were meeting somewhere else. Without cellphones I would have been sitting there in the cold until he drove to the park, and then both of us would have had to drive to the second location. My main complaint is with people learning to use the constant connectedness in a polite way. We are still in the infancy of it and there is some trial and error.

Its not really a matter of being connected all the time' date=' its actually nice. This weekend I was meeting a friend at a park, he called me just as I arrived to let me know we were meeting somewhere else. Without cellphones I would have been sitting there in the cold until he drove to the park, and then both of us would have had to drive to the second location. My main complaint is with people learning to use the constant connectedness in a polite way. We are still in the infancy of it and there is some trial and error.[/quote']

It is indeed convenient, and don't think I don't appreciate having that convenience. That said, there are times I don't want to be reached, so I turn my phone off. I keep it off when I'm working or exercising.

I agree wholeheartedly on people having to learn how to use it politely. I tell my students to turn off their phones during class. And they get in trouble if I catch them texting. It's a constant battle.

In response to Bazza's point I say this.

What is the point of having great Technical Bids if the organisation ignores that for other factors ? Why jump through all the hoops doing that if as it appears it is for nothing ?

Granted the England bid was scuppered by the loss of an unpopular chairman in what appears to have been a fixed scandal anyway but I don't see how that affects Australia.

Seventeen years ago my wife's mother called us the day before Thanksgiving to tell us she had cancer. This year' date=' the day before Thanksgiving, my wife had her mammogram redone to find out, the spot needed to be biopsied. We just got the results from the doctor and it's cancer. Still looks to be early, and we'll be consulting with the surgeon next week, with surgery on the 21st.[/quote']

Gah. Good luck, man. Breast cancer can be beaten, and the odds are much better than for some others. This is the link for the best statistics you can get now, short of rolling your own from the raw data, applying selections for further criteria which you won't know until after the biopsy results come back.

Gah. Good luck' date=' man. Breast cancer can be beaten, and the odds are much better than for some others. This is the link for the best statistics you can get now, short of rolling your own from the raw data, applying selections for further criteria which you won't know until after the biopsy results come back.

Thanks. I won't be looking too much at data for a bit until after the surgery. From what I've looked at, she's got good odds since it does seem to be early. They'll be taking some lymph node samples while they are in, so we'll know more right before and after Christmas if the surgery happens on the 21st.

Thanks. I won't be looking too much at data for a bit until after the surgery. From what I've looked at' date=' she's got good odds since it does seem to be early. They'll be taking some lymph node samples while they are in, so we'll know more right before and after Christmas if the surgery happens on the 21st.[/quote']

That they caught it early is a good sign. Hopefully, all goes as well as it can. :) Still, not the kind of news one wants to hear. :(

Thanks. I won't be looking too much at data for a bit until after the surgery. From what I've looked at' date=' she's got good odds since it does seem to be early. They'll be taking some lymph node samples while they are in, so we'll know more right before and after Christmas if the surgery happens on the 21st.[/quote']

Wow. At this distance about the best I can offer is my sympathy and well wishes, which you and your wife have in abundance.

If there is anything I can do, let me know.

Best of luck. You guys have my prayers and best wishes.

In response to Bazza's point I say this.

What is the point of having great Technical Bids if the organisation ignores that for other factors ? Why jump through all the hoops doing that if as it appears it is for nothing ?

Granted the England bid was scuppered by the loss of an unpopular chairman in what appears to have been a fixed scandal anyway but I don't see how that affects Australia.

Apparently there was a concerted effort to not vote for both England & Australia.

Seventeen years ago my wife's mother called us the day before Thanksgiving to tell us she had cancer. This year' date=' the day before Thanksgiving, my wife had her mammogram redone to find out, the spot needed to be biopsied. We just got the results from the doctor and it's cancer. Still looks to be early, and we'll be consulting with the surgeon next week, with surgery on the 21st.[/quote']

Wow, I can't imagine what effect hearing the 'C' word does to a person. My wishes are for a good surgery and to be 'C'-free from then on.