Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

I hate the modern necktie. It is uncomfortable, ugly, and generally in the way. And yet one is often looked down upon for NOT wearing one.

The bow tie is amusing. Whimsical, even. But so few people can carry one off these days.

So why did the cravat go out of style? Of all the neck ties one can wear, it is the most comfortable, stylish, and assertive of one's individuality. And it is equally casual or formal, depending on how it is tied. We need to bring back the cravat.

Jabots, of course, are just plain silly.

Doc

Ties were banned at my last place of employment. They are discouraged at my current place of employment, unless visiting an uptight east coast customer.

Honestly, I can't even tie a necktie. I've tried.

Cravats are neat, but you can't take off your jacket and leave the cravat on, it'd look silly. As opposed of course to jabots which look silly 24/7 unless you are also wearing a powdered wig and are on the grounds at the Ren Faire.

I can tie a tie, but takes me several attempts at it when trying to get the lengths of the ends right. Of course, it's been years since I've drawn on that skill, and it's usually been because of weddings and funerals during that time.

I don't know how to tie a Tie' date=' but if I'd had Sons, I probably would know.[/quote']

Don't count on it. The number of men I know that have their wives tie it for them is quite high.

I had to wear a tie when I worked at the Olive Garden, and it's the only time I liked doing so. They allowed novelty ties, so I started building quite a collection for a while there.

My dad wore a uniform at work for most of my formative years, so I learned from him. My wife is impressed that I can still tie one (and I do a double Windsor). I don't think either of my kids has ever seen me tie one, though they have seen me wear one.

I have to say if your world view makes you feel that you need to redefine everything to fit it, a) it's probably not that sound and B) the idea of calling yourself "conservative" is suddenly ironic.

anyway for your perusal...

http://www.conservapedia.com/Conservative_Bible_Project

Ick. :idjit:

I may be conservative, but I am (apparently) a rare type -- I am not religious at all.

Why is it that the Über-religious (apparently) get to define "conservatism" as "conservative *and* religious", like they are inseparable?

why does anyone need to wear a tie...I certainly don't. :P

Generally either due to job requirements or social requirements. I haven't worked a job that required a tie in many, many years. Though I have worn one for social occasions in the last few years. For me the key to wearing a tie is making sure that my shirt has a large enough collar. This isn't terribly easy, as I have an 18 1/2 inch neck.

Generally either due to job requirements or social requirements. I haven't worked a job that required a tie in many' date=' many years. Though I have worn one for social occasions in the last few years. For me the key to wearing a tie is making sure that my shirt has a large enough collar. This isn't terribly easy, as I have an 18 1/2 inch neck.[/quote']

...Well, with all that hair...