Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Its a matter of degree. There is fantasy with verisimilitude. Something that gives you suspension of disbelief. And there is silly as hell. Trek has grown into silly as hell.

That's not true!

It's always been silly as hell. :D

So should Trek be replaced be with something more truthfulness? (or if you prefer 'truthiness'? :) )

or is trek a science fable/fairy tale set in space?

Trek isn't any sillier than it was when it started out' date=' it's just written much worse. Constantly resorting to treknobabble deus ex machina to resolve central plot conflicts is only the worst offense.[/quote']

Its also a question of magnitude. Origially it was a working formula. After 42 years the formula of finding a new race and inhabitable world every week while not actually expanding because you are surrounded by other powers is a bit... bloated. Add in an ability to keep it all straight and... well, its a disaster zone. And yes, TNG-VOY had huge tech-based solutions to what should have been human dramas every week.

So should Trek be replaced be with something more truthfulness? (or if you prefer 'truthiness'? :) )

or is trek a science fable/fairy tale set in space?

Its definately space opera.

I'm not big on franchises. Franchises aren't about the product, they're about the profits. That makes some financial sense, but the shows tend to suffer from it. Trek had a great premise and can be a vehicle for good stories and interesting themes, and has some cool chrome sitting on top of it, but the bloat-canon combined with no attempt whatsoever to have it make any sense has passed beyond my threshold.

I would like to see an "essential trek." Distill it down to its key elements, mash it into something that looks like a real star chart, add on a veneer of hard-science nodding lip service, and get back to it. The movie and TNG era turned the federation into a bloated bureaucracy with more member races and worlds than it actually has space for smashed between a bunch of powers that keep it from going anywhere.

To boldly be sedentary! Woo-hoo.

Its a good concept that needs a flensing of creative blubber.

Jettison the chaff.

Trek isn't any sillier than it was when it started out' date=' it's just written much worse. Constantly resorting to treknobabble deus ex machina to resolve central plot conflicts is only the worst offense.[/quote']

Just in case you hadn't noticed this when it posted before...

Voltaire did a song about this exact issue, on his Banned on Vulcan album.

Lyrics NSFW

Nope' date=' Galaxy Quest was in 1999 (!). It is Long's earliest acting credit on IMDB.[/quote']

And he's been real busy lately:

1. Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakuel (2009) (pre-production) (voice) .... Alvin
  2. Planet 51 (2009) (filming) (voice) .... Lem
  3. Alpha and Omega (2010) (post-production) .... Humphrey
  4. Drag Me to Hell (2009) (post-production) .... Clay
  5. Youth in Revolt (2009) (post-production) .... Paul Saunders
  6. Patriotville (2009) (post-production) .... Chase Revere
  7. After.Life (2009) (post-production) (rumored) .... Paul
  8. Serious Moonlight (2009) (post-production) .... Todd
  9. He's Just Not That Into You (2009) (completed) .... Alex
  10. Still Waiting... (2009) (completed) .... Dean

No' date=' is [i']historical documents[/i].

galaxy_quest_3.jpg

I know that Galaxy Quest got the name "Thermians" from some old B movie from the fifties that I saw on Mystery Science Theatre one time.

But I couldn't remember the name of the movie if the palindromedary's life depended on it. :(

Lucius Alexander

The dead palindromedary is a kind of sandy brown color, and has four legs and two heads at opposite ends of the body. It smells like any other carrion and the only sound it emits is the buzzing of flies.

I know that Galaxy Quest got the name "Thermians" from some old B movie from the fifties that I saw on Mystery Science Theatre one time.

But I couldn't remember the name of the movie if the palindromedary's life depended on it. :(

Lucius Alexander

The dead palindromedary is a kind of sandy brown color, and has four legs and two heads at opposite ends of the body. It smells like any other carrion and the only sound it emits is the buzzing of flies.

bzz bzzz

Gems like this are why I love the internet.

"When I explained "zero" to my 3-year old, he told me "Before I was zero years old, I was invisible. I was everywhere. Then I came here and turned pink so you and mommy could find me. When I'm 100 years old I'll turn invisible again. When I am infinity [his favorite word & concept from the Buzz-Lightyear movie] years old the sun will be gone, but I will make a new sun."

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary is another reason

I've never said this to anyone before, but I want to spend time with your kid.

I've never said this to anyone before' date=' but I want to spend time with your kid.[/quote']

Unfortunately, it's not my kid. It's from an anonymous comment on a website so I can't even prove it was ANYBODY's kid. For all I know, that person has no children and made the whole thing up.

However, I'd like to think it was a child, and I'd like to spend time with them too.

Lucius Alexander

And introduce them to a palindromedary