Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

The University of Missouri-St. Louis uses the initials UMSL' date=' not a big deal, excpet when they hang two banners next to each other so all I see is umSLUMsl.[/quote']

We just rolled out a new Health benefits program at work. It offer us STD.

(Short Term Disability)

Congradulenses?

Well, for my nephew at any rate. Hawaii isn't a bad posting, from what I'm told. And if I'm thinking of the correct young lady, she's a fine woman.

And I'm not so sure my sister (his mother) will mind so much not having to spring for a lavish wedding.

It's been a really, really long time since I've been prescribed it, is all. It's been so long that the last time it was prescribed to me, it tasted like bubble gum and was pink. Who knew actual penicillin had a flavor, and not a pleasant one?

I haven't the slightest what bug they think they're killing with it, but it's been quite effective at throwing my whole system off. I require yogurt.

It's been a really, really long time since I've been prescribed it, is all. It's been so long that the last time it was prescribed to me, it tasted like bubble gum and was pink. Who knew actual penicillin had a flavor, and not a pleasant one?

I haven't the slightest what bug they think they're killing with it, but it's been quite effective at throwing my whole system off. I require yogurt.

I generally do my best to not let pills stay in my mouth long enough to determine if they have a flavour or not. ;)

I try not to, but lately I've been forgetting where I put that glass of water a lot.

The nurse at the hospital warned me that "this medication will make you dumb" when she handed me the script for the muscle relaxant. I just laughed, because the distraction and tiredness of being in pain for an extended period of time does the same thing to me.

She was not kidding.

I try not to, but lately I've been forgetting where I put that glass of water a lot.

The nurse at the hospital warned me that "this medication will make you dumb" when she handed me the script for the muscle relaxant. I just laughed, because the distraction and tiredness of being in pain for an extended period of time does the same thing to me.

She was not kidding.

Muscle relaxants tend to be pretty potent things. Though I've only personally taken any once. I was in pain for around 4 hours, starting an hour or so after I took it. Pissed my back right off. Which, as messed up as my back is, shouldn't have surprised me...

Muscle relaxants tend to be pretty potent things. Though I've only personally taken any once. I was in pain for around 4 hours' date=' starting an hour or so after I took it. Pissed my back right off. Which, as messed up as my back is, shouldn't have surprised me...[/quote']

Well, it did wonders for the headachy part of the pain. The rest of the pain was taken care of by the fact that I was unconscious 20 minutes after popping a hydrocodone.

Apparently it works on the Dramamine Principle: you can't feel it if you're passed out!

This is, alternately, sometimes called the NyQuil Effect.

Well, it did wonders for the headachy part of the pain. The rest of the pain was taken care of by the fact that I was unconscious 20 minutes after popping a hydrocodone.

Apparently it works on the Dramamine Principle: you can't feel it if you're passed out!

This is, alternately, sometimes called the NyQuil Effect.

In general opiates don't actually stop the pain. They just make it so that you don't care. :drink:

In general opiates don't actually stop the pain. They just make it so that you don't care. :drink:

In that case, it worked beautifully. When I came to the ER, I was fretting about cost and worried about what might be causing the pain, and that I was wasting Josh's New Year's Day waiting in an ER waiting room.

When we left, after I'd been medicated, I was giggling about the funny noise the lights made.

In that case, it worked beautifully. When I came to the ER, I was fretting about cost and worried about what might be causing the pain, and that I was wasting Josh's New Year's Day waiting in an ER waiting room.

When we left, after I'd been medicated, I was giggling about the funny noise the lights made.

Yup, opiates at work. :thumbup:

Hope the reason for the ER visit wasn't too severe.

Yup, opiates at work. :thumbup:

Hope the reason for the ER visit wasn't too severe.

I needed something for the pain, and I was hoping for a non-dental diagnosis. I got the prescriptions, and they sent me to the dentist to get the cause taken care of.

I have totally neglected to mention I had another root canal yesterday, haven't I? So, yeah, nothing TOO serious, unless you count the searing pain in my jaw every time I ate, or drank anything hot. Or rolled over in my sleep. Or closed my mouth all the way.

The dentist remarked at one point that the nerve was calcified. I rather hope he meant that the pulpy part of the tooth was. Apparently, that's a common reaction to irritation in teeth. Nerves calcifying, though; that's a bit more serious.