Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

But I'd think the astrologers of the time (prior to the discovery of Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto) would have noticed that their predictions of people's personalities and futures differed from what was observed. And that the desire to find the source of this persistent error would have led to the discovery of these heavenly bodies.

:D

But I'd think the astrologers of the time (prior to the discovery of Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto) would have noticed that their predictions of people's personalities and futures differed from what was observed. And that the desire to find the source of this persistent error would have led to the discovery of these heavenly bodies.

:D

Well, according to my wikipedia link above, astrologers were the "backers" behind astronomers before science claimed them.

And, anyway the discovery of Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto would have as most, a marginal impact on the people of Earth anyway, so I can't imagine astrologers would care all that much.

Remember that astrology was one of mankind's earliest disciplines.

The two really weren't separable until after Newton. Kepler, one of the titanic figures at the turning point of scientific history, cast horoscopes a lot.

Newton dabbled in lots of stuff. As well as being one of the nastiest bastiches of his era.
Especially with calculus.

Is calculus elegant and beautiful? if so Newton could be the "Michelangelo of mathematics" :P

(anyway I like that phrase "Michelangelo of mathematics". If not Newton then who?)

Didn't he dabble in politics too? I think he served a term as a MP.

According to Wikipedia, "Newton was also a member of the Parliament of England from 1689 to 1690 and in 1701, but his only recorded comments were to complain about a cold draft in the chamber and request that the window be closed."

I've heard that applied to Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson' date=' both a bit later than Newton. FWIW.[/quote'] Yeah, but the Renaissance was over by then. :D Wikipedia also lists Leibniz, and Goethe as Renaissance Men, and lists Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson as polymaths.

According to Wikipedia' date=' "Newton was also a member of the Parliament of England from 1689 to 1690 and in 1701, but his only recorded comments were to complain about a cold draft in the chamber and request that the window be closed."[/quote'] Sounds like a scientist. :D I wonder if the comments were recorded in the language of mathematics. :)

Funny, I was just thinking about taking that one on. It's one of the only movies left here that I haven't seen.

I managed to survive Dungeons and Dragons, and actually was able to watch the sequel more than once, and grew up in an era that included the Barbarian Brothers and The Sword and The Sorcerer, so my tolerance for bad fantasy is pretty high.

besides...I'm a bit feverish and have had a bit o' rum... something dumb might be amusing right now.

Oh, I think if I had been in the right mood, I could of watched the whole thing for stupidity's sake. I was planning to wake up at 5am the next morning and drive six hours, so sleep sounded better.

Well, according to my wikipedia link above, astrologers were the "backers" behind astronomers before science claimed them.

And, anyway the discovery of Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto would have as most, a marginal impact on the people of Earth anyway, so I can't imagine astrologers would care all that much.

Bazza, I'm not sure how much you know about astrology. And I admit I haven't been following recent developments in the field.

But I can tell you that unless there's been a real revolution (pardon the expression) in astrology in the last decade or less, they care very much about Neptune, Uranus, and (at least as of a few years ago) Pluto. While not regarded as being nearly as important as, say, the Sun and Moon, they get (or got) an amount of attention comparable to that of the nearer planets.

Lucius Alexander

What do you expect, a palindromedary?

Bazza' date=' I'm not sure how much you know about astrology. And I admit I haven't been following recent developments in the field. [/quote'] You seem to know more than me. :hail:

(I'm by no mean a practicing astrologer; taking a guess. you are?)

Attention Zornwil !

Your alleged lackey Bazza has been acting up again. There is proof positive that he is in league with the evil bunny keyes_bill.

Witness the Greater Diety thread by Doc Democracy. When urged on page 3 to behead the treacherous evil bunny, Bazza tries to change the subject and leaves the bunny alone.

FOR SHAME !

The bunny would be unmerciful to him were the positions reversed.

The board looks to you to punish your alleged lackey in a suitable way.

How do you know that Zornwil isn't working for me now, too? :eg:

I'm bored.

I have too few distractions to keep me busy, but too many to get productive time on my NaNo.

I get my annual review today. Pointless, really, since they eliminated merit based pay years before I got here.

But wouldn't it influence pay increases to one degree or another, to the extent they occur?

How do you know that Zornwil isn't working for me now' date=' too? :eg:[/quote']

Well, we can discount that out of hand. :rolleyes:

What we don't know is why I'm so unconcerned with all this? :whistle:

Hey Bunny, do you need an ex-PM assistant on your payroll? I'll get the decapitations you miss. That we we can build us our quickening reserves and sell the excess on the black market. I'll handle the accounting for you.

Do we have a deal, oh mighty one?

But wouldn't it influence pay increases to one degree or another' date=' to the extent they occur?[/quote']

Sadly, no. We get yearly COLA here and that's it. Sometimes not even that, from what I hear. In theory the reviews could help for promotion purposes I suppose, but I've already avoided a promotion here intentionally so I'm not really worried about that. If it's bad enough then you may eventually get fired, but you would have to have at least two devastatingly bad reviews in a row, and you only get one a year, so it's not much of a threat even for awful employees. But my file looks good :cool:

Sadly' date=' no. We get yearly COLA here and that's it. Sometimes not even that, from what I hear. In theory the reviews could help for promotion purposes I suppose, but I've already avoided a promotion here intentionally so I'm not really worried about that. If it's bad enough then you may eventually get fired, but you would have to have at least two devastatingly bad reviews in a row, and you only get one a year, so it's not much of a threat even for awful employees. But my file looks good :cool:[/quote']

Ah well, good luck anyway as if it does change at least your file will be ready.